The Official MPG Thread

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last full tank in the Fusion was 29.5, guess avoiding traffic really helped things a little. Jill has been trying to get the Prius over 50, I have no idea if she's succeeding or not.

It's been 4 years... we've tried endless times. I don't think it can be done.

I'm getting 25 in the Century, combined miles (although mainly highway).

I had been getting 45-46 with me driving it a bit, so taking my lead foot out of the equation might get it close.

Thing is, several Prius forums advocated having a lead foot--accelerating hard to get up to speed, and coasting as much as you can. Highest we got was close to 49mpg... and it was so distracting watching the damn monitor, I felt like I was going to get into an accident just paying attention to my fuel economy.

'05 Cobalt LS (2.2L) with the automagic

Last tank: 27.8MPG purely stop-n-go

~300miles a tank

* on this particular tank I ran a bottle of injector cleaner

06 Honda CRV AWD...last tank...15MPG!

Avg (1 month of use): 19 MPG

Not good.

15? We're you trying to get poor mileage?

The GTO gets 14MPG driving like a bat out of a hell. Last tank I went a little easier on it and it got 15.2, all in city except for a mile or two on the highway.

Im still crunching the numbers, and adjusting my driving style (read: trying to make my foot unleaded).

On a recent trip to Niagara Falls for Canada Day, I had a combined 23 MPG, but it was skewed due to heavy traffic comming back (half an hour of 2 KPH :censored: ).

Currently, the Achieva is getting around 22.5 MPG (80% city).

Im on a second bootle of Penzoil Fuel System cleaner, and the 3100 is getting silky smooth. :thumbsup:

Im still crunching the numbers, and adjusting my driving style (read: trying to make my foot unleaded).

On a recent trip to Niagara Falls for Canada Day, I had a combined 23 MPG, but it was skewed due to heavy traffic comming back (half an hour of 2 KPH :censored: ).

Im on a second bootle of Penzoil Fuel System cleaner, and the 3100 is getting silky smooth. :thumbsup:

Anything you recommend I add for a hard shift out of first gear?

How well does that Penzoil stuff work Ted?

Last two tanks have both been 29.x mpg. One of the tanks includes 60 miles of highway. Figure about 80% city / 20% hwy for that tank. Otherwise most driving is 95-100% city, and my 3 year average is 25mpg. I have only recently (last 2 months) started driving without a lead foot, and I still have to catch myself often. I know this car can do 30+mpg in the city easily, I just have to be less aggressive. It's hard to do though, because everytime I flog it I get this giant grin on my face. :lol:

'99 Acura Integra coupe 5MT

I retract what I said about the Prius before. I haven't driven it in a year. Today, my car's muffler decided to go, so I took the Prius to class while mine was in the shop. I started the trip with 37.4 average mpg, and drove 10 minutes highway to and from class. When I was done, I was down to 36.6 average mpg. I almost want to say, why bother?

Maybe because I was driving it like my car--feathering the gas. I only hit the gas moderately once to merge. Still can't tolerate CVTs... they freak me out--I just keep waiting for a shift and get very uneasy when it doesn't.

Im not sure. :huh:

Do you have a hard shift out of first too? Since the car is 2 years old, the shift out of first into second is harsh. I had this problem with my friend's 87 (I think) Celebrity. I used to trick the tranny by easing up on the gas just as it was about to shift, and that softened it. When she bought her new Accord in 2002, she kept wondering why the car wouldn't make up its mind when to shift and I said, "Are you easing up on the gas right before it shifts?" Problem solved there. :AH-HA_wink:

I have to say, I miss the 3300! The engine, in my opinion, was just so much smoother when accelerating and was much smoother at 75.

Thing is, several Prius forums advocated having a lead foot--accelerating hard to get up to speed, and coasting as much as you can.

They probably dont recommend accelerating to 90 in the length of an on-ramp then holding that speed for any length of time.

They probably dont recommend accelerating to 90 in the length of an on-ramp then holding that speed for any length of time.

You could never get to 90 in that car on an on-ramp on Long Island...

I didn't take it above 70 today.

"Banana Boat" ('77 Coupe deVille) 14.0 mpg average

"Roadm0nster" (wife's '92 B-body Buick) 16.2 mpg average {can u say leadfoot?}

"B-59" (1959 LeSabre) 10.8 mpg last time it was driven, Feb. 2008.

How well does that Penzoil stuff work Ted?

Works very well as far as I can tell. I have used it to "smooth out" bad spark plugs in my moms 95 Lumina (before they were replaced). The Luminas 3100 runs ultra smooth right now (about 3 treatments of the cleaner in the last year).

My car was running good when I got it, but now, after my second cleaner treatment, its getting very silky and quiet.

Its probably best to do it before an oil change (someone will probably point that out if I don't).

my buddy called me today he was on the road with his early 2000's passat.

he has told me he normally doesn't get much over 20 in town. turbo, premium gas, tiptronic.

he called from the road and said his car was getting phenomenal mileage. all highway, 35+. BIG swing from the 20 +/- he gets in town.

he has told me he normally doesn't get much over 20 in town. turbo, premium gas, tiptronic.

he called from the road and said his car was getting phenomenal mileage. all highway, 35+. BIG swing from the 20 +/- he gets in town.

I don't know what happened to my post... but yeah, that's about what I get with my early-2000s Passat 1.8T automatic.

Unfortunately, I've never averaged more than 25 mpg over a tank, because I rarely use it to drive more than 30 highway miles one-way. I come off the freeway having averaged 31 mpg through mixed traffic, and by the time I get home, it drops to 22 mpg. That's what a mere five minutes of 13.5 mpg (6% uphill at 45 mph + the occasional killer traffic light) will do to you. Gotta love harmonic averaging.

All this has more to do with your route and traffic conditions than anything. Even if I hypermile, stare at the MPG-o-meter instead of the road, bog the engine, drive like a granny, never exceed 2500 rpm, and rarely use the turbo (with my recent driving, my engine's basically a naturally aspirated 1.8), I've been averaging 21-22 mpg during my drive to and from school.

1998 Subaru Imprezza 28.7

1987 Pontiac Trans Am 17.1

1991 Firebird Formula 16.9

2004 Chevy Trail Blazer 18.2

1987 Buick Regal S/W 16.1

That's damned good out of the subie, most of the subies I've known don't go over 22 or 23...

Chris

Just got 23.07 with the last fill up in the GP...and that's with about 80% highway, unimpressive.

Which is why I just LOVED my Concorde when I had it.

28-29 m.p.g. in 80% highway use.

I miss the Chrysler LX series cars.

Chris

I don't know what happened to my post... but yeah, that's about what I get with my early-2000s Passat 1.8T automatic.

Unfortunately, I've never averaged more than 25 mpg over a tank, because I rarely use it to drive more than 30 highway miles one-way. I come off the freeway having averaged 31 mpg through mixed traffic, and by the time I get home, it drops to 22 mpg. That's what a mere five minutes of 13.5 mpg (6% uphill at 45 mph + the occasional killer traffic light) will do to you. Gotta love harmonic averaging.

All this has more to do with your route and traffic conditions than anything. Even if I hypermile, stare at the MPG-o-meter instead of the road, bog the engine, drive like a granny, never exceed 2500 rpm, and rarely use the turbo (with my recent driving, my engine's basically a naturally aspirated 1.8), I've been averaging 21-22 mpg during my drive to and from school.

I haven't gone below 26mpg average on a tank in my 99 Passat. It has 150k miles, needs new spark plugs, never use premium gas, and I always average 27-29mpg. According to the readout in the dash, I get better gas mileage at 40 mph than I do at 75 mph.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Nope. Achieva shifts smooth through all gears. :lol:

Lucky man :)

My friend had a 94 Taurus that had a hard shift out of 1st also. My 92 Century had very smooth shifts--of course that had a different engine and transmission.

Oh well, for a car with over 178K miles, I can't complain.

I haven't gone below 26mpg average on a tank in my 99 Passat. It has 150k miles, needs new spark plugs, never use premium gas, and I always average 27-29mpg. According to the readout in the dash, I get better gas mileage at 40 mph than I do at 75 mph.

fueleconomy.gov shows great user mpg on turbo passats.

I test drove an 08 manual turbo yesterday. nice car..creepy interior though. good mpg is nice to know. for the record, i like the 9-3 a bit more than the passat because of the creepy interior. jetta has a nicer interior.