Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

Poor sleeping habits

50 posts in this topic

Since I started working I've been trying to get to bed a decent time so I can get 7-8 hours of sleep, be up at 6:30 so I can be well rested and ready for work at 8. That means going to bed at 10 or 11.

Well it's 12:38am right now so you can see where this is going.

Last week I did pretty well. However by nature I'm a night owl, and unfortunately I haven't been able to get to sleep this week until 1 or 2am. Well it finally caught with me and I fell asleep as soon as I got him untl 10:30. So Now I've had about 6 hours of sleep and I'm awake again.

meh...

What are your sleeping habits like?

Very irregular.

One night I might go to bed at 2 a.m. The next night 5 a.m. The next night 3 ... ish. I'll admit, it's a little old, but I can't seem to get myself out of it.

Additionally, I didn't sleep at all last night. Knowing that I had to leave at 8 a.m. to get to Lexington by 9 and knowing that I usually don't wake up until noon, I decided not to take the chance and pulled an all-nighter. I've probably downed a portion of my body weight in caffeine today. I also haven't taken one nap either.

Oddly, I smoke less and eat less when I'm sleep deprived. :blink:

In summers past when I worked for the county, I was the same way. I'm naturally a nightowl, but after a few weeks of being at work by 5:30 am and working til 6pm, I got used to being in bed by 8 or 9, and up the next morning around 4:30

Yeah my sleep habits are irregular as well. I'm hoping after a few weeks I'll fall into a pattern.

The problem that because I like to stay up, I do so on the weekend and then try to go to bed early Sunday, but since I was up till 3am and slep until like noon that doesn't work out.

Other problem, which I had all week this week, is that when I got home I was tired, but didn't want tog o to bed then and end up waking up in the middle of the night...like right now. However by the time 10 or 11 rolls around I'm wide awake and it takes a while for me to go to sleep because I'm awake.

The worst thing is when you lay down to go to sleep and start thinking about random things but can't shut your mind off.

I don't have the best sleeping habits, but I always manage to get 7-8 hours.

Some things I've done to help me sleep better is to drink milk before bed, and use earplugs; although that might be a problem for your significant other when it comes to alarm volume.

Another thing I do is not use the computer an hour before bed. Instead, I just lie down and watch the news on TV. For some reason, the computer kept me awake, whereas the TV on a low volume mellows me out.

When it comes to my mind wandering while awake in bed, I try to think about Intel P45 boards. Puts me out real quick. :P

Yeah my sleep habits are irregular as well. I'm hoping after a few weeks I'll fall into a pattern.

The problem that because I like to stay up, I do so on the weekend and then try to go to bed early Sunday, but since I was up till 3am and slep until like noon that doesn't work out.

Other problem, which I had all week this week, is that when I got home I was tired, but didn't want tog o to bed then and end up waking up in the middle of the night...like right now. However by the time 10 or 11 rolls around I'm wide awake and it takes a while for me to go to sleep because I'm awake.

The worst thing is when you lay down to go to sleep and start thinking about random things but can't shut your mind off.

I used to have that problem quite a lot when I was in school, still had a job, and a relationship (read: used to have a life). Usually when I got in that state of mind, I'd maybe give up on sleeping that night, maybe take a short nap and wake up, take a shower, and push on through the day, making sure to drink anything that could be a good pick-me-up. It isn't fun, I'll say that. It's also very hard not to just shut-down and crash when you get the chance.

Edited by whiteknight

Severe insomnia started in 1996, upgraded to just insomnia by 1997, and back to severe insomnia since June.

We have very basic cable so there's nothing good on. I usually watch an episode of TG or something on the computer before bed but that doesn't usually get me sleepy.

If we got the weather channel I would put that on and watch it. Nothing mellows you out like the forecast. :P

I need comedies or the Science Channel before bed. I like to laugh or be intrigued.

I suppose its strange that working on music usually helps me sleep. I always go to bed earlier when I'm trying to fix something I don't like in the structure or mixing of a song I'm doing.

If it tires you out that's not strange at all. If I can find something to do to get me tired I'll fall asleep within minutes. It's just being tired at the right time...10pm instead of 5pm or something.

sleep apnea

newborn

night owl

2 kids

unemployed and only time to be productive is when everyone else is asleep

sleep has been elusive.

oh yeah, and i make pots of french roast at 10 pm.

Stress keeps me awake and is hard on my health. It runs me down.

Im posting this at 5:23am. No, I have not slept yet.

Ditto for me at 6:09AM.

I do not require much sleep. If I got to bed too early 8,9, or 10 I will wake up at 2 or 3 am. I have to go to bed late in order to wake up at my normal time of 4 to 5 am. I then get up and do my exercises. I cannot sleep late on the weekends either. I do not use an alarm clock to get up either. If I sleep late, I get physically ill. It is not a joke. I will be in great physical pain with a heavy head. That is why I never sleep in or sleep late.

sleep what sleep? I suffer severe Insomnia so i rely on coffee for my "rest"

I usually sleep very well. What I cannot do, however, is sleep more than 6 hours... it's really annoying to go to bed early because I feel tired and then wake up at 5am...

I don't do to well myself. I go to bed around 11 and need to be up at 5:30. So that would be 6 1/2 hours but I can't fall asleep then I get up 2 or 3 times a night for sometime for the bathroom and other times I don't know why I got up so I go get a snack.

working 2nd (1430-2300) it was hard for me to even make it to 12:30 back when adult swim had the best lineup... then for a while i was up til 0200-0300 and sleeping til 10-11. hated sleeping half the day away.

when i needs teh sleeps i reach for the flyod folder on the computer or mp3 player. one of may faves is the dark side of the moon or one of the long songs such as

(my super fav pairing of the song... interesting too.)

Since living in California again (less than 2 years), I have not slept well at all.

I love to sleep. I used to take a nap in the early evening for 2 hours. I used to then get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep. No longer.

I take Ambien generic. I went for months without sleep prior to getting it prescribed. It generally works well (unless there has been a very stressful episode) and I wake up feeling completely alert. I recommend that anyone who has sleeping problems get help. The solution is often feasible.

I try and get to sleep at about 10-10:30 Sun-Thur nights, up at 5:15-5:30 Mon-Fri. Friday and Sat nights stay up till 11-12 or so, sleep in until 7-7:30. Ambien is my friend. On the weekends, I often take a 1-2 hr afternoon nap. I treasure that.

I usually don't use an alarm clock except Monday mornings..the dogs wake me before 5:30 usually.

I've been prone to insomnia in the past, still get it once in a while. When I was younger and in college and grad school, I was a total night owl..but over the last 12+ years, I've become a morning person...

When I was younger and in college and grad school, I was a total night owl

..become a morning person...

So many people I know are night owls. Even as a teenager, I never did much at night, except come home when the movie at the theater ended and, every once in a while, end up at Bob's Big Boy eating "the combo" with my friends. It probably goes with not liking to drive at night, either. I like seeing everything fairly clearly.

I couldn't study at night. My concentration went out the window right at about 11 pm, which was when the library closed anyway.

I've always been a morning person.

Edited by trinacriabob

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0