Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

GM - Saturn - Penske deal is DEAD!

60 posts in this topic

GM - Saturn - Penske deal is DEAD!

Today we learned that Penske Automotive Group (PAG) has decided to terminate discussions with General Motors to acquire Saturn. This is very disappointing news and comes after months of hard work by hundreds of dedicated employees and Saturn retailers who tried to make the new Saturn a reality. PAG's announcement explained that their decision was not based on interactions with GM or Saturn retailers; rather it was because of the inability to source new products beyond what it had asked GM to build on contract.
As a result of PAG's decision, we will be winding down the Saturn brand and dealership network, in accordance with the wind-down agreements that Saturn dealers recently signed with GM. Pursuant to the terms of those agreements, the wind down process will be determined and communicated shortly.

Saturn customers and owners will continue to be able to purchase and have their vehicles serviced at Saturn retailers during this process. Once the wind down is complete, Saturn owners will still be able to have their vehicles serviced at other GM dealerships. We will be communicating with our customers very soon to explain the next steps in this process.

Today's disappointing news comes at a time when we'd hoped for a successful launch of the Saturn brand into a new chapter. We will be working closely with our dealers to ensure Saturn customers are cared for as we transition them to other GM dealers in the months ahead. I'd also like to thank every GM employee and Saturn retailer who worked so hard to try to make this new beginning happen for Saturn.

GM - Penske Deal is Dead

Doh!

...I guess it's too late for someone else to buy Saturn at this point.

Edited by aaaantoine

Wow, I feel really bad for all those Saturn dealers who were patiently waiting for Penske to take over. Now they're all going to be unemployed by the end of the year especially at a time where the automotive market is in such chaos.

I hope some other foreign automaker looking to set up shop in the US will step in at the last moment at least so all those jobs will be saved... but I'm not holding my breath.

I still think it was moreso 'too much for Penske to chew' than future product worries. Something doesn't ring straight-up for me here... and I doubted the potential success of the whole thing from the start.

I still think it was moreso 'too much for Penske to chew' than future product worries. Something doesn't ring straight-up for me here... and I doubted the potential success of the whole thing from the start.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Wow...sad...and sorry to see this happen to our local Saturn retailers.

Chris

Sourcing cars from Renault-Samsung was dubious, and how could Renault compete with itself [Nissan]?

So, Roger Smith's 'pie in the sky' is finally put down. And all the money spent on the "Saturn Project" could have helped the rest of GM since 1985!!!

Sourcing cars from Renault-Samsung was dubious, and how could Renault compete with itself [Nissan]?

So, Roger Smith's 'pie in the sky' is finally put down. And all the money spent on the "Saturn Project" could have helped the rest of GM since 1985!!!

Or GM could have not squandered what Saturn could have been, and may have been better off today than it is. It's all too easy to guess at what could have been.

This might be a first, but I'm with you.

Meh. I predict about 1/100th of the outcry for Saturn compared to what they did to Pontiac.

A misappropriation of funds from the start.

And now all those jobs lost at the retail level. That is the only thing that burns me.

I'll just miss the dent resistant plastic body panels, but those were gone a while ago anyway! To me, Saturn died when Spring Hill built, polymer clad vehicles stopped showing up at the dealers!

I think the Ion's whole design turned off Saturn buyers more than just dropping plastic panels! It was a mess.

I'd say Ion is top of the 'What killed Saturn?' list, next is the L cars, and then the expensive SUV's.

RIP Saturn, although it really wasn't quite the same to me since the plastic body panels and Spring Hill, TN plant were "rethought". I feel most for my former co-workers at my Saturn retailer which have been just barely hanging on for months now.

So, I have a Saturn and an Oldsmobile in the driveway right now. Should I try being a Toyota buyer for a while just in case i'm some kinda car brand jinx? :D

Edited by fightingbee

RIP Saturn, although it really wasn't quite the same to me since the plastic body panels and Spring Hill, TN plant were "rethought".

So, I have a Saturn and an Oldsmobile in the driveway right now. Should I try being a Toyota buyer for a while just in case i'm some kinda car brand jinx? :D

I don't know, they seem to be screwing-up without your help lately. :lol:

That wa smy thought.

I wonder how the slow auto market may have played into this. Cars sales are down to the point even the top sellers like Toyota are hurting. Even for Roger Penske it would have been difficult to bring Saturn back from the dead in this market. At this point I not sure how soon it will recover.

I still think one of the makers from China may have an interest in going to the owners of the Saturn dealers and setting up shop in their stores. It is a ready made dealer network with nice stores and a trained staff.

I always wondered where Roger would get his non GM cars. Nothing ever looked solid in the deals we were told about.

I feel sorry for the dealers who invested millions of dollars into their Saturn dealerships and for the nearly 13,000 people who will eventually lose their jobs. Also for my uncle who was a very loyal Saturn customer ...

I feel sorry for the dealers who invested millions of dollars into their Saturn dealerships and for the nearly 13,000 people who will eventually lose their jobs. Also for my uncle who was a very loyal Saturn customer ...

I have to agree on those points, but I hope Roger Smith is redlining in his grave (is he dead yet?)

Rotten SOB set this whole mess in motion.

I have to agree on those points, but I hope Roger Smith is redlining in his grave (is he dead yet?)

Rotten SOB set this whole mess in motion.

Well you know my feelings on that ... And yes he is ...

Edited by PCS

I was surprised Penske wanted Saturn in the first place. I see this as good news, it is less competition for Chevy.

I think the Ion's whole design turned off Saturn buyers more than just dropping plastic panels! It was a mess.

I'd say Ion is top of the 'What killed Saturn?' list, next is the L cars, and then the expensive SUV's.

Yeah...the hideously styled, cheap and nasty interior and wierd exterior styling didn't help the Ion. The Astra was a superior car, but too late.

yet you can still buy mitsubishis

buick lives, saturn and pontiac do not.

for me, i wanted to buy an astra. i assume there is none new left to pick from, i wonder, astras, auras, outlooks, does resale and used values TANK now?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0