How Much For That Buick Verano In The Window?

William Maley

2012 Buick Verano Starts at $23,470

New addition to portfolio expected to attract new customers to luxury brand

post-10485-0-69983800-1315332945.png

2011-09-06 - DETROIT – The all-new 2012 Buick Verano luxury sedan, which goes on sale later this year, will have a starting price of $23,470 including $885 in destination charges.

The Verano offers more passenger and cargo volume than the Acura TSX sedan or Lexus IS 250.

“Verano is a great new addition to Buick because it expands the brand’s reach,” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing. “With Verano, we’re inviting new customers into the Buick family, giving us the opportunity and privilege of building longtime Buick loyalty.”

Verano is Buick’s third all-new model in the past three years and the first in the compact segment, delivering the premium features and luxury characteristics that have helped make Buick one of the fastest-growing automotive brands in North America.

The car will be offered in three models, with the top model carrying a suggested retail price of $26,850, including destination charge. All models are powered by a fuel-efficient 2.4L four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that delivers 180 hp at 6,700 rpm with 171 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,900 rpm.

The Verano’s exterior is distinguished by sleek lines, blue translucent projector beam headlamps and standard fog lamps and 18-inch multi-spoke, forged alloy, silver-finish wheels, with a premium 18-inch split spoke wheel design available on certain models.

The Verano interior is designed for exceptional seat comfort and support, and contains Buick’s signature acoustic refinement and premium soft-touch materials inspired by the award-winning Buick LaCrosse. A dozen noise-reducing and noise-cancelling technologies are used in more than 50 areas of Verano’s body structure for increased cabin isolation and quietness.

“Rich leather appointments, warm wood tones, metallic accents, soft ambient lighting and intelligent technologies make the cabin an inviting environment,” said David Lyon, executive director of Verano’s design.

Verano standard features include leatherette seating, high-resolution 7-inch diagonal LED backlit color-touch radio display with IntelliLink technology and 10 standard air bags. Automatic climate control, remote start, power windows and steering wheel radio controls are also standard.

The up-level model features the same leather materials used in the LaCrosse. The Verano’s seat heaters automatically activate in temperatures below 45 F (7 C) when using the remote start function, along with rear defogger on all models and heated outside mirrors. Verano also features an available heated steering wheel – an option not found vehicles like the Lexus IS250 or Infiniti G25. Push-button engine start is available on lower-level models, and is standard on the up-level model.

The standard all-new Buick IntelliLink system uses Bluetooth or USB to connect a driver’s smartphone to the touch-screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on Buick’s current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smartphone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. Full functionality requires a compatible Smartphone and data plan rates apply.

In addition to Buick IntelliLink, a nine-speaker Bose sound system specifically engineered for the Verano’s interior is available on all trim levels.

OnStar is standard for six months on all Verano models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to call for help in the event of a collision. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to send help to other motorists and to call for help in other non-collision emergencies.

Looks decent, but I'd still prefer a Focus Titanium.

The competitors list GM has is quite aspirational, to say the least. Its actual competitors are likely comparably priced family sedans that are larger but have less equipment. Verano won't have any fuel economy advantage over a Camry or Accord, so it should be interesting to see if people are willing to trade features for space.

It will be intersting to see how the public takes to this car. I really want to see how it performs in handling, ride, quiet and power. Keep in mind I am not now should any of us expect a GN here as that is not who it is targeted.

I think in tough times and while everyones 401K is taking a plunge this car may hit a cord with the public at just the right time.

To be honest I thought the car was a mistake till I saw it in person. If it is enjoyable and comfortable to drive it should do well at this price.

As for the LTZ it had to be more as not to take sales away base on price only. I see this car getting things you just can't get in a Chevy. GM is working hard to make them different and it really shows with the car they now have.

hopefully this will be on the short list of getting the 2.5L quickly, just to keep the premium apperance of it's place. won't people cross shop this price with malibus?

Price maybe, but the audience is completely different. You have a premium compact vs. your average family sedan. Different sizes, different equipment, etc.

The market has needed a car like this, before the Jetta was in the $20-30k range, but has since moved down market. Plus the Jetta was a stiff riding car with firm seats, there wasn't a car for people that want soft ride a some creature comforts that was small. So now we have to see how it sells.

They are disavowing their manufacturing history when they say this is the first-ever compact Buick. It made me stop reading the press release. I mean really... the 1961 Special up to the last N-body Skylark... that's a LONG history of compact Buicks, AND they went even smaller with the Skyhawks.

I really like the Verano though, and I expect it to do well... to me it straddles TSX and MKZ, leaning more toward MKZ (or Milan Premier actually). Right now I don't see it conquesting Acura. Acura is harder, sportier at the low end (even though it's nothing but a Euro Accord, yeah). Maybe Lexus ES... but not IS, as mentioned in the press release. :huh:

Jeez... the Verano stands alone in the market. Maybe the turbocharged, manual transmission model will change my perception of the car.

The Cruze has set a benchmark of what a small car can be. The Buick I expect is going to take this to the next level. This is not going to be just another GM car with some extra trim and chome but I suspect the dynamics of the car will be totaly changed from the Cruze.

This is where I am interested in the ride and handling. I don't expect a BMW but I also don't expect another floaty Buick of old. The Cruze has been declared a small car for adults and think the Buick can take this to the next level.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Cruze has set a benchmark of what a small car can be. The Buick I expect is going to take this to the next level. This is not going to be just another GM car with some extra trim and chome but I suspect the dynamics of the car will be totaly changed from the Cruze.

This is where I am interested in the ride and handling. I don't expect a BMW but I also don't expect another floaty Buick of old. The Cruze has been declared a small car for adults and think the Buick can take this to the next level.

I completely agree. New Buicks aren't anywhere near the floatiness of the older ones. The Regal handles nicely while the ride is not intrusive. Some say the LaCrosse is still too soft, but I like it. I think the Verano will feel solid and confident on the road. 180hp as a base engine in the little thing will definitely give it some scoot... with the turbo, the HiPer strut and a few tweaks, it may be damn near fun.

This is why I'm interested in the Buick Verano. I prefer a larger vehicle, but at the same time it's just the wife and I commuting together to work approximately 68 miles Mon-Fri (roundtrip). A smaller, fuel efficient commuter car with luxury appointments could be the ticket, assuming I can get over my dislike of 4 cylinder engines.

i think it seems priced well out of the chute, has lots of luxury / coddling items for the GM lovers who can't afford a Caddy nor want a RWD caddy.

Buick Cimmaron? Maybe....but it should do well. Buick will only want to hit sales targets. Might be the best blend of luxury yet economy and price out there if this works out. Heated steering wheel? sweet.

Folks in the northern climes gush over $h! that makes winter driving less painful.....what some folks think is stupid....like remote start and automatic activating heated seats might make more difference on the sales charts than 0-60.

For sure this car will embarrass the Jetta in terms interior nice and luxury and refinement.

My only concern is position with the Regal and such. Base Regals will have to go up? Is the Regal much larger? NOW may be the best time ever to get the Regal if half what this Verano does is just jack up the price of the Regal.

THis car does look classier than the Focus. I like the Focus, but it's a bit bland and egglike yet overdone at the same time.

IMO the Cruze is today's Grand Am and this is probably today's Alero.

Edited by regfootball

Starting price seems a bit on the inexpensive side...

This is basically a lux-ized Astra? Charge too much for it, and the press will just compare it to the Saturn Astra pricing & say it's outrageous.

First the Opel is going up market so this may be a good sign of what the new Astra will be more like in the future. Second few here know what a Opel Astra is like or even is. The compare will be to the Cruze and the key it to make it different enough to prove it is worth the extra money to those who whant more. Other wise GM will get slapped with the old rebaged comments like they did with past Buicks. This is why the performance dynamic of the car needs to be different in how it rides, drives and feels. While it may be based on the same car if most feel like a different car.

Lets face it the Skylark X body esd just a Citation in feel and performance but with more chrome.

Buick need an absolute clone of the Astra coupe here, no softening or Americanization like is being done with the sedan.

I would say the wagon is needed also.

Just import the wagon and hatch in low volumes and keep the Opel ness.

I get the funny feeling we may see a 5 door hatch and coupe in this car in time. Just a guess on my part. GM has made it clear new models will be added as time goes on and not all of them will be done in one model year.

With news of the Regal wagon not happening and a Regal coupe in the future the smaller car could use a 5 door hatch to make it more useful. Even as ugly as it was people did move to the Malibu hatch in good numbers.

Wagons here are just a hard sell unless you are a German brand. Todays public has no real love for the traditional wagon. Make it more like a SUV and people start to get interested. Case in point the HHR sold better than any Cavalier wagon ever did. Lutz's plan to use it vs a Cobalt wagon was the right move. Yes it is basically the same car just with a higher truck like body but it was what people bought in great numbers.

Edited by hyperv6

This is basically a lux-ized Astra? Charge too much for it, and the press will just compare it to the Saturn Astra pricing & say it's outrageous.

First the Opel is going up market so this may be a good sign of what the new Astra will be more like in the future. Second few here know what a Opel Astra is like or even is. The compare will be to the Cruze and the key it to make it different enough to prove it is worth the extra money to those who whant more.

I agree the Cruze will be the more common and notable comparison, but I can easily foresee a reviewer that doesn't like the car to heap on the "this is basically an Astra, which was sold here as a Saturn just a couple years ago for about $5k less". And of course they'll overlook that it's a different generation Astra, and that the Buick has a small heaping of extra lux goodies than the Astra Saturn got. When a reviewer decides to have a beef, logic isn't prevalent, and I expect this to come up. Question is whether it'll be an occasional thing, or a trend among reviewers, and if the public notices or cares.

First the Opel is going up market so this may be a good sign of what the new Astra will be more like in the future. Second few here know what a Opel Astra is like or even is. The compare will be to the Cruze and the key it to make it different enough to prove it is worth the extra money to those who whant more.

I agree the Cruze will be the more common and notable comparison, but I can easily foresee a reviewer that doesn't like the car to heap on the "this is basically an Astra, which was sold here as a Saturn just a couple years ago for about $5k less". And of course they'll overlook that it's a different generation Astra, and that the Buick has a small heaping of extra lux goodies than the Astra Saturn got. When a reviewer decides to have a beef, logic isn't prevalent, and I expect this to come up. Question is whether it'll be an occasional thing, or a trend among reviewers, and if the public notices or cares.

What I find interesting--and something no reporter has brought up yet--is how Chevrolet (nee Daewoo) has traditionally been the value brand beneath the mainstream Opel brand, which competes against Ford and VW. Yet in the US, GM charges extra for the Astra (i.e., Verano) and gives us a Cruze for Focus money.

What I find interesting--and something no reporter has brought up yet--is how Chevrolet (nee Daewoo) has traditionally been the value brand beneath the mainstream Opel brand, which competes against Ford and VW. Yet in the US, GM charges extra for the Astra (i.e., Verano) and gives us a Cruze for Focus money.

Different brand alignment in different markets.

Good news, indeed. At some point in 2012 we're going to compare the Verano and LaCrosse (I like the Verano, the wife loves the LaCrosse), and maybe one will end up in the driveway as the G6's replacement ;)

Take the LaCrosse, just for the space and better feature set.

I think in more ways than one you will find this is not just a Saturn Aura. They did put a lot more into this car and I think it will show. Just for one they Hyprstruts and other new technology that we know of have even set cars like the lecross appart from the earlier versions without. The press raved on them alone. Add to this the other added things. This car is more than just another Opel.

That is changing in Europe. GM has moved Chevy in to compete with Ford and VW and plan to make Opel more upscale. That is if they don't sell them off or what ever the most recent rumor is. Opel is becoming the Buick of Europe.

I see Buick going more Audi like in the Future. We have really not seen where Buick will go yet. The cars we have are really just what they had done and finished when they got the money. I think real change is to come yet. Think of these cars as just filler in the market till they can move to where they want to be. I suspect all these cars that they have now will not be around very long till they are replaced. We may see them for 5 years and then they will move more upscale.

It also will be a matter of timing to move them up as Cadillac leaves the lower market. Cadillac is moving to a more high tech and advanced cars per Mark Ruess and that tells me they will get higher prices too. I suspect the next CTS will be not only more advance the much more money now the ATS is here. He also stated Cadillac should not be all about V8 and Superchagers but advance tech and comfort.

I see the gap between Chevy and Cadillac growing and when it does it will give Buick more room to be themselves.

Edited by hyperv6

That is changing in Europe. GM has moved Chevy in to compete with Ford and VW and plan to make Opel more upscale. That is if they don't sell them off or what ever the most recent rumor is. Opel is becoming the Buick of Europe.

I see Buick going more Audi like in the Future. We have really not seen where Buick will go yet. The cars we have are really just what they had done and finished when they got the money. I think real change is to come yet. Think of these cars as just filler in the market till they can move to where they want to be. I suspect all these cars that they have now will not be around very long till they are replaced. We may see them for 5 years and then they will move more upscale.

It also will be a matter of timing to move them up as Cadillac leaves the lower market. Cadillac is moving to a more high tech and advanced cars per Mark Ruess and that tells me they will get higher prices too. I suspect the next CTS will be not only more advance the much more money now the ATS is here. He also stated Cadillac should not be all about V8 and Superchagers but advance tech and comfort.

I see the gap between Chevy and Cadillac growing and when it does it will give Buick more room to be themselves.

In that case, I wish them luck. Ford and VW have had a long history in Europe--designing, engineering, and building their cars there. Chevrolet has existed only for 6 years, and their tagline used to be "Daewoo has grown up enough to become Chevrolet." AFAIK, all their cars are still imported from Korea.

BTW, I don't think they have Chevy in Europe; it's only called Chevrolet.

Edited by pow

The Verano appeals to me more than the Focus or Cruze, but I have read the fuel economy is only 22/31, which is pathetic when the Camry will have 25/35.

The Cruze is 26/38, so I really want to know where the huge drop comes from if your Verano figures are correct.

The Verano appeals to me more than the Focus or Cruze, but I have read the fuel economy is only 22/31, which is pathetic when the Camry will have 25/35.

The Cruze is 26/38, so I really want to know where the huge drop comes from if your Verano figures are correct.

Bigger engine than any that are in the Cruze?

Bigger engine, more power, more options, more quiet = Less miles.

With the way GM is doing the hybrid thing they may do with it like the Lacrosse and add a high mileage version too.

Keep in mind of all the Eco based cars GM has now you will find the MPG's are more than listed by GM. I have found they all get 2-5 MPG better in normal driving. My HHR was listed 19 MPG city and I have never goteen worse than 22 City driving it like I stole it. I have a couple of friends with a new Cruze and both better the MPG 2-4 MPG that was listed. I have seen this on other GM eco powered cars too. I don't know if it is GM that is doing this or if it is just the way the goverments new way of figuring it is doing this. I am sure if you drive in some kind of way it may be worst case but even with my hard driving I still better their numbers as do many others.

Edited by hyperv6

While I agree with you that it'd make sense for all of those things to bring down the numbers, the Malibu with a non-direct injected 2.4 gets 22/33, and weighs over 3400 lbs. The Verano will have a DI 2.4 (which as I understand improves fuel economy and power slightly while reducing emissions), and weighs less at 3300lbs, so the numbers are perplexing.

While I agree with you that it'd make sense for all of those things to bring down the numbers, the Malibu with a non-direct injected 2.4 gets 22/33, and weighs over 3400 lbs. The Verano will have a DI 2.4 (which as I understand improves fuel economy and power slightly while reducing emissions), and weighs less at 3300lbs, so the numbers are perplexing.

Gearing for imporved performance. Our Silverodo here MPG sucks because of the gearing in it.

There should be a Verano offered with mpg's within 1-2 of the Cruze. Not everyone wants a bigger engine with more power in a Buick--some people just want a better style/interior.

Also: is e-Assist going to eat up all of the trunk like with the Regal? Because that's bad. At least I'm this Buick will get e-Assist eventually because didn't they just say a few months ago that every Buick would be getting it?

Edited by Croc

There should be a Verano offered with mpg's within 1-2 of the Cruze. Not everyone wants a bigger engine with more power in a Buick--some people just want a better style/interior.

If done right, the 2.0T Verano could be that car. The HYUNDAISONATATURBO does 34 mpg and 274 hp.

But the 2.0Ts on the Regal have been quite disappointing so far. There's something about that car that saps power from the wheels. Even the GS has slower acceleration than a similarly porky 211-hp A4. The base Regal is slower than every other midsize car apart from the Prius.

If done right, the 2.0T Verano could be that car. The HYUNDAISONATATURBO does 34 mpg and 274 hp.

But the 2.0Ts on the Regal have been quite disappointing so far. There's something about that car that saps power from the wheels. Even the GS has slower acceleration than a similarly porky 211-hp A4. The base Regal is slower than every other midsize car apart from the Prius.

Exactly...and some people like me aren't really interested in curing cancer with my tailpipe emissions or purifying greywater with my cooling system, and thus do not want a HYUNDAISONATATURBO.

Honestly I'm just a really cheap bastard who has incredibly high standards and impeccable taste.

it is absolutely clear when you drive the sonata and the regal that the level of refinement in the regal is more.

hyundai has stepped it up, but it is becoming evident that even though their newest hardware has game, it still exposes itself as incomplete.

that is not to suggest that the regal has all of it going on, but it just is obvious that the regal is more refined, and more solid, and dare i say more of a keeper.

I don't think the Regal and Sonata are really comparable.. There is a big size and price difference. Might as well compare the A4 to the Malibu.

Well, both the Sonata and Regal are midsize mainstream FWD sedans. Same formula. One step above the entry level midsize for their respective companies (Optima and Malibu). Makes sense to compare them.

I don't think the Regal and Sonata are really comparable.. There is a big size and price difference. Might as well compare the A4 to the Malibu.

Well, both the Sonata and Regal are midsize mainstream FWD sedans. Same formula. One step above the entry level midsize for their respective companies (Optima and Malibu). Makes sense to compare them.

Sonata is a fullsize and not above the Optima, they are very similar in price depending on options. You might as well compare the Regal to a Taurus or Impala.

Sonata is a fullsize and not above the Optima, they are very similar in price depending on options. You might as well compare the Regal to a Taurus or Impala.

Sonata is a midsize. Azera is the full size.

My point was that Hyundai is supposed to be a step above Kia, like Buick is a step above Chevy.

The Sonata and Regal are both 4cyl FWD midsize sedans..they are more similar than different.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The Regal turbo for some here come across as if it is some kind of a performance car which I don't understand. It is a sporty sedan but it is not a sports sedan and has never claimed to be. Just because a car has a turbo no longer means it is a sport sedan or performance car.

The fact is the Regal is a bridge to where GM is going and not the destination. THey needed something quick to market and they got it. We will see this car move and evolve into a much better car in the future.

As for the Sonata. It will be like many other Asian cars here in the midwest when it is 10 years old, Rare. You pay less because this car is all upfront. In time it will rust and fail like they did in the past. Hyundai is playing the middle between quaility/refinement and cost. These cars will not last for ever mechanically like a Cobalt or Beretta. GM trumed the mechanical end and always short cutted the interior and trim. GM car may not look pretty but they keep on running like the ever ready bunny.