Tesla Model 3 "Recommended" Rating Rescinded by Consumer Reports

Drew Dowdell

Consumer Reports has rescinded the "Recommended" rating after a high number of survey responses came back with reliability complaints.  Survey respondents have indicated that the electronics in the car have issues such the screen freezing or acting as though it was being touched rapidly in multiple locations.  This issue would cause music to play, volume to increase to maximum, or the navigation map panning and resizing. 

Some owners reported issues with trim and paint, with a few, including CR themselves, experiencing a large crack in the rear glass. 

When the Model 3 came out in 2017 it received an initial rating of average based on the fact that it shares so much technology with the then average rated Model S.  Some early adopters reported issues with braking that dropped the score to below average.  Telsa issued an over-the-air update to correct the braking issue and the score returned to average. 

The Model S's rating has been inconsistant as Telsa has made hardware changes over the years.  CR dropped the "Recommended" rating from the Model S in the fall of 2018 due to issues with the suspension. Tesla made AWD and air suspension standard on the Model S for model year 2017.

The Model X has always had a below average rating and has never earned a "Recommended" largely due to problems with its falcon-wing doors. 

Tesla is expected to debut a new crossover this year along with the production version of its Semi-truck.

View full article

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Waiting to see which established automaker steals Tesla's Mojo. I am convinced it is absolutely going to happen.

I don't think one will.  People buy Teslas for the same reason they run out and buy the latest iPhone. It's a status and brand snob thing.   I think Rivian could rival Tesla if they can launch without the kwality issues that Tesla has. 

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Indeed. They seem to have swagger without having hubris. 

Agree completely...interested to see how that winds up.

I think you guys put too much fate into a car manufacturer that built only couple prototypes.  Let Rivian built few thousands vehicles first and than will see.

Musk is crazy but he also the genius and the driving force for innovation in Tesla.  Without him Tesla will become just like Apple without Jobs, boring corporation controlled by accountants and lawyers.

Edited by ykX
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think you guys put too much fate into a car manufacturer that built only couple prototypes.  Let Rivian built few thousands vehicles first and than will see.

Musk is crazy but he also the genius and the driving force for innovation in Tesla.  Without him Tesla will become just like Apple without Jobs, boring corporation controlled by accountants and lawyers.

Sadly, you're probably right that we've got too much hopeful thinking going on.  Still.. if Amazon and GM are putting hundreds of millions into them, there must be something to it. I think one of the things they have going for them is they are not shunning existing methods of manufacturing like Tesla did.  That put a lot of issues into the Model 3 and Model X that didn't need to be there. 

• Agree 1

Jeff Bezos also helped out Blue Origin. 

SpacEx is astronomical units ahead there.

Rivian has a concept. Remember when Faraway Future was making noise? Then some Chinese LeEco guy invested like a billion dollars.

What about Lucid? There were rumours Ford was taking a look?

And then there was some controversy with that?

Rivian is basically a boxy styling Faraway at this point.

• Agree 1

Rivian is building brand awareness based on normal people lifestyle something Tesla has NOT achieved.

Plus you also have the fact that Tesla has REMOVED their $35,000 car option from the web site and configuration system. This has raised many concerns among the $1,000 reservation holders.

Lots of stories from various sites on this:

https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-standard-model-3-battery-website-fans-panic/

https://motorlinks-wp.azurewebsites.net/2019/02/18/tesla-removes-any-mention-of-standard-model-3-battery-from-website-fans-panic/

https://www.eqmagpro.com/tesla-removes-any-mention-of-standard-model-3-battery-from-website-fans-panic/

Even YouTube has a story on it:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

focusing pointedly on genitalia

lol Balthy... just lol  :roflmao:

Actually I've had one recall on my particular Jeepiat.  It was for an incomplete owner's manual, which FCA remedied by... sending me a new owner's manual.  How exciting.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

a poster shows up bi

6 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

c&g 2005: CONSUMER REPORTS IS TEH BIASED AGAINST GEE EMM, THEY SHOULD STICK TO REVIEWING DISHWASHERS

c&g 2019: MY PENIS IS TINY AND THAT MAKES ME HATE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TESLA'S, GO CONSUMER REPORTS LOLOL

😢  I'm so glad you remembered, and took to heart, what I said in 2005.  You sir, are pointedly focused.

17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

lol Balthy... just lol  :roflmao:

Actually I've had one recall on my particular Jeepiat.  It was for an incomplete owner's manual, which FCA remedied by... sending me a new owner's manual.  How exciting.

😢  I'm so glad you remembered, and took to heart, what I said in 2005.  You sir, are pointedly focused.

Well...

You either swear by Consumer's Report or you dont...

If, in 2005 you found that Consumer's Report was crap because it crapped on your favorite brand, then in 2019, you cant just magically start respecting Consumer's Report's reports just because THIS time around you like what you hear from them...

And then start calling out people on it on how you are a wizard for hatin' on the brand Consumer's Report dissed on...

I...LOATHE Consumer's Report even for dishwashers...

Tesla cars arent even close to being built without faults. Like far far from...

But they are built to a world wide standard that is more than satisfactory...

Fiat...there is NO surprise that Fiat cars were always built lower than the industry average. Its common knowledge. 

Nobody needs Consumer's Reports findings to acknowledge that fact.

Ford...on the Fusion has had plenty of quality recalls...

I dont see you, Blu, waving the Conser Report report on the Fusion and laughing...

You dont see me dissing on Ford nor do you see me complimenting Consumer's Report just because it suits my dumb ass biased agenda...

I never got flaky and sentimental when GM was and probably still gets dissed by Consumer's Report, nor do I cheer for Consumer's Report when they sometimes downgrade a Toyota product...

THIS is why, once again, your genitalia and your ownership of a Chrysler/Fiat product gets shat on by some...

Tesla cars have got something that GM/FoMoCo/Chrysler cars has lost a long time ago.  But...truth be told, GM/FoMoCo/and Mopar trucks have never lost, and Corvette, Mustang and Challenger will NEVER lose...

Image result for deal with it gif

But it is fun to seeing the pissing matches between you and the others regarding this Jeepiat/Tesla feud...

Thanx for the long lasting memories! 

• Haha 2

It's called cherry picking.  Try it, you might like it.  Go ahead, just pop one here, pop one there... pretty soon, you'll be a "man about town" with all those popped cherries under your belt.

Consumer Reports is not the only authoritative entity displeased with Tesla's quality.  Ocnblu's C&G Rating System, for example, has awarded the most downvotes in history to the Tesla brand, and the entire atmosphere around it.  And I am sure there will be moar coming.  STAY TUNED, MY CANADIAN COMPADRE!

• Haha 4

Jeep and Chrysler is consistently rated at the bottom of pretty much ALL the reliability ratings. 

Does it make excuse for Tesla? No

But I would not laugh too hard over Tesla if I owned an FCA product.  And I don't think excuse as such my X or Y car never gave any problems work.  I am sure plenty of Tesla owners who have no issues either.  These are statistical analysis that look at overall product lines.

• Haha 1

There is ONE slight difference. Fiats are known quality problem child- going back... forever. It's expected.

Tesla is a brand new, luxury-priced entity; pointing out widespread quality issues isn't a bash as much as it's a public service announcement. Think of the 100s of thousands of depositers who might be making a very regretable mistake, that can be saved from a potential headache and save $50K-60K. Thats' just being neighborly, IMO. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

CR just released their report of where all the auto makers stand in their Brand Report Card. Pretty Interesting, some I agree with, others I clearly do not.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-driving/which-car-brands-make-the-best-vehicles/

image.png

20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Genesis way up there... I'm surprised. I wish they would update their out of date infotainment system. I would consider on then.

So, you're saying Genesis is in the beginning stages of something great?

We call them "Jennays" (in a Forrest Gump Accent GLS) at work

• Haha 1