So the wife has narrowed her choices down...

Which vehicle would you choose?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Need some input before the wife makes her "decision"

• 2008 Saturn VUE XR FWD
    • 2008 Ford Edge Limited FWD

Please vote on your choice, and then post your rational. So far we have test-driven both vehicles, and the Edge is leading in her eyes. I'm trying to wait it out at least until the Memorial Day Sales begin - though I'm sure the 4th of July Sale will probably be better :P The better deal will most likely win, but who knows??? Thanks :thumbsup:

they will get equal gas mileage, so get the one that's the Ford. it will drive nicer, is larger and more functional, looks a lot better, and will end up being more reliable. JMO.

EDGE

EDGE

EDGE

EDGE

EDGE

EDGE

i like the daewoo vue, but the edge is really in another class up.

get the AWD. !

Edited by regfootball

Not my sort of vehicle whatsoever, so I voted based only upon looks.

The Ford won.

The Old Vue looked like a Saturn to me and had a design that was packing a touch of spice.

The new one, on the other hand, is bland enough to wear a Toyota badge.

I really wanted to vote for the Saturn, but I just couldn't do it.

Perhaps the rest of the package would change my mind, but the Edge wins the beauty contest.

I picked the Vue. I think it's pretty and it's GM. But, I do like Fords and my mom is drooling over the Edge. So really i think either would be a good buy. Drive them both a lot!! See if you can keep each one for th eweekend, you'd be surprised, I've done it.

Edge

I've driven one (albeit an AWD model) and the road manners were superb. The Edge will give you more interior room and a lot more cargo room. The Vue is significantly smaller than the Edge, yet they weigh almost exactly the same and get the same EPA mileage. With 2 kids, I'd go with the extra cargo room, thats the type of thing that makes looks a moot point. As far as looks go, I think they both look good, the Edge having the edge (ha ha) when painted orange.

Please vote on your choice, and then post your rational. So far we have test-driven both vehicles, and the Edge is leading in her eyes. I'm trying to wait it out at least until the Memorial Day Sales begin - though I'm sure the 4th of July Sale will probably be better :P The better deal will most likely win, but who knows??? Thanks :thumbsup:

Edge. (Although it's a tough choice.......)

Edge seems slightly larger, and should perform about the same in regards to speed and MPG.........

Edge just seems a class higher than the VUE........whereas VUE to me seems like a CR-V/RAV4 competitor.

Edge

I like the looks a whole lot better (unless we are talking Vue RL and then I would have to compare side by side). The Escape is a better competitor to the Vue in terms of size and I personally like our 2008 Escape. I do wish we would have waited for Sync to be available but I have NO complaints about the vehicle at this time.

Thanks for all of the comments and votes so far. Keep them coming!

I really am at a standstill here... while I would love to do business again with my Saturn dealer and drive away in a VUE (and more importantly, stay within GM), I will admit that I like the style (interior and exterior) of the Edge and the more room it offers over the VUE. The wife is really interested in the Edge because of the following options that the VUE doesn't offer: Vista <panoramic> sunroof with the Ford Accessory DVD players/screens in the headrest, SYNC, and the power liftgate. We're undecided at this moment, and ultimately the one we can afford the best will win out (having the GM Supplier Discount is a plus; we don't get anything for Ford from her job <there is a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep discount program though>).

As for AWD, she really doesn't need it though it would be a nice feature to have (she'd rather put the extra money into the dealer accesory dvd player). We had one big snowstorm this winter and I had the Envoy with me - she drove 32 miles home in the FWD AURA and didn't have one problem at all (thanks to her driving on state & federal highways most of the way). It's something that will consume gas needlessly and is off our "must have" list.

Even though we didn't drive it, and she wasn't too impressed with it at the NYIAS, does anyone think that she should be considering the all-new Dodge Journey??? I'd appreciate input on that choice too.

Edge

I've driven one (albeit an AWD model) and the road manners were superb. The Edge will give you more interior room and a lot more cargo room. The Vue is significantly smaller than the Edge, yet they weigh almost exactly the same and get the same EPA mileage. With 2 kids, I'd go with the extra cargo room, thats the type of thing that makes looks a moot point. As far as looks go, I think they both look good, the Edge having the edge (ha ha) when painted orange.

I am irate that the orange color will not be available on the new FLEX.

Thanks for all of the comments and votes so far. Keep them coming!

I really am at a standstill here... while I would love to do business again with my Saturn dealer and drive away in a VUE (and more importantly, stay within GM), I will admit that I like the style (interior and exterior) of the Edge and the more room it offers over the VUE. The wife is really interested in the Edge because of the following options that the VUE doesn't offer: Vista <panoramic> sunroof with the Ford Accessory DVD players/screens in the headrest, SYNC, and the power liftgate. We're undecided at this moment, and ultimately the one we can afford the best will win out (having the GM Supplier Discount is a plus; we don't get anything for Ford from her job <there is a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep discount program though>).

As for AWD, she really doesn't need it though it would be a nice feature to have (she'd rather put the extra money into the dealer accesory dvd player). We had one big snowstorm this winter and I had the Envoy with me - she drove 32 miles home in the FWD AURA and didn't have one problem at all (thanks to her driving on state & federal highways most of the way). It's something that will consume gas needlessly and is off our "must have" list.

Even though we didn't drive it, and she wasn't too impressed with it at the NYIAS, does anyone think that she should be considering the all-new Dodge Journey??? I'd appreciate input on that choice too.

journey interior is mondo crude, even if functional.

AWD is almost exapcted for resale in a vehicle like this. It's one thing to lease but if you have to sell it in the future, there may be payback to get AWD.

Not my sort of vehicle whatsoever, so I voted based only upon looks.

The Ford won.

The Old Vue looked like a Saturn to me and had a design that was packing a touch of spice.

The new one, on the other hand, is bland enough to wear a Toyota badge.

I really wanted to vote for the Saturn, but I just couldn't do it.

Perhaps the rest of the package would change my mind, but the Edge wins the beauty contest.

What he said.

Although these vehicles are really not my cup of tea.

Chris

The Dodge Journey is a handsome vehicle in and out, imo. I think it has the nicest interior of the new Dodges, love the center console, the shifter placement, the storage cubbies, the slant of the dash, and the retro instrument binnacle. The exterior is sharp, yet conservative. Plus, it hits a sweet spot, size-wise, between the icky, tiny new VUE (with AmphiCar front end) and the big Edge. At least test drive an SXT or R/T with the 3.5L before dismissing it. Love the green color on the Journey. Check Edmunds owner reviews of the Journey. Edited by ocnblu

I have only driven the edge and i really was impressed. It passed nicely and handled the road well. The braking is excellent but touchy. Driver comfort is a lot better than backseat comfort but overall it was a really nice crossover.

Edge... Or Torrent GXP...I wouldn't do a Vue seriously. I just don't like them. My neice has an orange SEL and loves it. I rode in it and liked it alot bigger than my Torrent but not as sporty driving wise. Although if I had to get a Ford aside of the F450 or Mustang it would be this or a Tarurs.

Edited by gm4life

According to Edmunds (I'm lazy) the VUE is significantly smaller in every dimension than the Edge, but weighs a whopping 2lbs (2 pounds, 0.91kg) less than the larger Ford.

That only means the Antara/VUE is more substantial :smilewide:

Or it could be Vued as a pig. The last VUE looked bigger, it also looked lighter and more quick on its feet, if it is possible to "look" that way. What I did not like about the earlier VUE was its Fisher-Price interior, in which every surface creaked when touched (like the door pulls when closing, I'm not talking about perving on the dash, touching stuff that is better left unmolested). It was one big, rolling plastic creak when driven. The new interior is much nicer, but the size v. mileage ratings is abysmal, imo.

Yeah, now I'm leaning more Edge as well. As much as I like the Euro look and finish of the Vue, it's overly small and cramped yet still porky. Very nice, but eh, and not selling well at all...though that's not necessarily a bad thing if you like it.

I'm then also not a huge fan of the Edge's overall looks, but equip it with the right trim and color, and it makes a world of difference. Aside from an interior with still too many hard/cheap surfaces, the design and comfort AND features in there are great. I had never driven one, but tried out an orange SE at a dealer once that was unlocked and the view out, seat comfort, layout of things, etc. really won me over. Also a huge fan of the Ford 3.5L/6-speed combo--very strong and refined, and not at all a gas hog.

The Vue, as many great assets as it has (looks & that German-like quality), it's just too cute ute and small'ish, in different ways for me. Still would consider it, but back to an Edge, the Ford would win my wallet--when the pricing is similar. Well, that, and more dealers, etc.

I'm tellin ya, why waste the money on either small vehicle when the Outlook / Acadia / Enclave get the same gas mileage.

Well for one thing, the Enclave she really wants is priced too far out of our league (CXL = $42k MSRP)... so when you consider that she can get an Edge Limited, which come pretty well loaded, add in the Vista panoramic sunroof, all for right around $32k MSRP, it really makes a world of differance. Trust me, I'd go for the Enclave in heartbeat, but it pushes the financial limits for us. She did drive a base CX FWD with the DVD package ($35k MSRP), but it too was up there in price for us and didn't give her the options she really wants. And personally, while the Limited is very nice, if we go with the Edge I think a middle-of-the-road SEL model is more likely ($28-$29k MSRP) - but you never know when the sales start later in spring. She's not a fan of the Acadia, and as for the OUTLOOK, she'd much rather have the Enclave over it. So, if Lambda was for us, it'd have to be a Buick Enclave. And unless GM stops selling these hot cakes and wants to give them away, we'll be looking elsewhere.

the Limited model has a chrome strip on the door of the Edge that i hate.

SEL vs. Limited with fords means wheels usually are different but cabins are darn close to the same. on my 500 you can't get memory seats/mirrors/pedals on the SEL, so maybe the Edge adds a few goodies like that to make the price difference work. I think Sync is std on the Limited and not on the SEL.

Ford's bundles annoy me but they seem to get away with it.

It it were down to the Edge Limited and VUE XR, I'd get the Edge. If you got the Green Line VUE, however, that would be a different story... at least you'd be getting something (25/32 MPG) in exchange for the smaller interior.

RightFront-720x480.jpg

The Lambdas might be optimized well for EPA tests, but I've seen "observed" figures as low as 14 MPG. It still weighs 500+ lbs more than the Edge.

The Vue. Only because the Edge has a recurring transmission leaking problem. A guy I work with is speaking to a lawyer about a possible lemon law suit because of it. I don't think there is a recall but I think there is a TSB

One small issue, and not something I've ever at least heard reading some owner's boards...so take it with a grain of salt.

The Vue probably, and likely, has a bug or two as well, like most new things.

The Vue. Only because the Edge has a recurring transmission leaking problem. A guy I work with is speaking to a lawyer about a possible lemon law suit because of it. I don't think there is a recall but I think there is a TSB

Haven't heard that one yet....

Issues with the power locks-no big deal.

Only trans issue I've heard with the Edge so far was the guy who ran a tire...

Knock on wood, their shop has seen few Edges or new Focui in the shop.....