Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spyshots: 2010 Next-Gen Chevy Cobalt

Big-ass taillights, and the headlights appear similar to the current Focus, with a useless "tail" spritzed up into the fender. I want to see the interior, the coupe, and the Pontiac version. To heck with the blobby Opel/Saturn hatches we've seen.

Big-ass taillights, and the headlights appear similar to the current Focus, with a useless "tail" spritzed up into the fender. I want to see the interior, the coupe, and the Pontiac version. To heck with the blobby Opel/Saturn hatches we've seen.

Actually those headlights remind me of the Accord coupe's.

I don't like the Sebring-esque fake windowline on the C-pillar, but other than that I hope this is a homerun.

I agree. I hate the practice of slapping black plastic slabs of all shapes and sizes on C-pillars to alter the appearance of the roofline (Guilty parties include the Lincoln MKZ, Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler Sebring, 2009 Mazda6). All automakers need to abolish this ridiculous and cheap looking practice immediately.

Other than that, this looks to be a new and interesting design direction for the Cobalt. The current car is definitely not offensive, but it looked more like a Cavalier update instead of an all new car. A completely new styling direction is definitely overdue. I hope GM nails the details and presents the public with a truly competitive compact sedan and coupe. I would love to see Chevrolet kick some but in this segment.

It seems very low to the ground, I wonder if this is the SS. I also think that the Sebring-esque C pillar could be camo, it looks tacked on, and the C-pillar is always something they try to disguise. I'm pretty sure those taillights are camo, too, especially the silver/gray part on the bottom of them.

The overall feel I get is a mix of Malibu, Mazda3, and S40. Perhaps a tad bit of Traverse in the front, also (headlights, mainly, but they could be camoed up good too. Overall it looks pretty substantial and much, much better than the current 'balt.

Read this past month's C&D article about "The guy who hides cars" - it will give you some insight in to all the things they can do to camo them.

I'll reserve final judgment for a real photo.

One thing is for certain, that pizza-slice shaped black out

panel on the C-pillar looks both cheap and ugly.

the rear lights remind me of the camry. ugh.

looks like it will be nice, but maybe too derivative from the 'bu.

hopefully the parts unseen will actually be very good, if not class leading for the market right now. slightly possible things could change before it comes out.

Proportions look really good, as does most of the body work. The tail lights are a bit odd though. I wanna see the interior.

Word for word what I was thinking.

It's a shame this isn't coming out sooner. With gas prices as they are, I'm really considering a smaller car.

Proportions look really good, as does most of the body work. The tail lights are a bit odd though. I wanna see the interior.

Agreed, great proportions. Taillights are tough to tell, not as bad as the Malibu though. Absolutely have to see the interior, if it's in the range of the bu, this will do well.

One other thing I don't like is the grille and how it juts up into the hood.

Good point was made earlier about this being a global. It might take GM a while to get all the styling points down on a chassis that is truly global, but the cost savings will be worth it. Hopefully this comes out well though.

Taillights remind of recent VW designs...the rear door lower shape reminds me of the G8 and other recent GM designs...interesting. The greenhouse arc reminds me of the Ion.

Edited by moltar

Nice proportions. Looks to have improved surface proportions and a good ol' prominent Chevy grill.

We'll all agree on the plastic c-pillar doodad...I just hate these, they really cheapen the design. In some cases, it's really needed, but in the car, I still think the greenhouse would have the "flow" designer wanted without the plastic add-on.

The headlights are kind of thoughtless, though, kinda like..."we're out of ideas, let's see if this fits, it's different...right?"

The taillights are different and creative.

The overall design itself, though, while well-proportioned, is rather derivative. It's not really exciting or forward-thinking. I'm liking the creativity that Honda put into its Civic line - the fast windshields, horizontal headlights were against the norm and it works. I'm not saying Chevy or GM should do the same, but now that they've got the execution-part down, they should try and stretch their designs out for a little more groundbreaking creativity.

I dunno Northie, that fake C-pillar trim has been on all the recent spyshots that I've seen. Is that C&D article online?

I doubt it is online, but I can scan it to you if you want to read it.

So perhaps it isn't part of the camo. Damn.

Not bad.

But it needs larger wheels and desperately need some character below the beltline. It would really look good with a long , triangular fairing from the front of the rear wheel tapering forward towards the front a la Camaro. That would give the car some real styling substance IMO.

Oh man, I hope ours looks like that!

isn't this car supposed to be a world car, if it is then I guess we would get the same interior, that besides the cheap looking shift knob it looks pretty upscale

i havent heard anything about a coupe, will it be around? thats what interests me

there should be a coupe version since this car I'll probably be the G5 too, which is only offered in coupe form

I have mixed feelings.

Pluses:

One of the best proportioned FWD cars, ever.

Love the ground-hugging stance, even on what is most certainly a non-SS (judging by what look to be 16" wheels)

The front is definitely more dynamic than the current car.

The interior - :drool:

Minuses:

The side sculpting and greenhouse is so generic it could be from any Asian or European car

I would have liked to see the round taillights adorn the rear of the sedan, but I guess sacrifices have to be made when you're trying to sell the same car everywhere.

Overall I'm getting the impression that this is going to be a great compact car for GM that could very well find its way into the top two or three compacts on the market. Unfortunately, it seems like the "personality" that I see in the current Cobalt has been engineered out in an attempt to make it universally acceptable across the globe. I would really like to see the coupe version, as I'd expect it to continue the tradition of being the more attractive of the two. Hopefully they've got a 5dr (HHR replacement) and maybe even a 3dr planned as well.

the problem I see is the side profile is very boring and unoriginal. it's basically the equal of Volvo S40 and it's already tired on that car, and has been refreshed for this year, i think kind of dramatically. that's just one design element of the car, but the greatness of Malibu comes in how much of a complete design it is, how good it looks from all angles. i'm talking about the shot of the uncamoed car...it may be different colors make it more interesting, or something else happens. but just gut reaction from that shot is it may already be tired.

Nice looking car. I actually don't mind the fake window completing the Audi like roof like. I do find the grille to the be disproportionately large and gapping though and large ostentatious grilles have never been my favorite. In fact, I find the new post Walter De Silva Audis and the big mouth Chrysler 300s to be the cars with the ugliest front treatments. My favorite car designs did not have a grille at all. The Corvette, the NSX, 1993 Civic and the Mazda Lantis for instance...

I just hope that the power train gets a much needed refresh. Best case, I'll like to see a an LNF derived 2.0 liter HCCI engine mated with a 6A with the mild hybrid BAS and 36V being standard. Just give the driver a switch to turn economy mode on or off, so those who don't want the engine to automatically shut off at the light don't have to live with it.

Worst case, still want to see the 6A mated to the 1.8 liter 2HO engine from the Astra. If it comes out with the 2.2 Ecotec and a 4A I'll be really disappointed. The Cobalt doesn't have to be cheap -- $17~23K is a good price range -- think last generation Jetta. El Cheapo Econobox shoppers can always be sold an Aveo. But it better be good. Good enough to put the General back on the map as a purveyor of vehicles that lead the pack in technological and qualitative appeal, not also rans which sell for a grand or two less than the competition while being built in a high cost country and bleeding red ink. As good or almost as good is not enough, this car better be distinctively better than the Civic and the Corolla. It is going to take at least one vehicular generation to change the mids of the buying public. With each generation being about 5 years, the General is fast running out of time. Regaining the qualitative and technological initiative cannot wait will the 2016 model year.

Edited by dwightlooi

• 3 weeks later...

It's official, the new compact will be called "Cruze", a name recently used an a subcompact crossover designed by Holden and built by Suzuki. The Chevrolet model will debut in Paris in early October, shortly after the near-identical Daewoo Lacetti is unveiled in Korea. European sales will begin in spring 2009, followed by other markets as production expands.