FUTURE_OF_GM

Interesting...

98 posts in this topic

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675020

Interesting tidbits:

From a poster that also participates here:

-First Alpha products by MY 2013-14.

-Coupe, sedan, convertible, wagon variants being considered,

-The business plan requires Chevy to be part of the program. Draw your own conclusions.

- A LWB version may replace the CTS later next decade, after CTS gets one more freshening after this one.

-Hope you like the Converj's styling.

From another poster that also participates here:

Perhaps we might want to send some thank-you notes to Opel. The company that may wind up with a divorce from GM and a chassis they are in charge of called Espilon?

If Opel and GM-NA separate, they'll still have joint custody of Espilon and Delta, but with General Motors global operations drifting into more of a federation of independent companies, and the fact that CAFE still stands (don't foreget to send them guys thank-you cards too), might just be what it took to make a case for a chassis that most of this year, many in GM were trying to kill in favor of Espilon.

As a Euro Cadillac, the case for Alpha was extremely weak.

With Chevrolet, it's very strong.

Think Pontiac G6.... which at one time, the plan was to use it as the basis of G6's replacement.

While Zeta is made to handle the most powerful engines GM makes, the Alpha is planned to make use of 4s and V6s. The 3.6 DI (which will eventually reach 350 horsepower) will likely be the biggest engine it will be designed for. The plus side is that because it's designed for less potent engines, everything else can be made lighter.

In the end, we should have V6 engines performing like they had LS3s while getting about 30 mpg.

Same source as the first bit:

I've been told "3 series sized". But apparently a stretched version is being considered.

Alpha is RWD right?

Yes, sir.

They need Chevy for volume (development and production cost dilution). No Pontiac mentioned, as expected. I am seeing Pontiac fading away around the time the Alpha Chevy comes online...

It never was off, and 2014 was the expected date ... As I said before, Cadillac, Buick and Chevy ...

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

So...why would you have a Luxury Cadillac and a Luxury Buick on the same platform? Nothing like overlap.

So...why would you have a Luxury Cadillac and a Luxury Buick on the same platform? Nothing like overlap.

Because they are core brands, which is why Pontiac is not getting one, because it is not a core brand.

Well, if it's due for production in 2014, we should have seen the concept at this year's NAIAS. :5thgen:

I doubt you will see this at NAIAS until maybe 2012 ...

Because they are core brands, which is why Pontiac is not getting one, because it is not a core brand.

That's all well and good, but once again GM and building 2 cars that will compete with each other more than the competition. a Chevy and Cadillac is fine, but since Buick is premium, the pricing would get close to the Cadillac I would suspect.

Of course they could make them look nothing a like, but GM's track record for differentiation has been hit or miss (with a lot more misses).

I mean whatever, it's good to see a RWD getting some actual use (until they cancel 2 of the 3 models 4 months before production starts), I just wonder about that whole brand overlap/competition that has plagued GM for decades.

I doubt you will see this at NAIAS until maybe 2012 ...

Waaaaay too early. If it goes on sale in April 2014 it should be at the January 2014 NAIAS.

"Here's the hot new Cadillac ATS....", "oooh ahhh", "And it'll be available in showrooms in just 3 months."

Waaaaay too early. If it goes on sale in April 2014 it should be at the January 2014 NAIAS.

"Here's the hot new Cadillac ATS....", "oooh ahhh", "And it'll be available in showrooms in just 3 months."

You most likely will see the Buick in 2012, Cadillac 2013, The Chevy in 2014 ... It will be dragged out like the Solstice and 5th gen Camaro were ...

Hopefully things will change and Pontiac will get something from this platform (A Solstice replacement would be natural and could be shared with Opel as a global car)

I don't really care if they are one of the main models since they are a niche brand now. But it'd be stupid to exclude them from the project (B/P/GMC) should be the core brand, not Buick itself.

I still don't get why Pontiac isn't a core division, but whatever, I guess. :rolleyes: I don't see why they would've kept the division around if they were just going to close it. They could've just as easily said that they were closing Pontiac along with Hummer and Saab. And don't get me started about the "sales would fall" thing. With the way the media is reporting the (premature) death of Pontiac AND GM as a whole, sales can't fall much more.

My point is; unless GM had some sort of use for Pontiac, it would've been extremely easy, in this difficult situation, to just kill the division off. So something must be there. Sure, the dealers would bitch, but GM is in too desperate of shape right now to care much about the dealers. They're certainly desperate enough to stir the pot and shake things up, if need be.

EXACTLY! DEAD ON! YOU READING THIS GM??? Mazda and Hyundai both had copies of the Enclave on the streets before you did! Show it at the auto show and tell everyone that is excited about it to go BUY ONE TOMORROW AT YOUR LOCAL GM DEALER. You keep tipping your hat and everyone gets tired of waiting and buys elsewhere and your competition moves quicker to market with your ideas! (See SSR, CTS-V Coupe -I know this is a weak example as it is coming pretty damned quick comparatively, Camaro, Enclave...pretty much every launch since what - 1977?)

Again: Show the Car/truck/crossover at the autoshow that corresponds with the release of that automobile. Just like it was back in the good old days of GM when it was on the Ed Sullivan show last night and suddenly in the showroom TODAY!!!! Let's get the EXCITEMENT back into GM and the buying public back into the showrooms.

:scratchchin: Interesting, Will take a Wait and See attitude! :deathwatch:

Hopefully things will change and Pontiac will get something from this platform (A Solstice replacement would be natural and could be shared with Opel as a global car)

I don't really care if they are one of the main models since they are a niche brand now. But it'd be stupid to exclude them from the project (B/P/GMC) should be the core brand, not Buick itself.

I still don't get why Pontiac isn't a core division, but whatever, I guess. :rolleyes: I don't see why they would've kept the division around if they were just going to close it. They could've just as easily said that they were closing Pontiac along with Hummer and Saab. And don't get me started about the "sales would fall" thing. With the way the media is reporting the (premature) death of Pontiac AND GM as a whole, sales can't fall much more.

My point is; unless GM had some sort of use for Pontiac, it would've been extremely easy, in this difficult situation, to just kill the division off. So something must be there. Sure, the dealers would bitch, but GM is in too desperate of shape right now to care much about the dealers. They're certainly desperate enough to stir the pot and shake things up, if need be.

Maybe GM's executives are old and senile. It would explain why they would keep Buick over Pontiac. A small RWD buick, it will flop, and I hope it does. When will Buick be killed, when it's sales no longer reach 100k? That day is coming.

why we can't simply have a grand am and grand prix and a solstice for pontiac? the grand am and solstice sould be on alpha. grand prix could just be on zeta. they will continue to make zeta for a long time i think.

g6 sedan and coupe. g8 sedan and wagon. solstice targa and regular.

then put camaro on alpha.

Edited by regfootball

The Hyundia Genesis is the future of the coupe sporty market.

I would expect a Impala and Camaro replacment with this platform if this does not change 15 time as it will by 2014.

DI and Turbo's for everyone!

I like the part about lighter cars. There is so much more to gain in perfromance with less weight.

Unless the Buick and Cadillac are a lot different, I see no reason for both of them. They should give Chevy the Camaro, Pontiac a $17-30k sedan/coupe/convert (or some combination), and Cadillac $30k+ models. I would assume that the Buick will be $27-37k (same as TSX for the most part), which means a lot of them are just going to be competing against the Cadillac, and you know they're going to make the Cadillac better than the Buick (see the canceled Saab SRX). The Pontiac can be made "worse" than the Cadillac, especially at $17k starting price, and there'd be no overlap.

GM is doomed, either way.

You most likely will see the Buick in 2012, Cadillac 2013, The Chevy in 2014 ... It will be dragged out like the Solstice and 5th gen Camaro were ...

Funny. I heard that, but no mention of the Chevy.

Are you are sure there is going to be a chevy?

As ever, this platform is essential for Pontiac, and Pontiac is essential for Alpha. Buick does not fit. AT ALL.

Funny. I heard that, but no mention of the Chevy.

Are you are sure there is going to be a chevy?

Oh yes I'm sure, Alpha needs Chevy for the volume aspect of the brand ...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead