Could this mean something as well?

[unrealistic rant]

Just ditch the Ion and bring over the current Astra now for a two year cycle.

Oh and GM, I WANT the 3 door!

[/unrealistic rant]

I'm sure the next gen would be worlds ahead the Ion but I'm a bit worried that the next gen might not have that menacing "look" I find so appealing about the current one.

But anyway, I definatley perfer the Astra name much more than than Ion and definately hope it does make it's way over here.

as long as it doent turn into ford....with all the f names...

I'm hoping that Saturn has decided to name their cars after things associated with the "sky and heavens" so to speak.

The Sky, Aura (as in a 'glow' around a star or planet) The "Saturn" name itself, the Astra (obviously being a derivative of Astro having to do with stars) would fit in. Now to just find a new name for the Vue and Relay. I dont' know where Outlook fits in there, but it's not a terrible name so I'm not too worried.

If GM were serious about Saturn - they would ditch the Ion and bring out the Astra this fall. While their at it, ditch the Relay as well.

Just imagine if Saturn had a completely new lineup all at once. The Astra could then be replaced in 2 to 3 years when Europe's gets updated. Just imagine:

Sky

Astra

Aura

Outlook

Oh - to be a Saturn dealership. They wouldn't need incentives. In fact, they would have a difficult time keeping inventory in stock.

How do the Astra dimensions compare with the Ion?  Weight?  How simmilar are their ecotecs and ours?  Would we see european engines, or would they drop the more familiar ecotecs in?

From what I heard the Astra shares nothing with the Ion. Different platform, even the Ecotec families are different.

From what I heard the Astra shares nothing with the Ion. Different platform, even the Ecotec families are different.

I wasn't really expecting anything shared, except maybe some engine stuff (since the ecotec over here comes from Saab), I was more wondering just a number comparison. Is it about the same size as the Ion, a little bigger, a lot bigger? How's the weight? There are a number of S-Series fans who complain about the Ion gaining like 400lbs and losing 5 mpg over the S. Would be interesting to know 'bout.

The only thing the Astra's lineup is missing is a sedan.

The 5-door is close enough, IMO. More notable, IMO, is the missing quadcoupe. A lot of people may not be fans of the Ion, but the quadcoupe design in general rocks. Would love to see that 3 door turn into a quadcoupe hatch. 8)

My heart is aflutter. We'll have all of the goodness of the european models, with the added benefit of them built in the good old USA (i'm pretty sure). I believe the europeans have gen II ecotecs while we're still on gen I, but i can't say for certain. I can't believe that with all of this amazingly hot product coming from saturn currently and in the near future, they could be one of the hottest brands going. It's amazing what quality and great design can do to a brand in the course of a few years.

The headline on the front page is incorrect. They registered a trademark, not a patent. They are two very different things that are govered by separate laws.

It's also not exclusive to C&G. AH-HA posted on his site on 1/18 that they had registered the name and I verified it at that time by searching on the uspto.gov site.

"In addition to several sources, GM also recently trademarked the Astra name under Saturn Corporation in the U.S. and Canada this past week."

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 06:33PM by Registered Commenter AH-HA

Well a Five door would be my next car if they can get it here by next January! Even let us order it by next Jan and I will get one. If not VW will be on my radar also.

Oh and yes a Quad Coupe version would be even better. That is a hot design and what makes me like the Ion so much.

If GM were serious about Saturn - they would ditch the Ion and bring out the Astra this fall.  While their at it, ditch the Relay as well.

Just imagine if Saturn had a completely new lineup all at once.  The Astra could then be replaced in 2 to 3 years when Europe's gets updated.  Just imagine:

Sky

Astra

Aura

Outlook

Oh - to be a Saturn dealership.  They wouldn't need incentives.  In fact, they would have a difficult time keeping inventory in stock.

Don't forget about the next Vue... strongly rumored to be a rebadge of the very hot Opel Antara.

Posted Image

Now if Saturn only had the dealers to get the product out....then GM would see things turn around. Saturn is getting all this new amazing product but doesn't have the dealers to make these products high volume. GM needs good high volume cars. The Saturn designs seem to be there, but the capacity is not.

Now if Saturn only had the dealers to get the product out....then GM would see things turn around.  Saturn is getting all this new amazing product but doesn't have the dealers to make these products high volume.  GM needs good high volume cars.  The Saturn designs seem to be there, but the capacity is not.

That's a good point, but remember that compared to Chevy or Ford, Toyota and Honda don't have many dealerships either.

I think more dealers will try to get a Saturn dealership when they see the great new products, and I also feel that because Saturn dealerships are located in relatively highly populated areas (unlike lots of Chevy dealers who might be in a town of 10000 people) that probably 90% of buyers still have a Saturn dealership relatively nearby.

Now if Saturn only had the dealers to get the product out....then GM would see things turn around.  Saturn is getting all this new amazing product but doesn't have the dealers to make these products high volume.  GM needs good high volume cars.  The Saturn designs seem to be there, but the capacity is not.

they had enough volume to sell over 200k S-series/year back in the '90's. I think in this respect they are okay, but will probably add some more dealers. I can't think of the Saturn dealer in the Metro Los Angeles area, whereas there are THREE Mercedes dealers within 15-20 minutes in each direction from me.

The Astra uses the older-generation iron-block family II engines, while Saab now uses the new L850 aluminum block. The other Ecotec engines are the smaller Family 0 and Family I blocks. The Latin American version of the new Astra is a sedan, sold as the Chevrolet Vectra. That is available with an aluminum Family II, a development of the older 2.4 L iron-block truck engine with a 16V head and flex-fuel capability. Although larger than the new North American 2.4 L VVT engine it produces less power.

The Astra is hot right now here in Europe - sportier than a Golf and better value

Especially considering that there is really nothing new in it - it's an updated platform from the previous gen and as Griffon says doesn't have the new generation all alloy ecotec.

Shows what GM can do when they execute a product well and price it right.

That's the rear end they should put in an Astra sedan. Actually, the 4-door's volume in the US might mean you guys could get the 3-door and 5-door buit in Europe, and we Europeans would get the 4-door that is missing. But this is just my wishful thinking...

That Evoke name was nice, but hey, Astra's not bad either and there's a lot of support for it. Personally I think the interior is cheap-looking, but then again, I've never seen it in person, so maybe it looks a little different.

That Evoke name was nice, but hey, Astra's not bad either and there's a lot of support for it. Personally I think the interior is cheap-looking, but then again, I've never seen it in person, so maybe it looks a little different.

When I was in the last Astra the interior was quite a bit nicer than any of the small GM cars here in the US. I would hope and expect that this one has continued to raise the bar. I wonder what models we would get and if they will just take the 2.0 Turbo and give us a redline model right from the beginning. Or is we would get the twintop here it would keep GM at the lead of affordable hardtop convertibles like the new VE EOS and Volvo C70. Here is a link with vidoes of all three:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/03/video-o...dtop-in-action/

Edited by jrockb4

Considering the U.A.W. does'nt want Vehicles from mexico Imported anymore. I think they would object to Importing the Astra.

One of the things they will expect in return for concessions is fewer Imports. Besides once the Tariffs arrive imports will be super expensive.

And the Tariffs are coming.

Article Link

GM Opel says no plans for now to cut Astra output

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp.'s Opel unit denied on Tuesday that it was considering cutting back output of its Astra model in Europe, although it would not rule out such a step if demand faltered.

GM makes the Astra compact in Bochum, Germany, Ellesmere Port in Britain, and Antwerp, Belgium, and all capacity utilisation at all these plants is "satisfactory," it said in response to a newspaper report it was considering reducing Astra output.

"The company reserves the right, however, to align production capacity with customer demand as the model's life cycle advances," a statement added.

Opel works council chief Klaus Franz said that if GM decides at some stage to reduce Astra output, it should do so by adjusting working hours at all three plants.

"I do not see the need to cut jobs here," he added.

GM Europe is in the process of eliminating nearly a fifth of its workforce to help shore up results in a region where it last made a profit in 1999.

Considering the U.A.W. does'nt want Vehicles from mexico Imported anymore. I think they would object to  Importing the Astra.

One of the things they will expect in return for concessions is fewer Imports.  Besides once the Tariffs arrive imports will be super expensive.

I'm sick of this type of talk. NZ has basically cut all tarrifs (including clothing, automotive, electronics etc). Now you are suggesting introducing more tarrifs back into the US at the same time US Corporations are spreading themselves around the world and wiping out local manufacturing with cheap items produced in China! What a fn joke!

the relay wont die.. even when the new one arrives in 2008 Saturn will get a new one.. the new vans will only be sold as a Chevrolet and a Saturn..  Will this new Saturn "astra" be assembled here or in europe??

No, the Vans are really dead...replaced by "wagons", if you will.

Chances are good that the Astra would be built at Lordstown.....

Sue me for :deadhorse: if you have to but this thing should be a hardtop! Seriously look at the profile, it would be very sexy wiht all four windows down and a non-existant B-pillar.

Posted Image

:withstupid: Agreed.  Plus a remark like "the tariffs are coming" is obviously completely groundless.

Like I said before it's going to get People Elected.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...t8&refer=europe

People are paying attention. Out sourcing is going to Explode. If someone in Michigan says Vote for me I'll protect U.S. jobs. Think they'll get Votes? It's going to explode and no Whining from the W.T.O. is going to stop it.

Considering the U.A.W. does'nt want Vehicles from mexico Imported anymore. I think they would object to  Importing the Astra.

One of the things they will expect in return for concessions is fewer Imports.  Besides once the Tariffs arrive imports will be super expensive.

If GM is trying to make global platforms buildable anywhere in the world (which is such an obviously good idea I'm suprised to even hear that it wasnt' a given) then they might build the Astra here, somewhere. Another thing that surprises me is the money GM has spent to rework the old Vectra, which was a pretty good looking car in Europe into the dopey L-series. I've also wondered why it takes them so long to leverage new cars of a developed platform. When did the newest 9-3 start up on the Epsilon platform was it in '03? Why did it take until 05 to launch the G6.

In other parts of the world they sell Astras as Opels, Vauxhalls, Holdens and maybe even Chevys with few changes other than flexible right or left hand drive. If Saturn is supposed to be the import fight just bring the current Astra over here now. And while the Aura looks very sharp, the Euro Vectra could have made the trip over two years ago filling in the hole left by the unlamented, from plain to uglier L-series.