Honda News: 2018 Honda Accord Drops the Six

If you want a six-cylinder engine in your midsize sedan, the selection of models has been steadily declining. At the moment, you can only get a six from Ford, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Come the 2018 model year, there will be one less automaker.

Honda announced today that next-generation Accord, due later this year, will feature two turbocharged four-cylinders. The base will be a 1.5L four-cylinder (most likely from the Civic with 174 horsepower and 169 pound-feet of torque) and a 2.0L four-cylinder with i-VTEC valvetrain - derived from the Civic Type R. Offical power figures are not out, but Honda says both engines will have the option of a six-speed manual. The 1.5L will also feature a CVT, while the 2.0L will get an all-new 10-speed automatic.

"With these three advanced new powertrains, the tenth-generation Accord will be the most fun-to-drive, refined and fuel-efficient Accord yet. Just as the new Honda Civic injected new energy into the compact car segment, we expect this all-new 2018 Accord will make people rethink the midsize sedan," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of America Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The Accord Hybrid will also be returning for the next-generation model. Not many details are known, but Honda says it will feature a new two-motor hybrid system that is more refined.

Source: Honda
Press Release is on Page 2

All-New 10th Generation Honda Accord Launching This Year with Advanced New Powertrain Lineup

Jun 9, 2017 - TORRANCE, CA

• Two high-performance, high-efficiency turbocharged engines
  • First-ever 10-speed automatic transmission for a front-wheel drive car
  • Available 6-speed manual transmission for both turbo engines
  • Next-generation Honda two-motor hybrid powertrain technology
  • New, more aggressive design direction complements powertrain lineup

Honda will launch the most stylish and fun-to-drive Accord ever later this year. The all-new, completely redesigned and reengineered 2018 Honda Accord is the tenth generation of America's best-selling midsize sedan, the number one choice of individual American car buyers cumulatively since 20101. A new-from-the-ground-up design that features a more aggressive stance and proportion than any previous Accord complements the lineup of advanced new powertrains.

The three powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains in the 2018 Accord will include two direct-injected and turbocharged 4-cylinder engines, a new Honda-developed 10-speed automatic transmission and a sporty 6-speed manual transmission that will be available on both turbo engines, as well as the next-generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid powertrain technology. The new Accord design will have a dramatically lower and wider appearance that creates a more aggressive and athletic stance. Additional details on the all-new 2018 Accord design, technology and performance will be released in the weeks ahead.

"With these three advanced new powertrains, the tenth-generation Accord will be the most fun-to-drive, refined and fuel-efficient Accord yet,"said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of America Honda Motor Co., Inc. "Just as the new Honda Civic injected new energy into the compact car segment, we expect this all-new 2018 Accord will make people rethink the midsize sedan."

The 2018 Accord will feature two available high-torque, high-efficiency turbocharged powerplants, a 1.5-liter direct-injected DOHC Turbo with dual variable cam timing (dual VTC), mated to either a Honda continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) or 6-speed manual transmission; and a 2.0-liter direct-injected DOHC Turbo with i-VTEC® valvetrain, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission – the industry's first 10AT for a front-wheel-drive passenger car – or a 6-speed manual. An all-new, even more refined Accord Hybrid will be powered by the next-generation of Honda's innovative two-motor hybrid technology, which uniquely operates without the use of a conventional automatic transmission.

A perennial best-seller with American car buyers, the Accord has been the U.S. retail sales leader in the midsize sedan segment for four straight years (2013-2016). For the first five months of 2017, based on retail sales data, Accord is the top selling midsize sedan in America and the second best-selling passenger car overall, surpassed only by the new Honda Civic2. Accord also is an unprecedented 31-time recipient of Car and Driver magazine's coveted 10Best award.

Since its launch in 1976, American car buyers have purchased more than 13 million Accords. Accord is the first vehicle from a Japanese automaker to be made in America and has been in continuous production at Honda's Marysville, Ohio auto plant since November 1982, with cumulative U.S. production exceeding 11 million units over 35 years of U.S. manufacturing3. 

The new 2018 Accord's 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter turbo engines will be produced at Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant. The Accord's CVT transmission will be manufactured at the company's Russells Point, Ohio plant, and its new 10-speed automatic transmission will be produced in the company's Tallapoosa, Georgia plant. Honda recently announced a $149 million investment in the Russells Point and Tallapoosa plants to facilitate production of the new 10AT and its components in America. Additional investments related to manufacturing of the new Accord will be announced closer to its fall 2017 launch.

View full article

28 minutes ago, William Maley said:

If you want a six-cylinder engine in your midsize sedan, the selection of models has been steadily declining. At the moment, you can only get a six from Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Come the 2018 model year, there will be one less automaker.

You forgot Ford...

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-review-photo-Slas

(Check out the license plate!) :thumbsup:

I feel sad though, as I love a 6 cylinder power plant.  I must agree with Casa though. Turbo 4s are quite good in replacing 6 cylinder cars in MOST applications.  Not all applications though.

Just like TTV6s cant replace all V8s either!

Edited by oldshurst442

If it werent for the electric motor and rechargeable battery revolution up ahead...I would wonder how long before we would reach a peak with downsized 4 cylinder turbos replacing V6s before engine displacements would ultimately get bigger again with V6s making a comeback in mid-sized sedans like how this trend was in the 1980s and how things changed in the 1990s?

As we all know...horsepower and torque DOES sell cars!!!

(There was a hippie movement in the 1970s well into the 1980s to kill horsepower and speed...and yet in 2017...THESE ARE REALLY the GOOD 'OLE TIMES for HORSEPOWER, SPEED and PERFORMANCE!!!)

The last time took a decade give or take...

Like I said, EVs are part of this equation now, but instantaneous torque is what these motors are known for, and V8s have gobs of that...so...if the electric car wont be the dominant force like Silicon Valley suggest...I STILL wonder how long this trend of downsizing will continue?

Yes, I Know...EPA numbers have to be in check...

Torque in EVs still rule and V8s rule....and TTV6s also have gobs of torque...

My question still stands....how long before we see a reversal of higher displacement engine offerings again?

Edited by oldshurst442

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

My question still stands....how long before we see a reversal of higher displacement engine offerings again?

Hopefully soon....

"...we expect this all-new 2018 Accord will make people rethink the midsize sedan," said Jeff Conrad.

I hate marketing fluff. In what way does this rethink any aspect of the midsize sedan?

CVT? No.
1.5T? No.
Drop the V6? No.
10 speed auto? You're really splitting hairs to say yes compared to 8-9 speeds.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

"...we expect this all-new 2018 Accord will make people rethink the midsize sedan," said Jeff Conrad.

I hate marketing fluff. In what way does this rethink any aspect of the midsize sedan?

CVT? No.
1.5T? No.
Drop the V6? No.
10 speed auto? You're really splitting hairs to say yes compared to 8-9 speeds.

Totally agree that the marketing fluff sucks big time and other than smaller engines, nothing really revolutionary. As you stated, so many NO NO and NO about this car! This is reverse evolutionary tactics.

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree that the marketing fluff sucks big time and other than smaller engines, nothing really revolutionary. As you stated, so many NO NO and NO about this car! This is reverse evolutionary tactics.

Well, to be honest, Honda just replicated what GM and Ford gone done with the Malibu and Fusion with the 1.5 liter 4 cylinder turbos and the dropping of the V6...although Ford gone offerin' a V6 again...

But yeah, marketing fluff is right, but following market trends is what Honda is doing.

Maybe the V6 take rate started waning?

Maybe Honda Motor Company wants to distance the Honda Accord with the Acura TLX even further by eliminating the V6 offering in the Accord so the TLΧ could reign supreme in Honda Motor Company's midsized car offerings?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You forgot Ford...

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-review-photo-Slas

(Check out the license plate!) :thumbsup:

I feel sad though, as I love a 6 cylinder power plant.  I must agree with Casa though. Turbo 4s are quite good in replacing 6 cylinder cars in MOST applications.  Not all applications though.

Just like TTV6s cant replace all V8s either!

Damn, you're right. Completely forgot about the Fusion Sport.

• Agree 2

By 2020 I'd expect V6s to only be in luxury/sports cars, full size crossover/SUV and full size trucks.  Everyone will continue engine down sizing. And even then, full size trucks and crossovers will start going to 4-cylinder engines.

2 hours ago, William Maley said:

Damn, you're right. Completely forgot about the Fusion Sport.

I haven't...been looking for them late model used on car gurus.

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well, to be honest, Honda just replicated what GM and Ford gone done with the Malibu and Fusion with the 1.5 liter 4 cylinder turbos and the dropping of the V6...although Ford gone offerin' a V6 again...

But yeah, marketing fluff is right, but following market trends is what Honda is doing.

Maybe the V6 take rate started waning?

Maybe Honda Motor Company wants to distance the Honda Accord with the Acura TLX even further by eliminating the V6 offering in the Accord so the TLΧ could reign supreme in Honda Motor Company's midsized car offerings?

Probably...I think they want to simplify the assembly process.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

This and the Conti would be better if they were not overly soft and feminine in the design language.  When the Miata/MINI Cooper owner says your design is too feminine....

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

As I said in the Cadillac XT5 thread.. I see zero reason for a V6 in some cars when turbo 4s are kicking out as much power while avoiding any additional taxation of displacement. Hell V8s that I love have 8 to 4 cylinder displacement.. and in actuality the fuel economy of the V6s. 

fe.jpg

the v6 camaro is the best blend of power and gas mileage.  even though the 4 puts up decent tested times, from what i've read, the 6 is a legit option to the v8, and the four just doesn't wow like the 6 does.

after nearly a year in my malibu 1.5, its a nice motor for what it is, but there is something in the extra smoothness of a v6 STILL that i would love to have in my next rig, and i would want it to be a twin turbo six if possible, something between 2.5 litres and 3.0 would be awesome.  In the cars I have driven with any of GM's 2.0 turbo so far I haven't been blown away with smoothness or revability, even if they have been decent.

As for the Accord, i understand losing the six because their clientele really is not into performance.  But there was a few hard core Honda fans, especially coupes, that they liked the v6.  

I see Nissan

7 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If it werent for the electric motor and rechargeable battery revolution up ahead...I would wonder how long before we would reach a peak with downsized 4 cylinder turbos replacing V6s before engine displacements would ultimately get bigger again with V6s making a comeback in mid-sized sedans like how this trend was in the 1980s and how things changed in the 1990s?

As we all know...horsepower and torque DOES sell cars!!!

(There was a hippie movement in the 1970s well into the 1980s to kill horsepower and speed...and yet in 2017...THESE ARE REALLY the GOOD 'OLE TIMES for HORSEPOWER, SPEED and PERFORMANCE!!!)

About the 1970s and 80s: hippies were not required to shrink cars and car engines.  The original Oil Shock of 1973 and Oil Shock II of 1979 did most of the work.  Emissions regulations and CAFE requirements starting in 1975 did the rest.  This time you can blame worldwide homologation of engines and cars combined with displacement taxes in China and Europe that are creating the push for turbo 4cyl engines to essentially replace the venerable v6.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

1) Hate to see the V6 go. Honda had one of the best ones.

2) Good to see they are going to still offer a manual.

3) Even better to see the CVT is not spreading.

4) The 10AT is overkill, though.

5) I wonder what this means for Acura? 

#4, according tho the ratios on honda's website, the ratio spread is 6.04.  i'd guess they're aiming at more than 7:1... like GM and ford.. and others...will help MPG and smoothness that a 4cyl may lack compared to the v-6. just sayin.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not entirely.

Kinda yes, kinda no...

For what you pay for a decent midsize, you can get a nice compact SUV, which plenty of folks are doing. Heck, if not for my job loss, there would have been a good chance there would have been  a Nox in my drive this year (though maybe a Terain next year) You can do more with them too (like in our case, scouting) Midsize cars are more for the commute and simple family stuff...heck, 

That, and many midsize cars are creeping toward large car status....

Personally, I could use either, as I do like both, so I don't take it lightly.

But people want to be up high, and have more space that they can use

Funny part about it though it that it is kinda the second coming up the station wagon in many ways.....

3 hours ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

Honda produces the best mid sized cars, and this seems to be the best yet.

In a Pigs eye, as long as you are under 5'8" tall, want bland boring and simply overpriced yawn, then Honda is for you.

9 hours ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

Honda produces the best mid sized cars, and this seems to be the best yet.

Really not even close. I am from central Ohio where we drink the Kool aid of Honda regularly.  Accord is no where near as nice as the Regal.

And while I am no fan of Ford Motor company, I might well take a fusion over an Accord also.

I am really turned off by the styling of the current model Accord.

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

In a Pigs eye, as long as you are under 5'8" tall, want bland boring and simply overpriced yawn, then Honda is for you.

I think the Fusion, Malibu, Regal, and the like offer a lot more in terms of options choice, color, interior quality and the like.

• Agree 1

The Jetta is packaged more nicely and I far prefer the Jetta interior. If we go luxury midsize Cadillac and Audi build cars multiple orders of magnitude more interesting than the TSX. And I actually like the TSX and would not mind owning one.

Unlike many here I am perfectly content to drive a Foreign car for the rest of my life...but the Accord really does not make the cut IMHO.

• Agree 1

Problem with the Fusion Sport is that yes it has the TT V6 and AWD, but to get all the tech goodies and options you are well, WELL, into the 40k range. 

i expect a nicely loaded Camry SE V6 to run in the 34ishk range.  And 301 HP from the V6 and I am guessing roughly 600 pounds lighter with an 8 speed auto vs 6 speed auto and I think the Camry is going to be pretty even with the Fusion Sport.  I love the fact they are still offering it and the NA platform is supposed to be fantastic.  I would also trust the Camry more in the reliability department. 

2 hours ago, Guest asian persuasian said:

Accord is number one for a reason.  Buick Regal must then be nearly last for a reason.

By your form of argumentation McDonalds must make some of the best food on the planet...Honda is resting on its laurels and has been for quite some time.

Market penetration does not equate to quality of product.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Guest asian persuasian said:

Accord is number one for a reason.  Buick Regal must then be nearly last for a reason.

Number one according to whom? Sales? That's the Camry occupying that spot Btw so maybe better argument is in order. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Number one according to whom? Sales? That's the Camry occupying that spot Btw so maybe better argument is in order. 

Number one in payout of bribes and favors given to Car and Driver to make the ten best list...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Now you sound simply ridiculous

One Must question the way some mags seem to stick to a brand or two over and over no matter what the rest of the world seems to be saying.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Now you sound simply ridiculous

I was being sort of sarcastic. I don't mind if people love Honda.  Heck, my 24 year old son is doing quite well for himself and drives an Acura TL. It's just the thinking that they are the only car company on the planet that I detest.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

One Must question the way some mags seem to stick to a brand or two over and over no matter what the rest of the world seems to be saying.

You mean like Consumer Reports?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I was being sort of sarcastic. I don't mind if people love Honda.  Heck, my 24 year old son is doing quite well for himself and drives an Acura TL. It's just the thinking that they are the only car company on the planet that I detest.

You mean like Consumer Reports?

:thumbsup::yes:

The Accord checks a lot of boxes for the average consumer.

Reliable, check.

Good gas mileage, check.

Long lasting, check.

Roomy interior, check.

Inoffensive styling, check.

Resale value, check.

Honda knows what they are doing in the mid-size sedan segment.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:12 AM, daves87rs said:

Biggest Problem?

No one cares.. Midsize cars are going to be a dying breed quite quickly.......

i'd dispute that.  Midsizers now steal compact sales, and midsizers are a great second car option for the two car families.  They also help uphold cafe quite well.

Guest asianpersuasian

I think my post did not make it. 

I tried to post that Accord is the best selling car in America, having sold well over 13 million units by now.  

Honda seems to avoid fleeting out the Accord.  I have yet to encounter one in the rental fleets.  In the last 18 months or so, I've rented the Malibu (current and previous), Sonata, Camry, Altima, Passat, and Fusion.   

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

i'd dispute that.  Midsizers now steal compact sales, and midsizers are a great second car option for the two car families.  They also help uphold cafe quite well.

Wouldn't know that by the way they are giving them away around here! But I do agree somewhat, as discounts are putting the compact price range. At that point, they do offer a good bang for buck then.....

2 hours ago, Guest asianpersuasian said:

I tried to post that Accord is the best selling car in America, having sold well over 13 million units by now.  

You won't see one in my driveway.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Honda seems to avoid fleeting out the Accord.  I have yet to encounter one in the rental fleets.  In the last 18 months or so, I've rented the Malibu (current and previous), Sonata, Camry, Altima, Passat, and Fusion.   

Yes, but this kind of ignores the unique problems that GM and Ford have as full line auto makers.  They are not in a position to cut production to meet demand like Honda can.

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Wouldn't know that by the way they are giving them away around here! But I do agree somewhat, as discounts are putting the compact price range. At that point, they do offer a good bang for buck then.....

Here in central Ohio SUV have money on the hood also.

Market is very weak right now.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Accord checks a lot of boxes for the average consumer.

Reliable, check.

Good gas mileage, check.

Long lasting, check.

Roomy interior, check.

Inoffensive styling, check.

Resale value, check.

Honda knows what they are doing in the mid-size sedan segment.

It is a very nice choice.  Just not the most interesting or the best, or the only rational choice.

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Plus, given the global nature of Automotive sales, will be around for awhile.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Guest asianpersuasian said:

And? Best selling does not mean best car. 

11 hours ago, Guest asianpersuasian said:

It trails both the Civic and Corolla in that category (all time).  

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

He should be driving an Air cooled VW Beetle or a Model T ford actually, if that is his criteria.  Also, why does he not register for an account if he wants to enter into serious automotive discussion with us?

It's not like we stand naked in the back yard, bite the head off of a bat, and bark at the moon...

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

He should be driving an Air cooled VW Beetle or a Model T ford actually, if that is his criteria.  Also, why does he not register for an account if he wants to enter into serious automotive discussion with us?

It's not like we stand naked in the back yard, bite the head off of a bat, and bark at the moon...

Agree. 

As to why he won't engage in a real conversation, my guess is that he has been here before under another name, but it doesn't matter. Always playing the "best selling" game never ends well because as I said, "best selling" does not mean "best car". It's that simple. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Best Selling car? Would that not be all the variations of the GM W platform? After all if the guest who I suspect has been here before under another name believes that, then you have to really look at the platforms that have supported the cars that sell so well. I suspect GM's W platform would be right up there as some of the best if not the best.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Best Selling car? Would that not be all the variations of the GM W platform? After all if the guest who I suspect has been here before under another name believes that, then you have to really look at the platforms that have supported the cars that sell so well. I suspect GM's W platform would be right up there as some of the best if not the best.

W platform GM cars will be running around on the planet after the sun burns out...good thing GM installed headlights in them....

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Agree. 

As to why he won't engage in a real conversation, my guess is that he has been here before under another name, but it doesn't matter. Always playing the "best selling" game never ends well because as I said, "best selling" does not mean "best car". It's that simple. 

There is no content whatsoever to his response.  If following the crowd is the criteria, it is a sad one indeed.  In my high school in Muncie Indiana the majority of students spent weekends drunk out of their minds.  Do we advocate spending weekends for 17 year old students plastered because it is a majority choice?

Yes, Accord is an ice choice but it is not the only one.

• Agree 1

There are probably more Accords on the road than GM W-bodies.  

What will be interesting here is the Accord is a great mass market sedan but not a good luxury or sports sedan when Acura sells it.  So if Accord is built for sub 2 liter 4 cylinder engines, what about Acura?  Doesn't make sense to put in extra space under hood or to increase weight to support a V6 that won't be in the Accord.  And Acura isn't going to use a 1.5 liter turbo.