• 4 - Very good, but...
    • 3 - Not bad, not great
    • 2 - Mediocre at best
    • 1 - Ugh. Pukefest.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely seems like one of those designs that's hard to get a grasp of through pictures. From each angle, it looks different. I guess I'll have to wait to see it in person.

Same here..I like what I've seen so far, but I'll reserve judgement until I can sit in it, walk around it, etc..

I get a very strong Cadillac vibe from this front end. And I don't even mean A&S Cadillac. I mean Cadillacs of decades past. Back when Cadillac was the Standard of the World.

I don't think anyone outside GM was expecting a design this bold before its preview on 60 Minutes.

I want to see it in person as well, I'm especially interested in that cut-line that runs from the side vent up to the doorline.

It's really gorgeous, the grill reminds me of the ones on the mid 70's Eldorado: the ones that tucked under the lower front

Once again, amateur photos > GM photographers.

Very nice car all around. It took me a few years to warm up to the current CTS. This one is much more pleasing to the eye. Love the interior :thumbsup:

Love it in Silver! I would be smiling if I were sitting in it too! Great photos. Can't wait til Sunday to see it in person. Liking the design cues to Caddy's past. (sidenote: what happened to the clear/smoked tail lights we saw in past concepts/spy shots? guess it'll be for the new STS?)

I've been looking at photos and the available articles online for the last hour and I fail to see where you guys are thinking that Edmunds is slamming this vehicle. The previous vehicle had its flaws....no question. I owned a 2003 CTS LuxSport for two years before trading it for an SRX (kids happen). The CTS was a favorite of mine since it handled well, didn't feel like any Caddy I've ever owned before and I liked the polorizing exterior (and so did my wife). The original engine wasn't great and the interior had lots of swaths of black plastic. And yet the car found an audience, grabbing more buyers in year 2 thatn year one and being very consistent in sales all the way through the present. Caddy dealers loved that car.

On first blush I like this new car. The Caddy Sixteen grill is in-your-face, sharing the same look as the new 'Slade (and the curiously absent from the SRX refresh). There's lots new in the design but there are some important styling cues that still says "I'm a CTS". The chisel line from the trunk through the C pillar is still there. The tail still reminds me of the old car, only better and more pulled together, again sharing design cues from the bigger 'Slade. The side chisel line from the old car is less obvious, but it's still there and really shows up on some photography, depending on the lighting. It'll probably be more obvious in person.

The interior finally looks like GM will not have to make any excuses. This was always where the old car fell down. I've test driven Lexus, Acuras and Infinitis in recent months and this interior looks like GM paid attention to their competitors for once. The new direct injection V6 engine will make the car competitive again but keep in mind that this is 300 HP in the new SAE testing....everybody else has to make changes to their designs to avoid giving up 10-15 brake horsepower. One thing that hasn't been discussed is that with a 600 HP CTS-V likely in the future, a wider track 2008 CTS should make it possible for a new V8 option for this car in the 400 HP range. Since we already know that GM is working on a Northstar replacement for 2009, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a third engine choice down the road (not counting the V-series).

With the new CTS coming online, it's uncomfortably close to the current STS in size. The next STS needs to grow in size and be the next big sedan that Caddy really needs to round out the product line. We already know a smaller B-series car will come in under the CTS. A larger STS could complete the Caddy family nicely (in terms of sedans).

Before I state my opinion I will say colors will make a big difference in the perception this car gives off. I don't think choosing red, while its dramatic and a very classy red, is the best to show the lines, silver clearly does a much better job. When I initially saw the pictures on Edmunds I knew it wasn't going to floor me as much as I hoped for, now that I see more pictures I am also able to concur with my thought last night that I will need more pictures and to see the car in person before I can say I have a definitive opinion on it. It looks like it gets better looking....in different colors, from different angles, etc.

I'm getting a distinct feeling like seeing the Fusion, where I think the front is attractive, and the rest is a sleeper. This car has a killer front end, but the rest is really quite dull. The problem with this is that in a design everything works together, the front reflects on the sides, the sides reflect on the rear, and the rear reflects on the interior. I am now viewing the interior as not all that exciting since the rear is so boring. Not that the rear is unattractive or frumpy, actually the car has a great athletic stance. The dimmensions seem perfect, the profile and drawing of the greenhouse are awesome, but everything is culled down to reality and subtlety a bit too much. Except for the front, the front just screams at you. This is nearly the same way I felt about the Escalade when it first came out, and while I still think it's too subdued, the killer front end saves a lot on that car. Maybe I'll feel the same way about this, though this is a sports sedan and expectations for the design are higher.

This is how I felt after viewing the red one, but the silver one has changed my impressions slightly. I still don't like the references that come up in my mind of the current DTS and the last Eldorado, that's a big no no, as those cars may have had attractive elements, they are dowdy cars. I think the interior looks wonderful, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head that if I consider the interior I must consider the rest of the car now and not just the beautiful front end. I still believe it to be one of the most attractive sedans under $50k....but I gotta see more pictures

When I first saw the original CTS, I fell in love with it. I recognized the potential of this design theme immediately, same with the Evoq, Imaj, and Vizon....all of this was continued into Cien and Sixteen. I still see the potential in this design theme.....but after looking more and more at this car, I am beginning to see it wasn't realized here.

Edited by turbo200

I've only been sitting here for an hour while those pics loaded...

Anyways, it looks great. Not as edgy or in your face as the original CTS was, but it still is. The interior is the most dramatic part of it. Looks nothing like what you would expect from GM. Simply stunning. So, since C&G has been doing the "scale of 1-5" polls, this is the first vehicle I've felt compelled enough to give a 5.

I will reserve judgement until I see it in person. As others have said, some angles paint a very favorable profile, while others are not so...............flattering. The interior gets high marks just for removing all the cheap looking plastic that ruined the first generation CTS IMHO. Whether I like it or not, it is SEXY..................................

In September I was in the market for an SUV. I really wanted to get an SRX but could not get over the interior design. I ended up getting a VW Touareg and love it. The interior blows the SRX away. :censored:

With the 2008 CTS I have to say the car is amazing. Outside and inside GM got it right and can’t wait to get my very own. I am thrilled to say, Cadillac has a class leading interior. :thumbsup:

One thing that hasn't been discussed is that with a 600 HP CTS-V likely in the future, a wider track 2008 CTS should make it possible for a new V8 option for this car in the 400 HP range. Since we already know that GM is working on a Northstar replacement for 2009, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a third engine choice down the road (not counting the V-series).

(...)

With the new CTS coming online, it's uncomfortably close to the current STS in size. The next STS needs to grow in size and be the next big sedan that Caddy really needs to round out the product line. We already know a smaller B-series car will come in under the CTS. A larger STS could complete the Caddy family nicely (in terms of sedans).

I hope a mid-range V8 is offered, but only after the STS MCE or the NG STS. If this car gets the Northstar with the STS as it is now, it will murder the STS.

I hope a mid-range V8 is offered, but only after the STS MCE or the NG STS. If this car gets the Northstar with the STS as it is now, it will murder the STS.

Even without a mid range V8 - this will murder the STS. Right now I'm not even sure the Chinese SLS could save the STS line. What the STS needs is the SLSL interior combined with the 3.6L DI as the base motor and the UV8 at the mid range motor with the STS-V as the top motor.

Personally I don't think the CTS needs a mid range V8. With the DI 3.6L - it will be a very strong performer. For those that want more power there will be the CTS V or they can just move up to the STS (if the MCE is worthy of an upgrade...)

As I figured, non-GM photography instantly made this car look 10 times better.

I love the resemblance to the ETC in the rear and the front also reminds me of past Cadillacs and not really the Sixteen (And that's not necessarily a good thing) I'm just not too sold on the red car, the side looks MELTED DOWN bland which clashes really bad with the very busy nose. And the nose looks a little to heavy and low, kinda squished especially when one views it between the massive round fender forms. It's almost like it has been 'bolted on' to an existing CTS.

The silver car looks A LOT better, but it brings up a whole new set of issues with the tumblehome. The back door and rear fender have horrible proportions IMO.

I dunno about this one, I know I'm picking it apart probably 1) Because it was hyped so much and 2) Because it doesn't photograph well. (The original CTS didn't photograph well either)

I worry that Cadillac has lost it's edge and attitude with the new wave of cars. Then of course, I LOVE aggressive and sometimes even ODD designs that wouldn't sell well to the general public, so maybe it's just me.

I'll wait to see more pictures and I'll wait to see one in the flesh before I make a final decision.

Before I state my opinion I will say colors will make a big difference in the perception this car gives off. I don't think choosing red, while its dramatic and a very classy red, is the best to show the lines, silver clearly does a much better job. When I initially saw the pictures on Edmunds I knew it wasn't going to floor me as much as I hoped for, now that I see more pictures I am also able to concur with my thought last night that I will need more pictures and to see the car in person before I can say I have a definitive opinion on it. It looks like it gets better looking....in different colors, from different angles, etc.

I'm getting a distinct feeling like seeing the Fusion, where I think the front is attractive, and the rest is a sleeper. This car has a killer front end, but the rest is really quite dull. The problem with this is that in a design everything works together, the front reflects on the sides, the sides reflect on the rear, and the rear reflects on the interior. I am now viewing the interior as not all that exciting since the rear is so boring. Not that the rear is unattractive or frumpy, actually the car has a great athletic stance. The dimmensions seem perfect, the profile and drawing of the greenhouse are awesome, but everything is culled down to reality and subtlety a bit too much. Except for the front, the front just screams at you. This is nearly the same way I felt about the Escalade when it first came out, and while I still think it's too subdued, the killer front end saves a lot on that car. Maybe I'll feel the same way about this, though this is a sports sedan and expectations for the design are higher.

This is how I felt after viewing the red one, but the silver one has changed my impressions slightly. I still don't like the references that come up in my mind of the current DTS and the last Eldorado, that's a big no no, as those cars may have had attractive elements, they are dowdy cars. I think the interior looks wonderful, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head that if I consider the interior I must consider the rest of the car now and not just the beautiful front end. I still believe it to be one of the most attractive sedans under $50k....but I gotta see more pictures

When I first saw the original CTS, I fell in love with it. I recognized the potential of this design theme immediately, same with the Evoq, Imaj, and Vizon....all of this was continued into Cien and Sixteen. I still see the potential in this design theme.....but after looking more and more at this car, I am beginning to see it wasn't realized here.

Excellent post!!

X2

She's a beauty...can we get some hi-res versions for my desktop?

That's somethin C&G could do, desktop wallpapers... :idhitit:

EDIT: I noticed some useable resolutions for desktop, but would still like some higher res! :-P

Edited by Houze968

Very mixed reaction from this current-gen CTS owner.

My overall impression is favorable......but I feel disappointed in what I consider a "dumb-down" of the exterior style from the A-pillar back. It looks like to me they did the same thing with this new CTS (compared to the current one) that they did with the current STS (compared to the current CTS)......in other words, the car looks alot more bland to me in the profile and roofline.

The front end is GREAT.....but it gets boring from the A-pillar back.

I also LOVE the interior......another nice job.

So.....great front-end.....great interior.....but boring otherwise. They lost another opportunity, IMHO, of buidling upon the current CTS's "knife-edge" styling. Great design is more than just a "pretty face." That's what I consider this new CTS....a "pretty face."

I sum up my feelings this way......the new CTS doesn't make me want to run out and trade in my current car early just in order to get this new one. Would I consider leasing the new one at the end of my current lease? Sure...the new CTS will be a contender. But I really wanted a car that would make me "pull teeth" to get out of the lease in my '07.....this new one doesn't captivate me that much.....

Nice car.....slight disappointment.....

<_<

I was thinking...

for the positive side of this new revolution of sorts for GM car design....

we can't say the details aren't there.....or that the interior look and quality didn't go far enough [okay look is subjective of course].........we can applaud GM for making 17s standard, for making the 3.6 standard, for appearing to make the 3.6 DI available from launch [maybe that's why we have to wait till September, or later, for this car], for making a base trim interior look exciting, right, and rich...........and we can appaud them for making a modern cohesive design that doesn't fug things up [like the original CTS did in a few minor ways [license plate trim, slab-sidedness, some of the elements at the rear].

Still, I will not mask my slight disappointment because we are at a GM fansite, at what I stated above, and I'm beginning to see why a few months back, at the dealer preview, everybody was gaga over the Malibu and some Cadillac clay mockup, but the CTS was just 'really good' or 'awesome'. I still have not seen enough pictures. I still have not seen all the colors, but I guess the bigger issue I see is that this car really is close to perfection, but could've gone that much further and blown all the competitors away completely for years to come. As it is, sales will not be negatively affected, they will show an increase for the first few years, over the gen 1 CTS' best years, but ultimately not as high of an increase as they could have gotten had they gone a little further.