Sign in to follow this  
bobo

Motor Trend Truck of the Year

54 posts in this topic

bobo    91

It does not appear to be posted on the MT site yet, but here's an except of an article:

Chevy Silverado wins Motor Trend truck of the year

The redesigned Chevrolet Silverado was named 2007 truck of the year by Motor Trend magazine, an award that could increase already strong sales of the popular vehicle.

The truck beat out three other General Motors Corp. contenders: the Chevrolet Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade EXT and GMC Sierra. The Ford Explorer Sport Trac was also eligible for the title.

The vehicle of the year designation is important to automakers, who often use Motor Trend's endorsement in their advertising. The redesigned Toyota Camry, the hottest-selling car in America, won Motor Trend's 2007 Car of the Year award earlier.

The Silverado, released in the fall, offers a choice of cab and bed sizes, plus suspensions and drivetrains for a variety of uses. Motor Trend said its reliability and fuel efficiency were also factors in the win.

"The Silverado impressed us most of all because it is a great reworking of an iconic American vehicle," Motor Trend editor Angus MacKenzie said in a news release. "The Chevy pickup truck has been a part of the American automotive landscape for decades."

linky

FAPTurbo    1,077

w00t w00ten w00!

Aw, but the Camry won the Car category? Those Fartnuckers...

Edited by Captainbooyah

RJB    0

Good news good news, and from MT who would have thought. I like the GMC lookswise, but a win nonetheless for GM. Take that you anti-american media bitches!!!!

Dsuupr    12

Interesting, as I don't think the tundra would qualify next year because it would no longer be considered a "new" model (being a 2007 model year to start with).

Well deserved. :)

K.C.    0

Thats great news, although I prefer the looks of the Sierra to the Silverado. I am glad to see the classic Chevy truck looks return. The last gen was just ugly after the 2003 redesign.

Daryl Z71    14

Its about time. Glad to see something good for GM for a change. 8)

BigPontiac    28

Interesting, as I don't think the tundra would qualify next year because it would no longer be considered a "new" model (being a 2007 model year to start with).

229820[/snapback]

I'm not so sure...their rules state:

To be eligible for Truck of the Year, a vehicle must be totally new or redesigned, and released in the 12 months prior to January 1, 2007 (trucks with modifications such as new engines or that are variants of existing models are not eligible).

Toyota has less competition next year by releasing late...

Daryl Z71    14

Yea less competition so they have a better chance of winning and making themselves look good.

gm4life    5

There is a GOD! Well deserved award and now Chevy can brag about it! Also the Tundra will be taking the award next year... That is the bad news. Hopefully the new Malibu can take COTY!

siegen    20

Lol.

This year's field of contenders for Truck of the Year included the Chevrolet Avalanche, the Chevrolet Silverado, the Cadillac Escalade EXT, the Ford Explorer Sport Trac and the GMC Sierra.

The Sport Trac is all new? Could have fooled me.

siegen    20

So seeing as how Toyota made sure the Tundra was a 2007 model to get the better EPA ratings, will it have a shot for 2008 TOTY? I'm sure winning lots of awards is integral to Toyota's media strategy. I wonder if the Tundra would have won if it was up for the competition this year.... It would have certainly been nice to see a competition between more than one make and its subsidiaries. :P

BigPontiac    28

Ford super duty?

229952[/snapback]

Could be. I'm not sure if the 2500 Chevy and GMCs would compete for 2008 as well. Being a car magazine, I'm skeptical they'd pick anyone's HD models over Toyota's 1500 model.

Also, there WAS a big paid advertising booklet on the Silverado not too long ago in MT. I think it was the AutoExtremist who was talking about how MT could be bought...I think it was a Dodge Lancer or some such car he mentioned as the example.

Hopefully the award helps GM sell pickups, which can in turn give them cash to fund improved product for all the brands (particularly Pontiac!).

Northstar    11

Lambdas will be considered SUVOTY, not TOTY, Ven. For the North American Truck of the year they will be eligible, but not for the MT awards.

bcjohnso99    0

Good news good news, and from MT who would have thought. I like the GMC lookswise, but a win nonetheless for GM. Take that you anti-american media bitches!!!!

229819[/snapback]

Sorry to rain on your parade but their weren't any Jap pickups eligible this year, so Americans did not beat the Japs.

I'm a GM fan but this award is as meaningless as the Honda Ridgeline win from last year. No competition = joke award.

Now if Toyota didn't wimp out, the winner would have real bragging rights...

Although it would have been so much sweeter to see the Silverado beat the Tundra, I'm happy with the verdict. ^_^

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this