Motor Trend Truck of the Year

bobo

It does not appear to be posted on the MT site yet, but here's an except of an article:

Chevy Silverado wins Motor Trend truck of the year

The redesigned Chevrolet Silverado was named 2007 truck of the year by Motor Trend magazine, an award that could increase already strong sales of the popular vehicle.

The truck beat out three other General Motors Corp. contenders: the Chevrolet Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade EXT and GMC Sierra. The Ford Explorer Sport Trac was also eligible for the title.

The vehicle of the year designation is important to automakers, who often use Motor Trend's endorsement in their advertising. The redesigned Toyota Camry, the hottest-selling car in America, won Motor Trend's 2007 Car of the Year award earlier.

The Silverado, released in the fall, offers a choice of cab and bed sizes, plus suspensions and drivetrains for a variety of uses. Motor Trend said its reliability and fuel efficiency were also factors in the win.

"The Silverado impressed us most of all because it is a great reworking of an iconic American vehicle," Motor Trend editor Angus MacKenzie said in a news release. "The Chevy pickup truck has been a part of the American automotive landscape for decades."

linky

Well deserved. :)

Interesting, as I don't think the tundra would qualify next year because it would no longer be considered a "new" model (being a 2007 model year to start with).

229820[/snapback]

I'm not so sure...their rules state:

To be eligible for Truck of the Year, a vehicle must be totally new or redesigned, and released in the 12 months prior to January 1, 2007 (trucks with modifications such as new engines or that are variants of existing models are not eligible).

Toyota has less competition next year by releasing late...

Lol.

This year's field of contenders for Truck of the Year included the Chevrolet Avalanche, the Chevrolet Silverado, the Cadillac Escalade EXT, the Ford Explorer Sport Trac and the GMC Sierra.

The Sport Trac is all new? Could have fooled me.

So seeing as how Toyota made sure the Tundra was a 2007 model to get the better EPA ratings, will it have a shot for 2008 TOTY? I'm sure winning lots of awards is integral to Toyota's media strategy. I wonder if the Tundra would have won if it was up for the competition this year.... It would have certainly been nice to see a competition between more than one make and its subsidiaries. :P

Ford super duty?

229952[/snapback]

Could be. I'm not sure if the 2500 Chevy and GMCs would compete for 2008 as well. Being a car magazine, I'm skeptical they'd pick anyone's HD models over Toyota's 1500 model.

Also, there WAS a big paid advertising booklet on the Silverado not too long ago in MT. I think it was the AutoExtremist who was talking about how MT could be bought...I think it was a Dodge Lancer or some such car he mentioned as the example.

Hopefully the award helps GM sell pickups, which can in turn give them cash to fund improved product for all the brands (particularly Pontiac!).

Good news good news, and from MT who would have thought. I like the GMC lookswise, but a win nonetheless for GM. Take that you anti-american media bitches!!!!

229819[/snapback]

Sorry to rain on your parade but their weren't any Jap pickups eligible this year, so Americans did not beat the Japs.

I'm a GM fan but this award is as meaningless as the Honda Ridgeline win from last year. No competition = joke award.

Now if Toyota didn't wimp out, the winner would have real bragging rights...

Sorry to rain on your parade but their weren't any Jap pickups eligible this year, so Americans did not beat the Japs.

I'm a GM fan but this award is as meaningless as the Honda Ridgeline win from last year. No competition = joke award.

230062[/snapback]

True but the people who saw the Ridgeline advertised for a whole year as TOTY didn't know it didn't have any serious competition. Now GM will get to advertise the hell out of this for a year and Toyota can't claim anything for a year.

Lambdas will be considered SUVOTY, not TOTY, Ven. For the North American Truck of the year they will be eligible, but not for the MT awards.

230006[/snapback]

Shows the last time I paid attention to MotorTrend. Didn't know that had a separate SUV Of The Year award. heh... Did they spin off SUVTrend yet? or are they covered in TruckTrend?

ONE of two things happened...

1) This explains why Toyota pushed their launch back... (Sure, it probably wasn't the primary reason, but it COULD'VE contributed) Afterall, Toyota NEEDS all the kudos they can get in this segment and next year they will be a "NO BRAINER" for MT TOTY. Well, that or they just realized that T900 kicks the Tundras ass in every respect.

----- OR -----

2) MT was ready to hand the title to the new Tundra and hand to pick the "Runner up" when Japan Inc. delayed it's launch. Or, they promised it to Toyota for next year anyway, since then the Tundra wouldn't have to go up against T900.

Oh, and it doesn't say much for the Silverado (intentionally, I'm sure) that all it had to beat was it's platform mates.

P.S. Is the Camry really that hot?!?!?! I thought sales were a little timid (At least at first) and I certainly am NOT seeing many of them on roads.

230062[/snapback]

My reference was to MT, they usually dump on any domestic vehicle. I realize there were no Japanese pickups this year. I'm just happy that a little flack can be taken off of GM and they can rub this in the face of all those people(media) that predict doomsday for GM every other month.

Toyota has to deal with the Ford Superduty in addition to the HD trucks from GM. It doesn't have smooth sailing ahead.

230301[/snapback]

The '08 Super Duty is just a refresh of a '99 design. though..and painfully ugly up front.

The new Tundra IS a 2007 model! Remember how Toyota cheated the system by calling it a 2007 to avoid the new fuel economy regulations. I think they may have outwitted even themselves in this sillyness. How is Motor Trend going to call the "all new 2007 Tundra introduced in Feb of 2007 Motor trends 2008 truck of the Year? Nice to see that even Gods make mistakes!

The new Tundra IS a 2007 model! Remember how Toyota cheated the system by calling it a 2007 to avoid the new fuel economy regulations. I think they may have outwitted even themselves in this sillyness. How is Motor Trend going to call the "all new 2007 Tundra introduced in Feb of 2007 Motor trends 2008 truck of the Year? Nice to see that even Gods make mistakes!

230427[/snapback]

Yeah, and Toyota is advertising it on their website as a 2007...looks like no MT TOTY award for Toyota, heh-heh..

I was impressed though not surprised when I viewed this in the Detroit Free Press this afternoon.

Edited by MyerShift

P.S. Is the Camry really that hot?!?!?! I thought sales were a little timid (At least at first) and I certainly am NOT seeing many of them on roads.

230235[/snapback]

Got to climb through a Camry at a recent training event. The back seats were like glorified cardboard and were actually quite "pliable"!! The styling on this vehicle would be considered BLAND at best.

Who would pay that much for a vehicle that has absolutely no character or style to it whatsoever. The dash looks like a lego project gone bad too,

:stupid:

My reference was to MT, they usually dump on any domestic vehicle. I realize there were no Japanese pickups this year. I'm just happy that a little flack can be taken off of GM and they can rub this in the face of all those people(media) that predict doomsday for GM every other month.

230292[/snapback]

I can sympathize with you. Our "AJAC" awards were recently announced (the Automotive Journalists of Canada). I think AJAC should change their acronym to the ILC ... Import Lovers of Canada. How can they get in these cars and consider them the best??? yuck,

Janette

Today is December 21st, I just saw a sold all-new Tundra at the mall in NJ. They no longer qualify for 2008. I am positive that this was their new truck. Toyota screwed themselves out of an award that the autorags will still try hard to bend the rules to give to them.

230427[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing last night. If its a 07 it won't be able to compete for 08 TOTY. They probably preffered to have it called 07 to avoid the new EPA rules.

Anyone see the new MT?!?!?!

The TOTY gets ZERO exposure on the front page (In favor of a warmed over Viper) and is shoved all the way to the back of the magazine and hidden in the ads...

Nice to see the Camry (COTY) get an entire issue devoted to it, yet the equally remarkable and MORE important (Launch-wise) Silverado get absolutely NO exposure...

Bias is as bias does.... No american fans at MT.

I was thinking the same thing last night. If its a 07 it won't be able to compete for 08 TOTY. They probably preffered to have it called 07 to avoid the new EPA rules.

===================================================================================

I don't think it participated because they couldn't get a production vehicle ready in time for the competition. I bet it will participate in next year's event. I'm not up on the rules ot MT TOTY competition, but I think it may be eligible. Anyone know their exact rules to confirm/deny this?

Did M/T swear-off the Toyonda kool-aid?

Anyway :ohyeah::pbjtime:8)

Naw, they just didn't have anybody to choose from, if Toyota stuck to their original plans Chevy would have got screwed again.