2008 Cadillac CTS official photos

Those exterior pics look strange...like the car isn't real. Looks like they've taken the evolutionary route and cleaned up/refined some of the details of the 1st CTS.

The interior looks like a cross between a previous-gen G35 and Acura TL. Much better than the old CTS' but not exactly a stunner.

Overall, I give it a solid "B".

The interior does have sort of an Infiniti look. I'd like to see a profile shot to get a better feel of the proportions. If I have any criticism of the exterior, the face is kind of big and will take some getting used to. The wheel arches are very muscular.

Just a bit of warning for those thinking about reading the edmunds article.... don't. They make the car sound like it's just going to be another non-descript entry-level luxury car. At least, that's what I got from that article. Leave it to edmunds to downplay anything spectacular to come out of detroit.

I'll want some better pictures...

But so far... that looks to be one bad-assed mother :censored:'er

I like the USB integration, as well as full iPod integration. Perfect for blasting some c0ckr0ck at nearby Mercedes drivers while leaving the IS350 behind you in the dust.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Just a bit of warning for those thinking about reading the edmunds article.... don't. They make the car sound like it's just going to be another non-descript entry-level luxury car. At least, that's what I got from that article. Leave it to edmunds to downplay anything spectacular to come out of detroit.

I thought they were rather enthusiastic about the new CTS. Although I did read how they were saying this CTS powertrain and interior combination should have debuted for the first gen, overall they like it. I know I do too. I'm loving that new front end and seeing the Caddy in the orange and red is really surprising and threw me off guard. I was expecting the silver one to show up, but that red really pumps up the "newness" of this NG CTS. The only current gripe I have is the alum trim for the center console, it resembles the G35's just a little too much for me. I'd have to go wood on this one I think...

The front end is fantastic, the exagerated fenders, grille and lines are powerful looking. The back end is much more traditional Cadillac looking than the current ugly end of the first generation. The side ports echo the same styling element that the Escalade has and its good to see some common Cadillac DNA there besides the styling itself.

If you go to the Edmunds' page there's a nice video that gives you a view of the car from different angles and also a sample of the exhaust note. They also give you a look at how the ambient lighting looks like inside.

Edited by big blue

Those red CTS pics added above look more "real". I don't know...I think I was expecting something more muscular-looking having seen the teaser shots and the orange CTS pics.

The DTS immediately came to mind looking at that front end which I guess it sort of should but at the same time it shouldn't. The DTS (compared to what the CTS should be) is a pretty "blah" car, IMO. "Blah" shouldn't be coming to mind looking at a sport sedan.

Also, the stance looks weird and the rear has a stubby appearance to it. Barring any new and/or better pics, I think I'll have to downgrade my feelings on the styling to "B-/C+".

Unless the next LaCrosse and Lucerne sweep me off my feet, this will be my Park Avenue's replacement. :o

Comments on the styling:

Profile reminds me of a Mercedes C-class

Interior gives me a Subaru Tribeca feel, but I love it. The wood looks fantastic contrasting with the metal-look interior.

Plus: Front is gorgeous

Minus: I don't really care for the steering wheel, but that's just looking for something wrong on a car with soooo much right.

A+ Cadillac! :booyah::thumbsup:

There's quite a lot to take in... but overall I think it's pretty good.

I'm sure the competition is thinking the same thing :AH-HA_wink:

I hate the fender vents, though.

I think the vents will look better in person considering they contribute to the cut lines under the door windows.

Love the agressively front end, decent rear end.

Love the AWD option. Love the 268hp engine being standard, and finally the interior that is that of a Cadillac. Neat on the ambent lighting on the door handles etc.

Still not a fan of the rear quarter panels on the 3/4 look.

Has the same higer rear end as the Pontiac Gran Am/Grand Prix, at least in that one picture it seems. Watching the video, a high trunk line that doesn't look right with he body height at the rear pillar. Maybe its just me, just looks a little odd.

Wondering what the base CTS will look like. Same front end or are parts blacked out?

Video has a sound of the engine...doesn't sound like a Gm engine!

Overall, a very nice looking CTS.

Edited by mr.nice

The car itself looks awesome but GM has a real problem. This is a problem they need to address from this point on.

Look at the above interior picture. There are foot prints on the pedals and what appears to be a stain on the carpet near the door.

Please do not allow the release of pictures before someone reviews them thoroughly. Even if you have to have an entire team of people to work through the pictures, please have a checklist or some form of control with your photography folks. I understand mistakes happen and everyone makes them, but not in situations like this.

Look at the above interior picture. There are foot prints on the pedals and what appears to be a stain on the carpet near the door.

Well, I'd be more concerned about the slight misalignment of the carbon-fiber trim behind the steering wheel (left side in the high-res interior picture), but since these are still pre-series cars, I'm sure everything will be fixed by the time the car arrives in showrooms.

Another thing I'd like to know is where the side turn signals and the rear fog lights will be placed in export models: Those little details can ruin a car's looks and I hope Cadillac adapts the car to export regulations like they did with the XLR (extremely subtle differences between US and export models) and not like the Escalade.

From these pictures, and even with my little nitpicking above, the CTS deserves an A+.

EDIT re those of us in Europe: will the 2.8L get DI too?

Edited by ZL-1

We had a 2003 Cadillac CTS as a family car. No longer have it as the lease expired.

To be honest with you, I think the original CTS was a better car in its time than its successor. The new CTS just doesn't do it for me.

That and I can't stand Edmund's stupid :censored: comments, so I'm going to go to another source to try to read about the new car.

But overall, good job GM.

Edited by Shantanu

A very romantic, mature evolution of Art&Science. Beautiful.

I just watched the Edmunds video. What a bunch of dickheads... the last sentence in the narration: "Still not quite the Standard of the World, but closer than Cadillac has come in a long time." Nice parting shot.

Has this car grown in size? That comes as a big surprise. :scratchchin:

Width grows by 2 inches, and 1 inches have been added to the front and back, making the length something like 192".

I thought Cadillac was going to make the next CTS smaller, so that it's closer in size to its more nimble ~180" competitors like the 3-series, A4, G35, etc. ???

That and this thing is seriously encroaching on the STS's turf, if it had any turf.

Width grows by 2 inches, and 1 inches have been added to the front and back, making the length something like 192".

I thought Cadillac was going to make the next CTS smaller, so that it's closer in size to its more nimble ~180" competitors like the 3-series, A4, G35, etc. ???

That and this thing is seriously encroaching on the STS's turf, if it had any turf.

That's the fun part!!! What will Cadillac make of the NG STS?

I with GM didn't follow the other companies in making the interior with confusing looking with so many buttons that look the same.

I do love the overall design though, both inside and out. The interior is very non-GM in it's look of quality.

YEAH!! NO CORPORATE STEREO!!

Could the other divisions be so lucky as to get their own as well?

Edited by Dsuupr

Looks way better than the current CTS, which I never found a good angle on that car. Who decided about those tailights on the first one? they should be shot then stabbed with a spoon. I'm so glad they actually made this car look like a luxury car that has very nice lines.

At first blush, I'm lukewarm on this update. I guess that I expected more "wow" than I'm getting from these pics. The rear is much improved, but the rest isn't doing much for me. Having never liked the styling of the CTS (except the V), maybe I was expecting too much.

Wrong color. Not flattering at all. I don't see much difference. It's just my opinion, but I think the front grille is overwrought and hangs down too far. They could have done a new grille that was more subtle. The overall proportions and silhouette are fine; however, in that aerial shot, the beltline looks Camry-esque. I like the dashboard quite a bit. I especially like the placement of the center stack vents. It's not cookie-cutter.

Edited by trinacriabob

So far, I have to say it looks great inside and out...I really like what I've seen of the interior, with the wood and two-tone. (I hate the look of fake carbon fiber as much as real carbon fiber). I like what I've seen of the exterior, would like to see it in silver or a dark blue. I like the wheels also.

Edited by moltar

WOW, the Edmunds article ALREADY casts a negative shadow over the car..... "Not as good as Acura's SH-AWD".... "Powertrain that is KEEPING UP"... "Lighting ripped off from the A8"... and the downplaying CONTINUES. Looks like the CTS will be getting negative reviews.

My impressions:

The exterior is very underwhelming. It looks nothing like the car I got a sneak peek at (It's much more dumbed down---Lutz must've walked in to the Cadillac studio.) I don't have issues with the front or back, it's the side that has the same BORING-NESS of the STS and every other car on the road today. Where is the chisled and muscular profile? The wheels look like sh*t (A Cadillac norm now, it seems) At least the interior is nice.

But, I'll admit that I *WILL NOT* pass final judgment until I see NON-HORRIBLE Gm photography. I swear, the photogs at the RenCen have went from BAD to WORSE. I didn't think that was possible.

The Edmunds article worries me though... Did GM go far enough with this re-design or are they simply being tepid and keeping up? (Like with the STS) Is it attractive enough? Do the new powerplants go far enough? is the AWD good enough? (Get the picture?) The CTS has to be a homerun.

I was hoping for something more agressive looking. I really hate the steering wheel. Where is the full navigation system? I hope its not OnStar only. Those of us that are getting screwed by the analog OnStar probably are not going to give OnStar a chance in the future. The rest of the car looks pretty good. I can't say that I will definitely be buying another CTS but for now its on my short list. I want to see what Lincoln is offering up.

Rear: An excellent blend of CTS and STS. A much more refined version of the original CTS tail, without being too refined and boring like the STS. Solid A.

Front: The shot in orange paint is awesome, but the angle / lighting of the red-painted model has me a little nervous. Jury will remain out until I see one in person. Interesting detail: The amber reflectors are on the inward side of the head lamps.

Interior: Love the steering wheel, gauges, center stack, vents, stitched dashboard, and the artistic yet carefully ergonomic button layout. A+ for design and features. Other observations about the interior: XM button in addition to AM/FM button. Dual climate control zones each get their own display. The USB port - if there is one - is not exposed. Additionally, USB makes for smaller and more useful MP3 portability than Compact Flash (See 2008 QX56. WTF, Infiniti?).

Brougham-Holiday -- Look at the larger orange CTS pic. The GM badge is beneath the crease and in front of the door.

network engineer -- I don't see the keyless go. The interior shots I see have a turnkey ignition. Unless you're referring to something else.