Some closure on W bodies

While the LaCrosse and the Impala will continue through 2008 MY at Oshawa GM Canada plant, the curtain will fall on both the Grand Prix and the Monte Carlo at mid-year, or December 2007. That's 10 or so more months of production on these cars. I guess that's to retool the portion of the Oshawa plant that will put out RWD cars. Some of you will be ecstatic. I just wish they had done a better job with these cars in the first place, allowing them to complete the full model year. Oh well.

as a two time w-body owner, it will be sad to see them go. The platform may be getting a little dated, but it has come along way since the original '88 models. It's nice that GM will be offering RWD cars again, but I wish they'd continue offering something FWD in this size too.

I'll def. miss the W's, mine has been very good to me- a quarter-million miles good, next month. I had even gotten to like toe latest GP, too, esp. the GXP (make mine white plz). Interesting to see what's in store.

Good or bad, it looks like another FWD Pontiac GXP gets a very brief lifespan. Future collectible? Discuss.

Too bad. I still like the Grand Prix. Nowadays, its so unique, so out there, so 'f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix, bitch.' It seems like you'll never find a dashboard crazy like this in another car again...

Posted Image

...and that's actually a bit sad.

you know, I see what you're saying, ....buuuut I'm gonna have to say a big no. The Gran Prix just wasn't that cohesive image of what you're saying. Too many base models and not enough GTPs and GXPs running around....too long of a body, that W-body look says I am stuck in another century...plus the overall look is fat overweight heavy and unsporty especially in base models Edited by turbo200

It's time to move on. W- was one of the worst projects in history from a financial standpoint for GM. I'm guessing if costs weren't so overblown during development they wouldn't have had to stay around for so long. They're well past their prime and it's time for them to go.

Too bad. I still like the Grand Prix. Nowadays, its so unique, so out there, so 'f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix, bitch.' It seems like you'll never find a dashboard crazy like this in another car again...

Posted Image

...and that's actually a bit sad.

I kind of agree. I actually don't mind the interior (it's better than the old GP's). Just give it to me with a navi headunit (OEM or aftermarket) and maybe a couple of aluminum trim pieces around the door window switches to break up the blackness and I'd be happy.

And the exterior, I already like the (non-GXP) front end and I'd be alright with the rear with some smoking of the tail lights or covers along these lines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

i just do not like how they change names like water at GM G8 should of been called garnd prix in my opinion and the monte should have gone to epsilon like G6 coupe make it classy and hot looking abnd it would smoke the Solara and Accord Coupe and the upcoming Altima Coupe the camaro can be the RWD coupe likes its suppose to be. RIP to both of them i was also i two time W Body owner a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina and currently 2000 Buick Regal both great reliable cars in my family we have A lot of the Ws The Regal, Intrigue, Grand Prix, And Monte Carlo

GM is changing. So much has changed for the better. In the process of those changes for the better, names , divisions and cars have been dropped. It has upset many and more. In the end we all hope it is for the greater good of GM. I drove the current Grand Prix for 12 days when my first Ninety Eight was totaled. It was a great riding car. The interior was a different story.. I knew they were trying to make it like the 1970's Grand Prixs. These cars have had long runs. I remember the heyday when they were rear drive before.

Maybe in time people will fondly remember them. I remember when they came out in 1988. That platform is almost twenty years old. So many cars have been on that platform too. It is funny how it grew in size. The first W Bodies were 188 inches long. The last ones are 198-200 inches long.

You hate to see a product go when you liked it or whatever. Was it really competitive still?

We will see what things bring. Everything is coming full circle.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Good to see them fade out after a long period of service...they made ok rental cars (I've rented a bunch over the last decade, Luminas, Monte Carlos, Impalas, Grands Prix, Centurys)...

I always thought the Ws--any of them--had wierd proportions, more so than other FWD cars..the front wheel to front door distance was very short with a long overhang in front of the wheel...made them look awkward...

Hate to be blunt, but I won't miss 'em a bit. :AH-HA_wink:

*nods*

Took the words right outta my hands, Camino ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nobody likes to be let down" ... Jack Johnson ... 'Flake'

The Monte Carlo dies in June. The Grand Prix dies in November. The LaCrosse will last another year. But the RWD Impala won't be ready until the summer of 2010, which means the FWD Impala will likely last that long as well. You've got three years still to say goodbye.

Finally, one of the last pieces of Roger Smith's MAJOR F UPS is leaving GM. I have a W body and I love it, but come on..... it was a 12 year old platform when I bought it in 00. The inerior is so small for as big of a car as it is. I hold a soft spot in my heart for the W but the Zeta is welcomed and eagerly awaited.

I'm not that sad to see them go. None of the current cars I care much for. The Impala is probably the best IMO...it has the least awkward proportions I think. The platform is pretty ancient, so it's nice to see it replaced by the RWD Zeta. But hey, at least GM is doing something about their old platforms. Can't say the same about Ford.

Nowadays, its so unique, so out there, so 'f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix, bitch.' It seems like you'll never find a dashboard crazy like this in another car again...

Posted Image

That's a keeper, Flybry, so funny. I agree. I love the dash in the car and the in-dash ignition. It's unique and a great leap forward from 1997-2003. I wish they had done a little bit better job on the exterior. You can't throw a rock without hitting a rental GP these days. I see them EVERYWHERE. In fact, I spent a weekend not long ago in one of these base models to go mess around up in Chico, CA. I had fun driving around my base model GP.

GM used to have the best mid-size sedans, but GM let the old FWD A-bodies wither. The W-bodies were supposed to put GM back into the game and give Ford competition to the then-new Taurus, but then GM lost the mid-size market for good. They weren't bad cars at all, just a step behind the competition. Of the dozen or so W-bodies I've driven over the years, I found the last Regals to be the most agreeable. They had understated style, drove well, and were comfortable. I never had the chance to drive the Intrigue, but I imagine I would have liked it. On the other hand, I feel the G-bodies are much more substantial cars for just a little bit more money.

While the LaCrosse and the Impala will continue through 2008 MY at Oshawa GM Canada plant, the curtain will fall on both the Grand Prix and the Monte Carlo at mid-year, or December 2007. That's 10 or so more months of production on these cars. I guess that's to retool the portion of the Oshawa plant that will put out RWD cars. Some of you will be ecstatic. I just wish they had done a better job with these cars in the first place, allowing them to complete the full model year. Oh well.

Ding Dong Roger Smith is dead Roger Smith is FINALLY dead, or at least the last tortured remnants (the GM10's, W-cars, etc.) of his failed rule are finally going away.

Edited by SS427

GM is changing. So much has changed for the better. In the process of those changes for the better, names , divisions and cars have been dropped. It has upset many and more. In the end we all hope it is for the greater good of GM. I drove the current Grand Prix for 12 days when my first Ninety Eight was totaled. It was a great riding car. The interior was a different story.. I knew they were trying to make it like the 1970's Grand Prixs. These cars have had long runs. I remember the heyday when they were rear drive before.

Maybe in time people will fondly remember them. I remember when they came out in 1988. That platform is almost twenty years old. So many cars have been on that platform too. It is funnny how it grew in size. The first W Bodies were 188 inches long. The last ones are 198-200 inches long.

You hate to see a product go when you liked it or whatever. Was it really competitive still?

We will see what things bring. Everything is coming full circle.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but you had the following built on the GM10 (W-Body platform)

Chevrolet:

Lumina Sedan (Two Generations)

Lumina Coupe (One Generation)

Lumina APV

Monte Carlo (Two Generations, One 2nd Gen Restyle)

Venture

Uplander

Pontiac:

Grand Prix Sedan (Three Generations)

Grand Prix Coupe (Two Generations, One 1st Gen restyle)

Trans Sport (Two Generations)

Montana (Two Generations)

Aztec

Oldsmobile:

Cutlass Supreme Sedan (One Restyle)

Cutlass Supreme Coupe (One Restyle)

Cutlass Supreme Convertible

Silhouette

Intrigue

Buick:

Regal Sedan (Two Generations, at least one mild 1st gen restyle)

Regal Coupe (2 mild restyles)

Rendezvous

Lacrosse (Restyle with Lacrosse Super)

Terazza

Saturn:

Relay

Well that's 21 vehicles on one platform in 20 years and that is not counting different trim levels (LS, GT, CXS, etc.) performance versions (Z36, GXP, SS) and special edition's (Pace Cars, etc.).

Edited by SS427

Don't forget the Opel Sintra...it's the very reason that the 1997+ minivans were European sized (and thus so wrong for the U.S.). Oh yeah, there was also the Buick GL8 (China).

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but you had the following built on the GM10 (W-Body platform)

Chevrolet:

Lumina Sedan (Two Generations)

Lumina Coupe (One Generation)

Lumina APV

Monte Carlo (Two Generations, One 2nd Gen Restyle)

Venture

Uplander

Pontiac:

Grand Prix Sedan (Three Generations)

Grand Prix Coupe (Two Generations, One 1st Gen restyle)

Trans Sport (Two Generations)

Montana (Two Generations)

Aztec

Oldsmobile:

Silhouette

Intrigue

Buick:

Regal Sedan (Two Generations, at least one mild 1st gen restyle)

Regal Coupe (2 mild restyles)

Rendezvous

Lacrosse (Restyle with Lacrosse Super)

Terazza

Saturn:

Relay

Well that's 21 vehicles on one platform in 20 years and that is not counting different trim levels (LS, GT, CXS, etc.) performance versions (Z36, GXP, SS) and special edition's (Pace Cars, etc.).

post-627-1170414169_thumb.jpg

Edited by bdubsee

I'd be happy to slaughter a dozen FWD cars with a transverse

mounted motor just to get one more RWD product from GM!

Monte Carlo-I'll miss it in name-I'd miss it more if it were correctly applied and styled to a 2-door hardtop coupe, maybe as a roomier, larger, more luxurious cousin to the Camaro coming up, ditto Grand Prix, who had a great dashboard, even if styling was questionable and relic-like. LaCrosse-keep the split-bench or bucket seat options, style it (something Buick forgot to do with Lucerne-great stance but no style), and make it look like the classic 2000 concept car. I like the current Impala, but make it a little larger, expand the V-8, change V-6's, and make the formula work with rear or all-wheel-drive! And even if its lower volume, revive a Malibu Coupe to compete with Nissan Altima and to replace Monte Carlo-see the SS concept car for styling!

Out with the old! cant have the "like never before" when you still sell the "like always".The best looking W-body was the 00-05 imp even in base cop trim it looks good(wish the same could be said for the current car) Shame about the monte , just started to get it right with the v-8 ss. and the GP..... well it was special

Would like to see a coupe version of the 08 malibu replace the monte

I'd be happy to slaughter a dozen FWD cars with a transverse

mounted motor just to get one more RWD product from GM!

Hitler from Slovakia. Kidding, but you are right. Get one GOOD RWD and get rid of those W bodies. As an owner of a 1998 Lumina, I will not regret this platform being dead. As much I love the car, I just cannot see how they persisted with the platform for 20 odd years.

Oldsmobile:

What an impressive list! The Cutlass Supreme convertible went through one restyle as well. Total convertible production for 1990 was 494 units. The 1991 Cutlass Supreme convertible shared the coupe's restyle and ditched the composite headlights, gained new front and rear bumpers and side trim.

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible (scanned from Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile 1897-1997)

Posted Image

My 1994 Cutlass Supreme convertible

Posted Image

Edited by Cadavillac

I am a 3 time and current W GP owner. I am glad to see them go after such a long time. All the cars have been flawless reliblity wise but each one developed loud clunks in the front suspension like something is loose. Hit a moderate bump and the floor thumps and a disconected thumping noise comes from under the dash. This I hate!!!! Does anyone know what parts are the couse of this is?

Welcom G8 you are the next car I buy!

I actually think the Monte Carlo is somewhat attractive and wouldn't mind owning an SS.

Now GM needs to take the hardware from the GP GXP and transfer it to the Impala SS. I would be sad to lose the GP if I didn't know that Pontiac would be getting the G8.

Too bad the Solstice GXP will be the only serious performance car in the Pontiac line up now. At least the GP GXP did impress with it's abilities unlike the (2 steps backward) approach of the trim and tack on only Torrent and G6 GXPs

The Monte Carlo was the last true mid size personal luxury coupe and shame on GM for letting it rot and decontenting the hell out of it. The name Monte Carlo and Cutlass and Regal mean a lot to me and bring back memories of far happier times when cars actually were distinctive and had style and interior color. It's a shame that they didn't always perform well(Grand Nationals excluded of course) and rotted out in the rust belts. I would have bought a new Monte Carlo if Chevy built it the way they used to: floor shift indicators, glove box light, bodyside moldings, no rear spolier, optional wood interior trim, padded armrests etc. I will be totally upset with GM if they drop the Monte Carlo name for good and slap the name Chevelle on some imported Asian clone with no style whatsoever. It's pretty bad when not even one mid size coupe can't be sold in sufficeint quantities and getting harder and harder to be a car enthusiasts these days when all my favorite types of cars are being retired.

No more Hughes

No more EDS

No more Ross Perot

No more BOC/CPC

No more Delphi

No more Oldsmobile

No more plastic Saturns

and

when the last W falls off the assembly line after 20 years of production, the loss, of 20 points of marketshare, hundreds of thousands of jobs and billion of dollars -

The Roger Smith Era will finally be closed.

Edited by evok

I am a 3 time and current W GP owner. I am glad to see them go after such a long time. All the cars have been flawless reliblity wise but each one developed loud clunks in the front suspension like something is loose. Hit a moderate bump and the floor thumps and a disconected thumping noise comes from under the dash. This I hate!!!! Does anyone know what parts are the couse of this is?

Welcom G8 you are the next car I buy!

It seems that the W-bodies are notorious for strut mounts and bearings and intermediate steering shaft failures. Litterally everyone that has owned one has had these issues with them. Depending on how many miles are on your car you may want to take your current car in for service to see if they will clear up some of these issues if the warrenty is still valid. I took my 1998 in and for around $100.00 lubed the ISS shaft which cleared up a lot of front end noises, clunks and looseness in the steering. Any good service station should be able to install struts for a reasonable sum if your warrenty is out.

No more Hughes

No more EDS

No more Ross Perot

No more BOC/CPC

No more Delphi

No more Oldsmobile

No more plastic Saturns

and

when the last W falls off the assembly line after 20 years of production, the loss, of 20 points of marketshare, hundreds of thousands of jobs and billion of dollars -

The Roger Smith Era will finally be closed.

And then what? What I'm wondering is when will the bleeding stop. We might be here in 10 years looking back saying no more Buick, no more Pontiac at a GM with 10-15 market share.

And then what? What I'm wondering is when will the bleeding stop. We might be here in 10 years looking back saying no more Buick, no more Pontiac at a GM with 10-15 market share.

Look at the bright side, at least GM's W bodies will be out of production by the end of the year. The number 4 automaker in the US in January 2007, "FORD" is still producing the panthers.

Wagoner gets until Jan 2008.

Edited by evok

The W-Bodies were screwed from the very beginning when GM brought out a trio of COUPES instead of competitive midsize SEDANS.

you know, I see what you're saying, ....buuuut I'm gonna have to say a big no. The Gran Prix just wasn't that cohesive image of what you're saying. Too many base models and not enough GTPs and GXPs running around....too long of a body, that W-body look says I am stuck in another century...plus the overall look is fat overweight heavy and unsporty especially in base models

I agree......while I don't mind the actual LOOK of the Grand Prix's interesting dash and interior, it's the fit-and-finish and execution that have always let these cars down.

The Regal GS used to be one of my favorite GM cars, and my mom had 2 or 3 of them in a row. Unfortunately, that car's interior was a disaster from a fit-and-finish and quality standpoint.

The current (Impala, LaCrosse) W-bodies are MUCH improved in this matter......but the nice interiors can't make up for the other W-platform inadequacies.

Finally, one of the last pieces of Roger Smith's MAJOR F UPS is leaving GM. I have a W body and I love it, but come on..... it was a 12 year old platform when I bought it in 00. The inerior is so small for as big of a car as it is. I hold a soft spot in my heart for the W but the Zeta is welcomed and eagerly awaited.

Well said!

Gus' G.Prix is quite an example of GM durrability, even the unibody FWD stuff. :)

Hey, when you got an infection you gotta clean out the wound to heal. GM is cleaning its wounds and it will soon heal. but, there will be scares.

I've owned two W-body sedans, they are great cars. However, as much as they will be missed there will be people happy to see them go.

Yeah know, people want to see GM suceed. But then they cry like babies when old, dated, outmoded cars are dropped. Do they think the real world misses the FWD Olds 98? {It was just a generic GM FWD car with Olds gingerbread, nothing at all like the classic 98's}

Some even miss the Corsica and boxy A bodies. And I am sure there is someone in Lordstown OH who swears the Vega was the best GM car ever, but so what?

95% of car buyers do not care about the 1970's "Glory Days" of GM's Personal Luxury cars, or their late 80's and 90s' blah FWD cars. How does living in the past compete in today's car business? The new Greek Letter platform are eons better than the Alphabet soup cars. And the Zeta will make people forget about the F body.

GM is in business to make $$ and sell to paying customers, not to cater to "hobbyists", "history buffs", and "I wish I was a teenager forever" types who never like to see cars go away naturally.

Edited by Chicagoland

Look at the bright side, at least GM's W bodies will be out of production by the end of the year. The number 4 automaker in the US in January 2007, "FORD" is still producing the panthers.

Wagoner gets until Jan 2008.

Are you saying that the Impala is dead by the end of the year as well?