2008 Saturn Astra

With the 3 door GM finally has a car that will appeal to a large number of import buyers. That design is great. Too bad the initial production run will be so limited. I don't care for the 5 door. It already looks dated to me. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather see GM's corporate radio instead of what's being offered. The interior is ok but could stand improvement.

The 3 door is nice. The 5 door looks too much like a Golf/Rabbit. For small cars, automakers should really show the low-end models as well. For a small car, the base models will sell as much as the top of the line because people buy them because of the price otherwise they may move up a step.

Really glad they brought this over the pond with its beauty intact. The coupe is one of the best looking compacts in the world right now.

I'm glad they didn't integrate the GMNA radio/hvac...would have looked out of place. The European controls look alot nicer, IMO, and blend in with the interior design much better.

It appears they downsized the view screen, though. That screen looks awfully small, I hope visibility and legibility will not be a problem.

Powertrain lineup is adequate, but competent. Considering the fact they brought this baby over here is good enough for me. After reliability has been proven, I'd seriously consider plunking down for the 3-door as a fun commuter car...and not have an ounce of shame for driving a Saturn (no offense to those who do). Now how bout that VXR or the giant windshield option?

Would look so much better with a trunk. Showed this to my g/f and she said how awesome the front is, and she would buy it if it wasn't for the "stupid hatchback"

If you want a trunk, buy a Cobalt.

If I was looking to replace my Cobalt right now, I'd buy this, assuming it was priced similar to the Cobalt. I'm not sure if I'd buy the 3 or 5 door. The 5 door is not as bad as the 4 door Cobalt. I would have bought the 4 door Cobalt instead of my 2 door if the design had been better.

Would look so much better with a trunk. Showed this to my g/f and she said how awesome the front is, and she would buy it if it wasn't for the "stupid hatchback"

Strange how some people don't like hatchbacks... I would never buy a compact or subcompact like this with a trunk..that hatchback is infinitely more useful and looks better, IMHO...

I'm still waiting for one in laser blue, 5 door ,please. :thumbsup:

Maybe it's just me-or do those wheels look really big?

I should ok though- I planned on getting the XE ( or XR-I forgot which one was the lower model) anyways.

I'm guessing 17s will be standard fare...

Those are optional wheels, 7 J x 17s on the 5-door and 7½ J x 18s on the 3-door. The 18" Star-design wheels are something like $1500 for the set in Europe and both the 17 and 18" wheels use a different brake hub to the 16" wheels, adding to the cost. The standard wheels on the 5-door are 6½ J x 16s, probably the steel 5-Structure-spoke design. The 3-door does get standard 17" alloys, probably those shown on the 5-door. Edited by thegriffon

I agree, the European controls are great, and better than the alternative at GMNA. I can't say enough for how much I love this car and the interior especially, if the quality holds up this interior will be at the top of its class for me.

:withstupid:

Then there is me-I could go either way..

Same here... I love hatchbacks and I love coupes/sedans. It really depends on the styling of the vehicle itself, not whether it has a decklid or not.

Aside from the grille and some aspects of the interior, I really like this car. The Mazda 3 5-door looks better, IMO, and the 3 has the better interior but the Astra 3-door is sexy. I think it will do very well. Someone mentioned supply will be limited. Is it because of production limitations or GM doesn't want to drown the marketplace? I'm waiting for base model photos without the flashy wheels and trim. If it looks good in base trim the car will be a homerun.

Strange how some people don't like hatchbacks... I would never buy a compact or subcompact like this with a trunk..that hatchback is infinitely more useful and looks better, IMHO...

The hatchback is probably more useful on a car of this size, but even a hatch that looks like a trunk like the old Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance would be acceptable here.

As of this day I forgive Saturn for most of its past

transgressions. Between the Sky, the Outlook

& the new VUE this makes for a pretty respectable

lineup over at Saturn.

When is Honda going to combat Saturn with a Scion

like division called Uranus?

Thats definately not Arden blue . It to me looks like the Lazer blue from the Cobalt and other GM models .

I doubt we'll lucky enuff to get completely gorgeous Arden blue :(

Unofficial images courtesy of AutoBlog.

Posted Image

door sill brand plates....i haven't seen those for a while (not been in a lot of new cars)

great color!

once they put in a better stereo/hvac controls that will help alot, i bet this will be the main complaints from mags.

Thats definately not Arden blue . It to me looks like the Lazer blue from the Cobalt and other GM models .

I doubt we'll lucky enuff to get completely gorgeous Arden blue :(

Laser Blue has a purplish effect when light hits, this has a brighter blue effect almost like a more vibrant Arrival Blue.

That's all very well, but neither Laser Blue nor Arrival Blue are part of the paint palette at Opel Belgium, and Royal Blue and Ultra Blue are much darker, and Metro is a blue-gray metallic. This may not be a standard option for the Saturn Astra, but it does look like Arden Blue.

Choices offered:

10U-Casablanca White, 4DU-Royal Blue, 63U-Power Red; Metallic: 2AU-Star silver, 3KU-Moonland gray, 4AU-Light silver, 4XU-Metro; Pearlescent: 12U-Arden Blue (OPC only), 1RU-Pannacotta, 2HU-Sapphire Black, 4CU-Ultra Blue, ACU-Petrol/Peacock Green.

Vehicles assembled and painted in the Ukraine or South Africa add Pearlescent 4KU-Papyrus, Metallic 4QU-Digital Green, and 80U-Breeze Blue, and brilliant 79U Magma Red.

GM will do as Holden does and simply limit the choices to make repairs easier.

Edited by thegriffon

The interior is horrible!! With all the latest upgrades GM has done to their other cars interiors this is a downgrade. It is a typical quirky econo-european interior. I remember being in an Opel years ago and this car looks the same inside, even now! The exterior color is cool though.

Edited by RJB