MADE IN CHINA: 2009 Buick LaCrosse

Cadillacfan

Made in China

General Motors' next LaCrosse sedan is being designed right now … in China. That says a lot about GM, a lot about China, and even more about the future of creativity.

From: Issue 114 | April 2007 | Page 70 | By: Fara Warner | Photographs By: Andrew Rowat

Posted Image

Joe Qiu doesn't own a car. He doesn't even have a driver's license. His favorite vehicle, actually, is a go-kart with a top speed of 75 miles per hour. His distressed leather bomber jacket, which he rarely takes off, betrays his fascination with airplanes and all things military. His jeans, the hems unfashionably turned up, and a brushlike crewcut are pure 21st-century China. His TAG Heuer watch: a nod to the international uniform of designers.

At 31, Qiu still lives with his parents. But he spends much of his time drinking in the vibes at the expensive high-end clubs, over-the-top shopping malls, and elegant, luxurious hotels where Shanghai's burgeoning middle class gathers. "I'm just a piece of white paper," he says, collecting insights into China's skyrocketing consumer culture. He has an uncanny knack for divining Chinese tastes and whims, what it is they'll buy.Qiu is, in fact, a car designer. He works for the largest automaker in the world, General Motors (NYSE:GM), at its outpost in Shanghai's Pudong suburb. Two years ago, he was part of a team that radically overhauled the Buick LaCrosse for the Chinese market. The original LaCrosse had a soft, rounded exterior and a plain-vanilla interior, meant to appeal to the brand's aging U.S. consumers. But Qiu and his boss James Shyr, an intense, fast-talking Chinese-American who learned his trade at Nissan (NASDAQ:NSANY) and Toyota (NYSE:TM), knew Chinese consumers would sneer at such frumpy wheels. "Our buyers are 36 and 37, half the age of buyers in the U.S. and much more discerning," Shyr says.

So Qiu and a team of Chinese designers rethought and reshaped every piece of sheet metal, turning the LaCrosse into a glamorous, elegant sedan that turns heads even in fashion-conscious Shanghai. Their car features an oversized, chrome-laden front grill and large jewel-like, clear taillights to sate the bling-bling urges of China's status-conscious young buyers.

Qiu was in charge of the interior. He patterned the soft buttery-colored ambient lighting, which glows from the instrument panel and from lights hidden in the rear, after the subdued world of Shanghai's trendy clubs. "I looked at where people lived, where they hung out, and then I tried to create that same feeling inside the car," he says. The result feels like a beautifully designed living room, a sharp contrast to the hard, blocky plastic interiors so common in other Buicks. He paid close attention to the backseats, adding padding and features such as front and rear power-massaging seats.

continue reading...

Edited by Cadillacfan

Read the article, your statement couldn't be further from the truth. Just because Americans aren't the only people influencing the brand doesn't mean it's doomed. Quite the opposite.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Buick's image is so incredibly stodgy in America. Even more so than Oldsmobile or Lincoln had ever/i] been and it has forced GM to have to search globally for a Buick design that breaks that stigma. Cadillac used to be a pretty stodgy brand at the end of the 1990s...but GM turned it around, making it hip and all the while not alienating all the little old blue hairs that traditionally bought them. If American design teams can't (or won't) do that with Buick, its in a bigger heap of trouble than you're willing to admit.

Personally, I'd love to see some really cool looking Buicks out there and I don't want to see the brand whither like it has been. The Lacrosse and Lucerne are NOT bad looking cars in my eyes, but to the majority of the population they're still Fogeymobiles.

Edited by AxelTheRed

The current Chinese Buick LaCrosse in a word is beautiful, it's a shame Ed Welburn didn't let the Chinese have total design control of the exterior of the 2009 LaCrosse as well. The current Chinese version outclasses the current North American version in exterior and interior design.

You be the judge!

Current North American Version

Posted Image

Current Chinese Version

Posted Image

Current North American Version

Posted Image

Current Chinese Version

Posted Image

Current North American Version Interior

Posted Image

Current Chinese Version Interior

Posted Image

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I'm not a fan of either LaCrosse style. The Chinese version taking a much more hyundia and kia-esque approach to styling (a little bit of this company here, a little bit of that company there... and we'll call it unique styling). The new LaCrosse needs to go the direction of the Enclave and I think that's a universal agreement on most peoples part. Attempting a totally different style will leave Buick with even less identity than what Saturn, Pontiac, Chevy, and Cadillac left it with after their "all-innovations-go-through-us", "all-sport-and-sport-style-goes-through-us", "everything-is-about-us", "all-luxury-with-sport-goes-through-us" attitudes crystallized. With the Enclave Buick found the proper nitch to sell GM vehicles between the Pontiac/Saturn/Chevy and Caddy gap. It brought style back down to a semi-affordable price... if the rest of the vehicles are styled similar to the LaCrosse there will be no solid perception of Buick anymore because there is no unique quality in either LaCrosse, however the Chinese LaCrosse screams mix-n-match style.

Interior on the chinese version looks nicer, but the exterior certainly does not "outclass" the American Buick and the chinese nose is far more dated.

Captainbooyah: >>"I'm sure the results will be nothing but excellent."<<

Why- what from experience has ever reinforced that theory for you ??

Buick's image is so incredibly stodgy in America. Even more so than Oldsmobile or Lincoln had ever/i] been and it has forced GM to have to search globally for a Buick design that breaks that stigma. Cadillac used to be a pretty stodgy brand at the end of the 1990s...but GM turned it around, making it hip and all the while not alienating all the little old blue hairs that traditionally bought them. If American design teams can't (or won't) do that with Buick, its in a bigger heap of trouble than you're willing to admit.

Personally, I'd love to see some really cool looking Buicks out there and I don't want to see the brand whither like it has been. The Lacrosse and Lucerne are NOT bad looking cars in my eyes, but to the majority of the population they're still Fogeymobiles.

Again, Read the article. New Buicks, such as the LaCrosse are being designed by Americans... as well as Chinese. The interior will be designed by the Chinese team and the exterior will be designed by the American team with some input from the Shanghi design center. Nowhere does it say that Americans aren't involved in the designed process. Maybe the title threw you off. Not my fault.. that's the title Fast Company used for this article. GM is selling more buicks in China then in America (its main market) Why wouldn't they let the Chinese have some say in how the brand progresses globally. They've proven themselves, don't discredit them before they are even given a chance.

Coming from a fellow Italian, I am shocked, dismayed and hurt to the core of my soul! :smilewide:

It's nothing people haven't said to me before. Hell, my students make fun of me because my chest hair sticks out the top of my shirt if I'm not wearing a tie.

Again, Read the article. New Buicks, such as the LaCrosse are being designed by Americans... as well as Chinese. The interior will be designed by the Chinese team and the exterior will be designed by the American team with some input from the Shanghi design center. Nowhere does it say that Americans aren't involved in the designed process. Maybe the title threw you off. Not my fault.. that's the title Fast Company used for this article. GM is selling more buicks in China then in America (its main market) Why wouldn't they let the Chinese have some say in how the brand progresses globally. They've proven themselves, don't discredit them before they are even given a chance.

Makes sense. The Chinese LaCrosse and SLS have far better interiors than their US counterparts. And let us do our own awesome exteriors.

On the Chinese LaCrosse: I'd like to see the rear end adhere to tradition more, like the Lucerne. It needs horizontal taillamps and portholes. And someone said the front looks like a Sable, I agree with that. The interior is a knockout, and I like the squarer front fenders and the greenhouse. You can tell it's a W-body in the windshield/A-pillar area, and the roof ditch moldings.

I'm not a fan of either LaCrosse style. The Chinese version taking a much more hyundia and kia-esque approach to styling (a little bit of this company here, a little bit of that company there... and we'll call it unique styling).

As opposed to the Jaguar/Taurus bastard-child that is the NA Lacrosse? It's not bad, but the Chinese Lacrosse IMO is much more in tune with current design trends, and even if parts of the styling are derivative it has a much more striking appearance.

I thought Buick in its heyday was supposed to be about big, bold style? The Chinese Lacrosse is the bolder, IMO, of the two designs. It's not perfect, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. I hope the NG sedan will take it a step further.

-RBB

>>"Why wouldn't they let the Chinese have some say in how the brand progresses globally. They've proven themselves, don't discredit them before they are even given a chance."<<

Again, when was this exactly?

If you read the article, then you'd find out. They had a design competition with the other design centers, I'd say that it means they've proven themselves.

Winning a design contest is a far cry from designing a brand-rejuvenating vehicle, which is what Buick needs and what the chinese Buick CLEARLY is not. IMO it proves nothing.

And considering the other automotive design efforts we've seen from China, I would without hesitation say they've disproven themselves.

I think its possible that the Chinese have a better idea of what a Buick should be than most Americans who'd rather just split their time making jokes about Depends and ignoring the brand completely.

Exactly.

Of course I still have a problem with these guys who stole my job (outsourcing don't cha know), now stealing the styling gig!

I think its possible that the Chinese have a better idea of what a Buick should be than most Americans who'd rather just split their time making jokes about Depends and ignoring the brand completely.

I've never been overwhelmed by either the NA or the Chinese Lacrosse's, so this comment is DEAD on key. Here, whether it's a design team or the general public, no one can seem to get past the image of Buick as stodgy, even with new and great products, while China on the contrary can. So I'm all for letting them in on as much as possible, and seeing what they can do--especially since Buick has a completely different, and much fresher and even upscale persona over there.

Well, I would never say as someone did before, that Chinese can develop a better interior than the domestics because the 2008 Malibu and CTS are examples that we still know what we're doing.

I'm not totally impressed with the Chinese LaX, and if the Enclave's styling shows where Buick is going, I think that NA would have done fine with the 2009 LaX without the Chinese. The fact that it is going to be a global car, they should be involved.

Ok, all this guy is, is a grown up kid that loves driving go-karts and want's to be COOL (bomber jacket 24-7 and those "sweet" pants.) THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT NEED TO DESIGN THE FUTURE OF GM! I don't care if they come from China, USA, Brazil, Poland, etc.., these people love LIFE and FUN! You know this guy is going to look past the "numbers" and design the car with the only standard of his being FUN and COOL. I see nothing with this guy designing a key GM product.

The Chinese had the template for the existing Lacrosse, and they were given approval to improve on the design. They weren't given a clean sheet, so what you see from the Chinese LAX is already a compromised car, especially because it has to contend with GM's parts bin legacy and the W-body proportions. It's a good looking car, a lot more contemporary than the 1980's car we have and the interior is a lot better done too.

You know what I don't like? And I'm just throwing it in here since I've seen both LaCrosse's with similar features...

... I don't like the steering wheels, and I don't like that they removed certain buttons from them. I loved the fact that the climate control buttons were on the 2005/6 LaCrosse's steering wheel. Don't like that those are gone. I like to be able to control a few things from the wheel--to me, I like to keep my hands up there as much as possible.

I'm sorry, but as an American, I take offense at this story. No offense intended to the Chinese Designers - but they have a completely different perspective and "design art" than what is expected and acceptable here in the US. This gent Joe Qiu has no connection to the US public whatsoever. I'm sorry, but from the article - he'll have to "design down" to the "less descerning" public in America...I wouldn't want him to "dumb down" his art. He supposedly went to all the chic nightclubs, all the hip and trendy places in China to design the Chinese version of the LaCrosse....and what did he come up with ? A Chinese version of the old Sable with Altima taillights (I agree with the previous postings about this...). Again he has no connection to the American type of mentality in what we want....for crying out loud, he's 31 and still lives with his parents....a far cry from the typical "proud of it" independent American. No - design needs to be done in the region where the vehicle is going to be sold. I think the exception to the rule that breaks the barrier (...but I think is an anomoly..) is the Euro Saturns. Those are hot, stylish, and will definatly be the break-out that Saturn and GM needs. The Enclave is hot style-wise from all pre-production accounts from the public...the next LaCrosse needs to have that type of styling theme...not cookie cutter - but I think the choppers on here have it down pat...congrats guys...MR LUTZ - TAKE NOTE OF THOSE DESIGNS !!!!! If GM does it right with the next LaCrosse - it WOULD make sense to make the changes for just 1 or 2 years..setting up the next LaCrosse on the other platforms (???) to be the very hot desireable car AND THE NEXT BREAKOUT that again GM needs. Don't do this in the name of Globalization and dilute the design direction that the choppers here show, as well as the direction the Enclave is logically heading Buick in. Caddy did it with their new design direction - Buick can do it to. Draw on the history of the '63-'65 Rivs, the '66-'68 Wildcats, the 60's-70's Skylark, the '80s Regals...THAT history shows ya can do class with engine heat WITH SUCCESS :pbjtime:

That design may work in China..but it won't here. Truthfully - I think Mr. Lutz should hire some of the "choppers" that posted in the LaCrosse chop contest, as well as the posted Century chop. THEY are pertinent to the American public. Those designs are sporty, and a logical "next step" evolution from the current LaCrosse.

Global design just plain doesn't work. Fashion (of any kind - whether it be clothes, furniture, OR CARS...) isn't universal. Cultures are too diverse and have different opinions of what's hot. Come on...I'm not talking about anything that isn't anything other than just plain common sense. This "globalization" is being pushed just too far and beyond common sense....and it does nothing but hurt the US (don't even get me talking about NAFTA !!!! )....yeah, right, lets ship SOME MORE jobs out of the US. :banghead:

Now I've driven the current model, and my folks own an '06 model....and while it's a base model - it's still a great car. Now if you would dress it up with 20" older BMW style spoked black rims, add some body tightening to straighten out the curves visa vie better suspension, add a chin spoiler, maybe do something in the back, and pull in some turbo hairdryer to the 3.8 L pushrod cranker - you'd have something very cool and that would pull some G's in a straight line and swizzle stick you around the corners too !!!

GM AND MR. LUTZ - GET SOME TESTOSTERONE AND MAKE THE LACROSSE THE NEXT SKYLARK GS STAGE I (at least make one version of it hot and high HP and very attractive to the younger buyers....). I think ya need to keep the base models a bit more hip and outfitted better with better rims and accents - and don't sell it any lesser. Its those base model that are the majority of the sellers that are hurting the cars image - not the design itself (..geez, but if you did THAT...you wouldn't sell as many...but you sell that many because folk like it...what a corrundum ?!?)

Ok...through venting for the time being.... :hissyfit:

I'm sorry, but as an American, I take offense at this story. No offense intended to the Chinese Designers - but they have a completely different perspective and "design art" than what is expected and acceptable here in the US. This gent Joe Qiu has no connection to the US public whatsoever. I'm sorry, but from the article - he'll have to "design down" to the "less descerning" public in America...I wouldn't want him to "dumb down" his art. He supposedly went to all the chic nightclubs, all the hip and trendy places in China to design the Chinese version of the LaCrosse....and what did he come up with ? A Chinese version of the old Sable with Altima taillights (I agree with the previous postings about this...). Again he has no connection to the American type of mentality in what we want....for crying out loud, he's 31 and still lives with his parents....a far cry from the typical "proud of it" independent American. No - design needs to be done in the region where the vehicle is going to be sold. I think the exception to the rule that breaks the barrier (...but I think is an anomoly..) is the Euro Saturns. Those are hot, stylish, and will definatly be the break-out that Saturn and GM needs. The Enclave is hot style-wise from all pre-production accounts from the public...the next LaCrosse needs to have that type of styling theme...not cookie cutter - but I think the choppers on here have it down pat...congrats guys...MR LUTZ - TAKE NOTE OF THOSE DESIGNS !!!!! If GM does it right with the next LaCrosse - it WOULD make sense to make the changes for just 1 or 2 years..setting up the next LaCrosse on the other platforms (???) to be the very hot desireable car AND THE NEXT BREAKOUT that again GM needs. Don't do this in the name of Globalization and dilute the design direction that the choppers here show, as well as the direction the Enclave is logically heading Buick in. Caddy did it with their new design direction - Buick can do it to. Draw on the history of the '63-'65 Rivs, the '66-'68 Wildcats, the 60's-70's Skylark, the '80s Regals...THAT history shows ya can do class with engine heat WITH SUCCESS :pbjtime:

That design may work in China..but it won't here. Truthfully - I think Mr. Lutz should hire some of the "choppers" that posted in the LaCrosse chop contest, as well as the posted Century chop. THEY are pertinent to the American public. Those designs are sporty, and a logical "next step" evolution from the current LaCrosse.

Global design just plain doesn't work. Fashion (of any kind - whether it be clothes, furniture, OR CARS...) isn't universal. Cultures are too diverse and have different opinions of what's hot. Come on...I'm not talking about anything that isn't anything other than just plain common sense. This "globalization" is being pushed just too far and beyond common sense....and it does nothing but hurt the US (don't even get me talking about NAFTA !!!! )....yeah, right, lets ship SOME MORE jobs out of the US. :banghead:

Now I've driven the current model, and my folks own an '06 model....and while it's a base model - it's still a great car. Now if you would dress it up with 20" older BMW style spoked black rims, add some body tightening to straighten out the curves visa vie better suspension, add a chin spoiler, maybe do something in the back, and pull in some turbo hairdryer to the 3.8 L pushrod cranker - you'd have something very cool and that would pull some G's in a straight line and swizzle stick you around the corners too !!!

GM AND MR. LUTZ - GET SOME TESTOSTERONE AND MAKE THE LACROSSE THE NEXT SKYLARK GS STAGE I (at least make one version of it hot and high HP and very attractive to the younger buyers....). I think ya need to keep the base models a bit more hip and outfitted better with better rims and accents - and don't sell it any lesser. Its those base model that are the majority of the sellers that are hurting the cars image - not the design itself (..geez, but if you did THAT...you wouldn't sell as many...but you sell that many because folk like it...what a corrundum ?!?)

Ok...through venting for the time being.... :hissyfit:

China, believe it or not, is becoming increasingly westernized(specifically... Americanized). With almost every company pushing in there to meet the demands of millions of wealthy and style-conscious Chinese individuals.. they are quickly becoming the trend setters of the world.

Remember though, the next LaCrosse is being designed by American designers in Michigan while the interior is being left to the Chinese, who had a better grasp at what GM is trying to accomplish with the brand. Even with the Chinese team designing the vehicle, they are under the guidance of an American of chinese descent. He handpicked designers from all across China who had the right chops. They aren't some average blokes pulled off the street. They are as qualified as the US teams.

I'm sorry, but as an American, I take offense at this story. No offense intended to the Chinese Designers - but they have a completely different perspective and "design art" than what is expected and acceptable here in the US. This gent Joe Qiu has no connection to the US public whatsoever. I'm sorry, but from the article - he'll have to "design down" to the "less descerning" public in America...I wouldn't want him to "dumb down" his art.

I see your point....definitely. Members of my family have Buicks ranging from a 1938 model to a 1969 Skylark GS (I think). GREAT, beautiful cars.

BUT, in China, the Buick nameplate has an appeal that dates back to Buick's gilded era of the early 20th century. Being seen in a Buick is something "young and hip" people WANT!! This is what we want to recapture in the US if Buick is to survive, or even if it has a reason to survive at all in the US.

In the eyes of the general North American population (who, mostly, are not GM fans), a Buick is a Chevy with slightly-less gaudy chrome rims and GIANT CHARACTERS on the radio buttons/displays so that 86-year-olds can read them.

The nameplate has been absolutely, criminally trashed on this continent. Let's see if some people who revere the brand can help us rejuvenate it.

Thank you for that post. We have to remember the main reason why GM went to China in the first place. Not only do they have their fingers on the pulse of the future of the automobile industry, they love Buick just as much as the enthusiasts on this board do. They're not going to change it into some kind of Toyota, Hyundai wanabe. They love using large amounts of chrome and wood and classic design. All the things that made buick famous in the first place.

They may not be the greatest at designing their own brands, but they do a heck of a job fixing the ones that the rest of the world neglect. Look at the future of MG. The new vehicles that will be built in the US look pretty hot considering that they're no longer under the control of the Brits.

Edited by Cadillacfan

I see your point....definitely. Members of my family have Buicks ranging from a 1938 model to a 1969 Skylark GS (I think). GREAT, beautiful cars.

BUT, in China, the Buick nameplate has an appeal that dates back to Buick's gilded era of the early 20th century. Being seen in a Buick is something "young and hip" people WANT!! This is what we want to recapture in the US if Buick is to survive, or even if it has a reason to survive at all in the US.

In the eyes of the general North American population (who, mostly, are not GM fans), a Buick is a Chevy with slightly-less gaudy chrome rims and GIANT CHARACTERS on the radio buttons/displays so that 86-year-olds can read them.

The nameplate has been absolutely, criminally trashed on this continent. Let's see if some people who revere the brand can help us rejuvenate it.

and those are the ones who can think ahead instead of being shortsighted, being afraid of taking a good risk, and paying too much attention to focus groups. For the next lacrosse how about they rent a bentley, or a austin martin and put it in the studio and use it for a inspiration. The result would probably be good, if you take a look at the 64 riviera .

• 2 weeks later...

As for the two current LaCrosses, pick your pleasure: the Taurus version or the Sable version.

Good! That's a good analogy. The Chinese LaCrosse looks like a Sable up front and like an Altima from the rear. I like the American version that is coming up next MY better, though I would have held back on making the grille THAT bold.

As for the interior, the Chinese interior is nicer IMO. I like the center stack more. Furthermore, if that's in-dash ignition I see, I like it all the more.

So, it's a split decision.

So Americans still can't design good interiors and now it's the bloody Chinese who are better at it than us? WTF?!

Maybe it's that GM's NA designers have been constrained by bean counters for too long...i.e. make it cheap, average and bland so it will sell to Avis. GM NA has been hurt by 20+ years of cheap, plastic ugly interiors..