Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrewSwillis

SNL Totally rips domestic auto industry

50 posts in this topic

I usually watch SNL (because there is nothing else on at the time), but didn't catch it this past weekend....and apparently missed a total undeserved thrashing of the American auto industry. It was full of all of the stupid misinformed opinions that have lead over half of the country to buy foreign cars. View this clip for yourself, and see if you think the portrayal of the Big 3 was "fair":

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/snl-tak...roit-3-bailout/

Unfortunately, people seem to believe everything they see on SNL....I mean, just look at the election......and SNL is using it's time to promote it's Detroit-hating OPINIONS as "FACTS" on a national stage for millions of people. Please join me in emailing them hate-mail to: snl@nbc.com , and boycotting them until they offer an apology for the spreading of misinformation about American car quality, and even safety. They just said in the skit that the Big 3 need to build safer cars (implying that they do not already, but that foreign automakers do), while the latest list of IIHS Top Safety Picks gives top honors to Ford and Volvo, with GM in 4th place tying Toyota.

And Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move to the correct one. Thank you!

Edited by BrewSwillis

Despicable. Where's the skit about the Tacomas braking in half, or the $20 billion Congress just gave to Citigroup no questions asked? Or the rest of that $700 billion bailout that was handed over to the assholes who causes the financial meltdown in the first place? (they may have done that skit, I dunno)

:angry:

Shoot, I thought those bitches would continue to fall lockstep in behind Obama, just as they did before the election. They're stupid. Except for very brief moments, SNL has not been funny since the days of Belushi, Aykroid, Curtin, et al.

You know it's funny to make fun of politicians, because in reality they are all the same, however it's quite another story when millions of North Americans may lose their jobs over this.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I haven't watched SNL in about a decade. Their attempts at humor are often painful. I wouldn't get overly upset about their trashing of Detroit: we know that it is both that particular age group and Hollywood in general that are the result of the me-first generation. They are 'entitled'

to drive their Lexus and Acuras, as we are entitled to watch BBC sitcoms which are far more intelligent and cutting edge.

You know it's funny to make fun of politicians, because in reality they are all the same, however it's quite another story when millions of North Americans may lose their jobs over this.

Ya, it's not really a humor topic, IMHO. Of course, the demographic that watches SNL today (20-somethings) mostly drive Hondas, VWs and Toyotas, so most of them probably couldn't care less about the Big 3.

Moved to GM news, because I want it seen by non-members and I want to link it on the front page.

This is absolutely appalling, and exactly the kind of self-loathing humor that got us where we are now.

I thought it was funny, especially the chart with dates and amounts of money they wanted and how no one watches C-span. Fred Armesen's Barney Frank was good too, better than his Obama. Detroit needs to learn to take a joke if they are offended. If the Detroit 3 didn't lose $100 billion over the past 5 years, and the CEOs didn't look like fools on the first trip they went to Congress SNL wouldn't have had anything to use on them.

Edited by smk4565

Despicable. Where's the skit about the Tacomas braking in half, or the $20 billion Congress just gave to Citigroup no questions asked? Or the rest of that $700 billion bailout that was handed over to the assholes who causes the financial meltdown in the first place? (they may have done that skit, I dunno)

:angry:

There was a skit from October that was banned because it struck the wrong nerve with George Soros.

http://www.narbosa.com/2008/10/saturday-ni...soros-skit.html

More detailed explanation here:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/myst...-version-today/

Edited by longtooth

Unfortunatly, GM's death with be from the media, not the economy or lack of bailout.

If GM dies (which it won't) it is no one's fault but their own.

They're stupid. Except for very brief moments, SNL has not been funny since the days of Belushi, Aykroid, Curtin, et al.

yeap, the best SNL con only be found on box sets.

They are 'entitled' to drive their Lexus and Acuras, as we are entitled to watch BBC sitcoms which are far more intelligent and cutting edge.

+1

I thought it was funny, especially the chart with dates and amounts of money they wanted and how no one watches C-span. Fred Armesen's Barney Frank was good too, better than his Obama. Detroit needs to learn to take a joke if they are offended. If the Detroit 3 didn't lose $100 billion over the past 5 years, and the CEOs didn't look like fools on the first trip they went to Congress SNL wouldn't have had anything to use on them.

dude its hard to take a joke when your livelyhood is the punch line. and i could care less what the "writers" or those "comedians" think about real world stuff after the little strike they had people should be making fun of them for being so pretentious. i'll venture to say that neither party has had a credible contributing job to society since they were in high school.

I usually watch SNL (because there is nothing else on at the time), but didn't catch it this past weekend....and apparently missed a total undeserved thrashing of the American auto industry. It was full of all of the stupid misinformed opinions that have lead over half of the country to buy foreign cars....Unfortunately, people seem to believe everything they see on SNL....I mean, just look at the election....

Oh, get a sense of humor. First, Obama was going to win with or without SNL. Second, the Big3 skit was SO over the top that only people with blinders on wouldn't get the joke.

The biggest problem with the skit was that it went on too long. Put the three execs in a car and drive them to Washington...good joke. On-going loans...good joke, but a little too close to the truth.

There's so much discussion on threads around here about the overwhelming conservative nature of the posters and how politically-correct speak has gone overboard, but then someone pokes fun at the Big3 and everyone's up in arms! If it weren't a funny skit, that's one thing...but poking fun at the Big3, especially their executives, is not taboo.

Shoot, I thought those bitches would continue to fall lockstep in behind Obama, just as they did before the election. They're stupid. Except for very brief moments, SNL has not been funny since the days of Belushi, Aykroid, Curtin, et al.

very brief moments..? will ferrel or.. oh what's his name.. was on news radio.. phil hartman. but I've nver been a big fan of snl.

some things were funny... those were the parts that were not factual, but the skit was pretty bad overall

I sent my flame mail in a form of stating the facts and scolding them for their poor research on the topic before they just rip millions of Hard Working Americans for the job they have done.

I sent my flame mail in a form of stating the facts and scolding them for their poor research on the topic before they just rip millions of Hard Working Americans for the job they have done.

SNL wasn't ripping millions of hard working Americans, they were ripping 3 CEOs that make $15 million+ a year to run failed businesses and showed up in front of Congress looking for a loan without a business plan.

Unfortunately, people seem to believe everything they see on SNL

LoL :lol:

Get real, please. No one goes to SNL looking news/facts. OMG you mean "Night School Musical" or "Tylenol BM" don't really exist?!? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad isn't gay for Andy Samberg?!?! NO WAY!

:rolleyes:

SNL wasn't ripping millions of hard working Americans, they were ripping 3 CEOs that make $15 million+ a year to run failed businesses and showed up in front of Congress looking for a loan without a business plan.

While I do think the skit should be taken as a joke, the statements of the cars falling apart & catching on fire would be insulting to the men & women who (generally) work very hard to build quality cars. The skit makes fun of many people/organizations, not just the CEOs.

I clicked out early not because it was offensive, but because it was pretty predictable, and unfunny...

Pretty much like anything on SNL.

Guys... you're taking this too personally.

It's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT and MADE UP.

You're supposed to watch this when you're braindead from work, not watching it and thinking what on earth they said afterwards.

I clicked out early not because it was offensive, but because it was pretty predictable, and unfunny...

Pretty much like anything on SNL.

+1

Guys... you're taking this too personally.

It's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT and MADE UP.

You're supposed to watch this when you're braindead from work, not watching it and thinking what on earth they said afterwards.

The trouble is, not all of us are braindead!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0