Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How long have you had your...

...vehicle(s)?

Just curious....

Statistics for my current family:

1972 Monte Carlo = almost 5 years (bought March 2002) ... driven over 7K miles since purchased

1976 Monte Carlo Landau = 8 years (bought December 1998) ... driven over 16K miles since purchased

1979 Monte Carlo Landau = just over 14 years (bought October 1992) ... driven over 35K miles since purchased

1981 Monte Carlo SC = 7 years (bought from parents December 1999) ... driven over 7K miles since purchased

1987 Monte Carlo LS = about 3.5 years (bought July 2003) ... driven over 40K miles since purchased

Statistics for my former family members:

1988 Monte Carlo LS ... almost 4 years (purchased December 1993, sold January 1997)

1997 malibu ... about 2 years (purchased late 1997, replaced late 1999)

2000 monte carlo ... about 4 years (purchased late 1999, totaled June 2003)

So, how about you?

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MCinfo.hobbies.RTs.pics.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We go through life so sure of where we're headed" ... Brad Paisley ... 'Find Yourself'

Edited by knightfan26917

1964 Oldsmobile Super 88: EXACTLY 6 months as of today.

1984 Datsun Maxima: Just about 1.5 years.

1997 Caillac STS: Just over 4 years. (Please buy it! $1300 o.b.o.)

1997 Infiniti Q45: Since April of 2006, about 8 months.

1988 Chevy V3500(K30) Crew cab since '96 (I think) has about 80k on it.

1985 Maserati Biturbo since '97 had 39k at purchase and just shy of 41k now

1979 Jaguar XJ6L since '97 70k at purchase, no miles added,garage monster.

2002 Firehawk took delivery 11/26/02 (actually took paper delivery much earlier) had ~200 miles on it(from dealer trade and SLP testing) now has ~4,700

2005 Silverado HD since August 2004 about 6 miles at purchase, about 27K now.

2004 GTO since December 2004, about 4 miles at purchase and ~ 7k now.

1979 Monte Carlo Landau = just over 14 years (bought October 1992) ... driven over 35K miles since purchased

226192[/snapback]

I honestly do not know if I will ever keep a car that long.

Sems like the Tight Whips tradition is to change 'em like

underwear... I remember when we went to pick up XP's

'71 Cadillac and he said "this is the one... I'm keeping

this one for a LONG time..." and three month later he's

flipping it for a '67 Razorback.

Give it about 4 more months and I'll have a 1959 Buick

or perhaps some 1930s Pontiac or Buick.

'67 Dodge Polara - had that one for a year back in '79/'80

'82 Dodge Rampage - had that for 4 years

'87 Dodge Shadow ES - leased (thank God!) and dumped at the end

'91 Caprice wagon - 6 years 150k miles, then wiped out on black ice

'98 Blazer 4WD - 3 years, lease up

currently - whatever the boss gives me

wha.. you ditched your camaro NOS?

226237[/snapback]

I wouldn't say "ditched." It's up for sale though I'm pretty sure my buddy's going to buy it as soon as his brother comes home in a couple weeks to co-sign on a loan. I picked up a Rally Yellow 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe a few weeks ago. It's now got 520 miles on it.

Sems like the Tight Whips tradition is to change 'em like

underwear... I remember when we went to pick up XP's

'71 Cadillac and he said "this is the one... I'm keeping

this one for a LONG time..." and three month later he's

flipping it for a '67 Razorback.

226394[/snapback]

You're absolutely right, and you can't tell me you wouldn't have done the exact same thing in my position! Especially since I found out recently that the very first ride the '71 Coupe took under new ownership ended in the tail shaft in the transmission breaking! However, the Eldorado really IS gonna be the one to stay in the permanent collection unless it can somehow be rolled into getting the '32 Packard Light Eight coupe-roadster or 1907/1908 American Underslung Gentleman's Roadster I've always wanted. Maybe even the big orange Brewster-bodied 1915 Crane-Simplex roadster that's been keeping me up nights since I saw it when I was twelve :lol:

Edited by XP715

02 Impala since September of 04. Started with 55000 and closing in on 100000

03 Suburban since March 06. Started with around 80000, now have 87000. I only use it when I need it to pull something around or haul around some friends, but may start using it a little more once winter is in full swing.

I can't believe I've had the Crew cab,Maserati and Jag as long as I have.

226498[/snapback]

Definitely good to hold onto an Italian car from the mid-80's that looks like a Toyota Corolla from the early 80's and a dolled-up late 70's British Ford in 800 million labeled in Cyrillic pieces. Meanwhile you're putting most of your energy into sending the two most significant Firehawks ever made down the road and can't see that it's a blessing in disguise that nobody's biting. Keep the Hawks and sell the rest. I'd be willing to bet they'd be worth much more than another lame-ass C4 with a fancy engine will in a couple decades. Why not keep what's really special and unique (with so much documentation and unique extras!) instead of going after the really expensive version of the official vehicle of the midlife crisis? No offense, dude, but I wouldn't even talk about a ZR1 unless it was gonna be sharing garage space with a certain pair of Pontiacs you're so incredibly lucky to own. :yes:

Edited by XP715

XP is harsh but I have to say he makes a good point.

Wow Knightfan, you sure keep some low miles on your Montes. :)

I've had the '94 Lumina since July '03, so almost going on 3 years and 5 months.

My old 1990 Lumina was bought in 1992...my mom drove it for about 2 years, then my dad until I turned 15, then me, then my sister...we sold it in 2005 when my sister got the Monte Carlo, so 13 years for that one.

My dad has owned his 1968 Corvette since 1976 and his 1978 Corvette since the early 80s, so almost 30 years for both.

'74 Lincoln Continental Limousine "adopted" on November 6th, 2006  :lol:

Speaking of "adopted", did you ever get my PM about those Caddy limos in southern IL?

I honestly do not know if I will ever keep a car that long.

I didn't think I would either ... but, the current family will NOT be going anywhere, if I can help it ;).

Wow Knightfan, you sure keep some low miles on your Montes.

*chuckles*

Part of that is because I drive all of 'em ... so, not one of 'em gets all the miles ... except, of course, for the '87 MC LS. With the new job doubling my commute time, it'll start racking up miles a bit quicker.....

"Walk right out into a brand new day" ... Everclear ... 'Santa Monica'

2006 HHR - July 2006 - 16,000 miles

1999 Suburban - November 2006 - 93,000 miles

1991 Suburban - September 2006 - 115,000 miles (for sale)

I've never owned a car longer than 2 years. Heck we didn't even keep our Cobalt an entire year before I traded it in on the HHR. We never have issues with our GM vehicles, I just like getting new ones on a regular basis.

1981 Chevrolet Caprice. V6. 2-door. Bought with 116,000 miles in December of 1993. Gave to my sister in June 1995 with 134,000 when I got the next car

1979 Chevrolet Impala. 305 V8. 4-door. Bought June 26th 1995 from a neighbor whos mother had to go in a nursing home. It was the mothers car and it only had 68,500 miles.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. 307 V8. 4-door. Bought in October of 1998 to go with the Impala from my grandmother. It needed transmission work and she didnt want to spend any more money on it. She took that as the time to get something brand new. It had 75,000 miles on it. I still have it now with 113,000 miles on it and the only rust is one area where you dont really see it. I never drive it on snow or bad weather. That was what the 1979 was for until.....................................

July 1st 2001 I was in to the dealer to get a part for the 1979 when I started looking at 4 2000 Monte Carlos that were off program rental status. The next day my dad and I went to take one for a test drive. I wanted the black one but it was nowhere to be found. I instead took the grey one out. I showed different people and they all convinced me that the grey one was a better color as far as keeping it clean here in the winter. July 6th 2001 I took delivery of it with 28,600 miles. My first modern car. I never regreted getting it. Sold the 1979 The next day with 145,000 miles.

March 2005. The Monte Carlo is now getting close to 60,000 miles. The Chicago auto show had given me the itch to look for something different. plus the 2-door body style of the Monte Carlo was starting become a liability since I drive my parents around more. I did look at a Malibu Maxx but found I could get a nice lease deal on an Equinox so I though Why not step up a bit. March 17th 2005 Took delivery of it with 231 miles on it with a 4 year lease with 12,000 miles. As of today it has just over 13,200 miles. I have had a few problems with it but I like it. Next time may be the same thing or maybe a HHR.

Sorry to get detailed like this but sometimes I do that.

Sometimes I wish I could have kept the 1979. I liked it a lot. But no place to put it.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

March 2005. The Monte Carlo is now getting close to 60,000 miles.

226664[/snapback]

Has it been a good car, though (I am assuming 3400 V6)? Damn, every one I've had as a rental with that engine SIPS fuel? It's not a bad looking car, really. It's the only one with that styling bent that's left for mid-size personal luxury coupe buyers.

I've never owned a car longer than 2 years.  Heck we didn't even keep our Cobalt an entire year before I traded it in on the HHR.  We never have issues with our GM vehicles, I just like getting new ones on a regular basis.

Just curious ... do you actually buy or just lease?

"I am tempted to keep the car in drive and leave it all behind" ... John Mayer ... 'Why Georgia Why'

Has it been a good car, though (I am assuming 3400 V6)?  Damn, every one I've had as a rental with that engine SIPS fuel?  It's not a bad looking car, really.  It's the only one with that styling bent that's left for mid-size personal luxury coupe buyers.

226665[/snapback]

It was a pretty good car. I put 2 EGR valves,a blower motor and the intake manifold gasket in it in the time I had it. It was very good on gas. That is the one thing I did give up a bit with the Equinox never mind it has the same area. It was just getting to where it wasnt practical like it was in the beginning.

• 6 years later...

Hah, I still haven't owned a car that I've driven for more than 2 years. Owned and not driven is another story, but that doesn't count.

So far...

Avalon - 1 year, 5 months - 28k mi.

Legacy - 1 year, 2 months - 30k mi.

CRX - 2 years, 3 months - 10k mi. (Driven for total of 6 months)

Golf - 1 year, 7 months - 20k mi. (Driven for total of 1 year)

Cobalt - 1 year, 3 months - 32k mi.

Jetta - 3 years, exactly - 14k mi. (Driven for total of 7 months)

Cutlass - 1 yeah, 9 months - 8k mi. (Driven for total of 9 months)

Millenia - 4 years, 3 months - 15k mi. (Driven for total of 1 year)

Grand Am - 2 years, 6 months - 3k mi. (Driven for total of 3 months)

'94 Prelude - bought 10/97 with 20,000 miles, now has 107,000 miles

'01 IS300 - bought new 6/00, now with 32,000 miles

'05 Silverado - bought new 10/04, now with 4,000 miles

I haven't bought a new vehicle in the last 7 years. My mileage for the above vehicles is 139,000 for the Prelude, 56,000 for the Lexus, and 30,000 for the Silverado.

2013 Buick Encore - 2 months tomorrow, 2,000 miles

2004 Honda CR-V - 10 years 1 month, 102,000 miles (Albert bought it new, but I've only had him 6 years next week)

1981 Oldsmobile Toronado - 3 years 3 months, About 14,000 miles with me