Cadillac SLS from China

Northstar

First the Chinese LaCrosse, now this (the interior is great!):

Cadillac showcases new SLS at Auto China 2006

Detroit -The General Motors China Group recently reported another sales record for the first nine months of 2006 (645,680 vehicles). These record sales are driven by Buick (+ 27.8 percent), Chevrolet (+51.0 percent), Cadillac (+27.1 percent) and Wuling (+38.7 percent), China's number one brand of mini-vehicles. At "Auto China 2006", this year's international motor show in Beijing, Shanghai GM is showcasing new models such as the Cadillac SLS and Escalade. In addition, an important new offering from the Wuling brand is to be premiered. Furthermore, GM concept cars such as the Saab Aero-X, Buick Enclave and Chevrolet WTCC Ultra will make their public debuts in China.

GM's luxury brand, Cadillac has enjoyed remarkable success since its introduction to the China luxury market in 2004. The Cadillac China portfolio, consisting of the CTS sedan, the XLR roadster and the SRX crossover, will now be complimented with the all-new SLS and the Escalade SUV. Based on the STS sport sedan, the SLS has been lengthened by 100mm to add rear seat legroom. The interior is designed to meet specific local needs in this primarily chauffeur-driven luxury segment. Three engine options will be available which include the 2.8L V6, a 3.6L V6 and the top-level Northstar 4.6L V8 with 239kW/320hp. The new SLS will be built at the Shanghai GM plant for the Chinese market.

"The Cadillac SLS is a very important addition to our line-up in China as it meets very specific market needs," said Jim Taylor, general manager of Cadillac. "Cadillac reacts to country specific requirements and is proud to offer the SLS to Chinese luxury customers who demand extra space in the rear and other features." Earlier this year, Cadillac introduced the new BLS sedan in Europe and other international markets to satisfy the need for a smaller Cadillac model and a turbodiesel engine option.

"The Cadillac SLS is a strategic addition for the Cadillac brand in China, which will enable Cadillac to strengthen its presence in the luxury sedan market," said Mr. Ding Lei, president of Shanghai GM.

"The new Cadillac SLS and Escalade as well as the new offering from Wuling will strengthen our position as the market leader in China. GM's multi-brand approach in China enables us to successfully compete in all important segments of the fastest growing market in the world. I am looking forward to finishing 2006 as another year of record growth for GM in China," said Kevin Wale, president and managing director of the GM China Group.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This interior should be in the USDM STS, and I think they should bring the 4" longer SLS here as well. The added length really helps the look of the car, and differentiates it from the CTS so much better. Why should China get a better top of the line Cadillac sedan than the US does, that makes no sense GM. Fix it.

I say include the rear console in a luxury package.  I'm not very fond of the HVAC vents but the rest of the interior is amazing.  Leather on the dashboard!  Why the NA STS does not have this is rediculous.

214166[/snapback]

Leather on the dash? Try leather everywhere! The only thing I see that isn't on the center stack and isn't a genuine material (leather wood, aluminum) is possible the glove box, but I can't tell either way.

That interior is fantastic. Makes the domestic STS look like crap. :blink:

214189[/snapback]

I agree completely. This SLS is amazing, its where Cadillac should have been when the STS came out. Why don't we get this car? What is GM thinking, don't they realize that the current STS can't compete here in the US. :hissyfit:

Give us the long and short wheel base of the China STS.

I think this is an STS that I could move up to from my CTS instead of having to jump all the way to a DTS if I wanted a bump up in size and luxury.

I still think the replacement for my CTS will be the '08 CTS, but if the STS refresh looks like this, things will get interesting having to pick between two very excellent cars.

Anyone else think this should be a clear preview of changes coming for the STS here, at least mainly the interior? That part, at least, seems to share a similar theme with what was recently introduced in the SRX here, so one would think that.

As for this car itself, the extra wheelbase definately helps it out. The current size is nice, but for a car of its pricepoint and apparent size, it really is fairly cramped--especially in the rear. Not that they'd offer a model like this here, but it does solve that issue as well.

I really like it, and also agree that they should have a special interior option for 4 buckets and a full center console like that across the STS line--even if limited, it should be pretty popular.

Wow. The interior of the SLS is truly beautiful compared with the STS here in the U.S. The only thing I don't particularly care for are the HVAC vents on the dash.

GM had better use this as the mid-cycle update on the STS in the U.S. Wheelbase stretch included.

When stretched like that it looks excellent, with a bit of Sixteen in the profile. The interior is fantastic -- and it best be what the STS looks like next year. In fact, it better be stretched like that otherwise the difference between STS and 2008 CTS will be non-existant in terms of size.

I like the full console, in fact it should always be an option on Buicks and Cadillacs. It looks expensive. I'd take the Buick Enclave with a full console and six seats! And like another poster said, the SLS is perfect as the bump up from the CTS. Let's hope this is the 2008 STS as a refresh.

the alluminum trim here actually looks better that what we get in the U.S. versions. I'm not fond of the stereo or audio controls, they look kind of glossy and like they might be cheap [but they might not be too], I also don't like the HVAC vents. Everything else is really wonderful.

What is it that China does that makes thier cars so much more wonderful than ours? Do they have better designers or do they get more budget? Are the parts cheaper to make over there so the cars can get trimmed really nicely on the inside?

I agree that the exterior length makes the design better, however, it's still lame like Cspec said.

I was looking at the interior of a fully louded sts and could not find what that slot behind the rear seat is. When looking even closer at the to interiors I noticed that the chinese car had heated, cooled and massaging seats :thumbsup: a much larger nav screen and way better wood.

As smart as all the moves cadillac has made i would bet my own money that everything you see in that SLS you will see in the states real soon.

BEAUTIFUL!

The interior is just perfect. I do think this will be on the North American STS since it shares a lot of the dash design with the new CTS especially with the shape and the placement of the HVAC vents.

Though, I'm expecting our refreshed STS won't be as nice due to the fact that it will be built in the US and it's so much more expensive to make this car here then in China due to the legacy costs. I'm just sayin.

Edited by Cadillacfan

If GM is still debating the viability of a ULS vehicle for NA, this model with all the bells and whistles would make a nice little supplement model here. Whether or not you view it in that regard, this vehicle (sans clear taillights, but with some more exterior sprucing, and powertrain boost) is a must for the North Americal market. If you want to truly compete with the big boys, suck it up and produce the true competitive product already, no excuses.

It seems like about a year ago GM was saying they weren't satisified with the STS interior and were saying that they would upgrade it soon. This has got to be where they're headed with the '08 update. It is in line with what they did to the SRX and I can't imagine them making this investment only for the Chinese version, especially with the platform globalization direction they've been moving toward.

the added length makes the car design LOOK better.

i totally expect the 08 interior to look like this. it's VERY similar to the next gen CTS interior.

I think the rear console should be an option. If priced right, that could be a well selling option. I know my parents would spring for it.

i just hope the US MCE gives it a better nose.

Edited by jbartley

8) This Car is amazing. :D This would allow me to stay in a car. At 6'6" tall the current STS is too small and no one can sit behind me as the drivers seat must be all the way back. This auto I could actually haul people. <_< When will GM realize that the STS is NOT a full size car. They need a car like this.

I fully expect this awesome interior to make it to the STS and DTS within the next year. It is the best I have ever seen out of GM. :idhitit:

I think this is an STS that I could move up to from my CTS instead of having to jump all the way to a DTS if I wanted a bump up in size and luxury.

I still think the replacement for my CTS will be the '08 CTS, but if the STS refresh looks like this, things will get interesting having to pick between two very excellent cars.

214272[/snapback]

It's pretty much clear that GM's path of thought is that only oversea countries get the better products.

:censored: YOU GM. Always shortchanging the market you should be offering the best products in. :stupid:

It's pretty much clear that GM's path of thought is that only oversea countries get the better products.

:censored:  YOU GM.  Always shortchanging the market you should be offering the best products in. :stupid:

214558[/snapback]

Another way of looking at it is that GM's market share is growing in China..the overall market there is growing rapidly, while in the US it's share is declining, and the market isn't growing overall.. GM is putting it's money where the growth potential is...

Very sumptuous car, good stopgap, I think it was evok who suggested that the next generation of this car takes the DTS name, in short and long wheelbase variations, an idea I fully support. I also fully support bringing this car to the States, complete with interior-but make a rear bench seat (power reclining, split) standard with the rear buckets optional-Cadillac needs to break out in features and models, and this car might help them continue to do that. However, make the rear larger and more stylish-the trunk should be at least 17 cubic feet, and I still think that's low-balling it, but maybe not, since the current model has a paltry 13-14 cubic feet.

I WONDERED WHY ALL THE FUSS FOR CHINA -- SELL A FEW CARS, BUT TEACH THEM HOW TO MAKE CARS THAT WILL SELL IN THE US.________ THEN IT CAME TO ME!! THE GM GUYS WANT TO FIX THE STS INTO THE CAR IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALL ALONG, AND THEY NEED THIS PUBLICITY AND REACTION TO GET THAT FUNDED IN AMERICA BY THE GM BEAN COUNTERS._______ YOU CANT BE "THE STANDARD OF THE WORLD" IF YOU ARE DOING END RUNS TO GET YOUR PRODUCT RIGHT, HALF WAY THROUGH ITS LIFE CYCLE. _______ THERE HAD BETTER BE A CRASH PROGRAM TO PRODUCE A VEHICLE WITH A FEATURES LIST THAT COMPARED TO THE LEXUS LS 460!!________ PLEASE DONT TELL ME THAT THE AMERICAN INDUSTRY IS LEFT WITH BEING A WHOLE CYCLE BEHIND JAPAN!![/b][/b][/size][/size][/font] :deadhorse: [/b][/font][/size][/font][/color]