• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
Northstar

Cadillac SLS from China

First the Chinese LaCrosse, now this (the interior is great!):

Cadillac showcases new SLS at Auto China 2006

Detroit -The General Motors China Group recently reported another sales record for the first nine months of 2006 (645,680 vehicles). These record sales are driven by Buick (+ 27.8 percent), Chevrolet (+51.0 percent), Cadillac (+27.1 percent) and Wuling (+38.7 percent), China's number one brand of mini-vehicles. At "Auto China 2006", this year's international motor show in Beijing, Shanghai GM is showcasing new models such as the Cadillac SLS and Escalade. In addition, an important new offering from the Wuling brand is to be premiered. Furthermore, GM concept cars such as the Saab Aero-X, Buick Enclave and Chevrolet WTCC Ultra will make their public debuts in China.

GM's luxury brand, Cadillac has enjoyed remarkable success since its introduction to the China luxury market in 2004. The Cadillac China portfolio, consisting of the CTS sedan, the XLR roadster and the SRX crossover, will now be complimented with the all-new SLS and the Escalade SUV. Based on the STS sport sedan, the SLS has been lengthened by 100mm to add rear seat legroom. The interior is designed to meet specific local needs in this primarily chauffeur-driven luxury segment. Three engine options will be available which include the 2.8L V6, a 3.6L V6 and the top-level Northstar 4.6L V8 with 239kW/320hp. The new SLS will be built at the Shanghai GM plant for the Chinese market.

"The Cadillac SLS is a very important addition to our line-up in China as it meets very specific market needs," said Jim Taylor, general manager of Cadillac. "Cadillac reacts to country specific requirements and is proud to offer the SLS to Chinese luxury customers who demand extra space in the rear and other features." Earlier this year, Cadillac introduced the new BLS sedan in Europe and other international markets to satisfy the need for a smaller Cadillac model and a turbodiesel engine option.

"The Cadillac SLS is a strategic addition for the Cadillac brand in China, which will enable Cadillac to strengthen its presence in the luxury sedan market," said Mr. Ding Lei, president of Shanghai GM.

"The new Cadillac SLS and Escalade as well as the new offering from Wuling will strengthen our position as the market leader in China. GM's multi-brand approach in China enables us to successfully compete in all important segments of the fastest growing market in the world. I am looking forward to finishing 2006 as another year of record growth for GM in China," said Kevin Wale, president and managing director of the GM China Group.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This interior should be in the USDM STS, and I think they should bring the 4" longer SLS here as well. The added length really helps the look of the car, and differentiates it from the CTS so much better. Why should China get a better top of the line Cadillac sedan than the US does, that makes no sense GM. Fix it.

not including the rear console, this should be the MCE that our STS gets.

The minor change in the grill actually bridges the gap between the CTS and DTS.

I wonder if The O.C. would drive it.

I say include the rear console in a luxury package. I'm not very fond of the HVAC vents but the rest of the interior is amazing. Leather on the dashboard! Why the NA STS does not have this is rediculous.

I say include the rear console in a luxury package.  I'm not very fond of the HVAC vents but the rest of the interior is amazing.  Leather on the dashboard!  Why the NA STS does not have this is rediculous.

214166[/snapback]

Leather on the dash? Try leather everywhere! The only thing I see that isn't on the center stack and isn't a genuine material (leather wood, aluminum) is possible the glove box, but I can't tell either way.

Wow, this is wonderful! This car makes sense in the US lineup because it is actually luxurious and large enough next to the CTS.

Maybe make all the new bits in Shanghai for everyday low prices! :)

That interior is fantastic. Makes the domestic STS look like crap. :blink:

214189[/snapback]

The domestic STS is crap.

I'm not as upset that this isn't out STS as much as I'm upset this isn't our DTS.

214207[/snapback]

Why does the name matter so much to you? I just want this available to the US.

Why does the name matter so much to you?  I just want this available to the US.

214217[/snapback]

I think he is staying that he'd like this to replace the DTS. Meaning no more FWD K-body DTS

That interior is fantastic. Makes the domestic STS look like crap. :blink:

214189[/snapback]

I agree completely. This SLS is amazing, its where Cadillac should have been when the STS came out. Why don't we get this car? What is GM thinking, don't they realize that the current STS can't compete here in the US. :hissyfit:

Give us the long and short wheel base of the China STS.

Advance Warning... This post is NSFW...

WHAT IN THE F*CK?! WHY THE F*CK HAVEN'T WE GOT THIS?!

Holy F*ckin Sh!t. What the F*ck are GM's exec's thinking?! North American's want this for f*ck's sake!

F*ck the f*cking f*ckers...

I think the STS refresh looking exactly like this is a good bet. The exterior is still kinda lame, but this is a quality interior.

I think this is an STS that I could move up to from my CTS instead of having to jump all the way to a DTS if I wanted a bump up in size and luxury.

I still think the replacement for my CTS will be the '08 CTS, but if the STS refresh looks like this, things will get interesting having to pick between two very excellent cars.

Anyone else think this should be a clear preview of changes coming for the STS here, at least mainly the interior? That part, at least, seems to share a similar theme with what was recently introduced in the SRX here, so one would think that.

As for this car itself, the extra wheelbase definately helps it out. The current size is nice, but for a car of its pricepoint and apparent size, it really is fairly cramped--especially in the rear. Not that they'd offer a model like this here, but it does solve that issue as well.

I really like it, and also agree that they should have a special interior option for 4 buckets and a full center console like that across the STS line--even if limited, it should be pretty popular.

Wow. The interior of the SLS is truly beautiful compared with the STS here in the U.S. The only thing I don't particularly care for are the HVAC vents on the dash.

GM had better use this as the mid-cycle update on the STS in the U.S. Wheelbase stretch included.

That interior NEEDS to be in the STS ASAP...and I don't think the SLS would be a bad option to bring over in general...

When stretched like that it looks excellent, with a bit of Sixteen in the profile. The interior is fantastic -- and it best be what the STS looks like next year. In fact, it better be stretched like that otherwise the difference between STS and 2008 CTS will be non-existant in terms of size.

I like the full console, in fact it should always be an option on Buicks and Cadillacs. It looks expensive. I'd take the Buick Enclave with a full console and six seats! And like another poster said, the SLS is perfect as the bump up from the CTS. Let's hope this is the 2008 STS as a refresh.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.