thegriffon

New Corsa Uncovered

Should Saturn sell the new Corsa?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Saturn sell the new Corsa?

• No way, Americans don't want cars this small.
    • Not for me, but plenty of other people would.
    • I'd buy it, but I don't know how many other people would.
    • Sweeeet!!! Wipes the floor with Yaris and Fit and throws them in the bin. Do it!!!

Latest spy photos from Lehmann Photo Syndication and Photographe Ewans-Kelly reveal almost all details of the near-to-production X4400 Corsa. Abandoning the Opel Junior-inspired design of the last two generations, the new Corsa looks very much like a smaller Astra in both 3- and 5-door forms, and shares much of its under-skin components and systems with the popular Fiat Grande Punto.

Go to spyshots of the 5-door at German Car Fans

Go to spyshots of the 3-door at cars-prototypes

Substantially bigger than the Yaris and the shoulder-pad–wearing Fit, so much more stylish than the Korean twins (Rio and Accent), the new Corsa has everything it takes to dominate the small-car segment in North America (especially with a probable 180 hp turbo version). Is GM ignoring a potential hit by not bringing the Corsa to the US? Scion xA sales are continuing to rise, Yaris sold over 6000 in April, and even the expensive Aerio is up 50% this year. With the Aveo showing its age against newer entries, does GM need a fresh new entry, or is demand for small compacts not strong enough?

I say bring it here, with a gas-sipper gas engine, a little torque-monster diesel, and the turbo. As the smallest Saturn, and with that range of engines, it stands a good chance of doing well.

It would be the perfect Saturn to help GM improve it's gas mileage image (not reality mind you, just image).

It's a great looking car. Just put in an engine that gets great gas mileage and bringing over is a no brainger. The Aveo is GM's only subcompact. That's ridiculous for a company with 8 divisions. Imagine Saturn with this car, the Astra and a new VUE. GM could have a division where all of its cars are actually competitive.

I like it a lot, especially the 3 door.

Even though it is small, it doesn't have the 'roller skate' look that many small cars have with those tiny wheels.

This would fit into GM's portfolio nicely. Yes there is the redesigned Aveo in this category, but the Aveo doesn't traditionally get good gas mileage compared to other cars in it's segment. Also, it appears the Aveo will no longer be offered in a 3 door hatch. Finally, you could give this opel based on to Saturn....it would allow more than one division to have a small, economy, entry level product....that is not a total rebadge.

The Aveo is an honorable first attempt, but it's real world fuel mileage is disappointing. A higher performance subcompact like the Corsa would be a huge seller north of the border and I think would do well in the States.

Does anybody here think America won't be seeing $4.50 gas before long? China is going to need another Saudi Arabia if it achieves HALF the per capita fuel consumption as the U.S.

Where is that oil going to come from?

The Aveo is an honorable first attempt, but it's real world fuel mileage is disappointing.  A higher performance subcompact like the Corsa would be a huge seller north of the border and I think would do well in the States.

Does anybody here think America won't be seeing $4.50 gas before long?  China is going to need another Saudi Arabia if it achieves HALF the per capita fuel consumption as the U.S.

Where is that oil going to come from?

Kazakhstan

I like the looks of that, a lot. It's really piss-poor cammo though, you can still read "Corsa" underneath the tape.

I think It'd do very well in the NA market if the Yaris and Fit sell well. I would wait a while though to see what their reception would be.

What platform is that based on? It looks kind of Delta-ish to me.

C'mon GM, bring it over the pond! Lets give Honda and Toyota a reason to have a Fit.

If gas prices were high and this came with a beefy structure, ESP, and side curtain airbags, I'd consider one as an economical alternative to the MINI.

Bring it! I would beat the Ford Focus hatch and it would help take more market share from VW Golf which is expensive now. Not to mention it would give Saturn a volume car to sell.

This would be the perfect entry-level Saturn. Saturn would greatly benefit by having this, the next Astra, and then the Aura above them. It looks good, is economical, and would give Saturn something to sell before the ION replacement arrives.

Bring it over GM!

Ravenfreak... how old are you, sir? "Corsica" certainly never entered my mind in connection with this car... but, Corvair Corsa certainly did, and that was a much cooler car than this little guy.

I wonder if a convertible is in the works... it could be a Corsa Spyder. :)

I also thought of Corsica, but I doubt many people would. Either way though, I don't much care for the "Corsa" name.

When is the Corsa set to debut? I'd like to see the interior.

Except for being too tall and ugly, I think it should definitely come here! In other words, it'll fit right in with the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and the less-ugly Toyota Yaris (in other words, its small but really not that small). I'm not wild about it, mostly the styling and the probably-cheap Opel/Vauxhall standard-fare interior, but GM should send it here as say, the Saturn Signal?

Hmmm... Saturn Signal... has a nice "ring" to it. Paint the car bright orange and it could be mounted in a '59 Buick's grille as a Turn Signal.

i think the 3 door one looks nice... the 5 door looks too much like the already existant aveo...

given. that said, aggressive wheel tire option'd make this thing sing. :yes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook