GM @ NAIAS '08: Cadillac CTS Coupe Concept

pretty fantastic looking... until i get past the c pillar... where did the decklid go? this is disturbingly close to a hatchback and that almost ruins the whole thing for me... i understand that current trends are leaning towards less decklid... but there is no reason to make it that small... not only does it look bad, it also loses functionality... think of an old fleetwood brougham... the decklid was so big you could put a fiero in the trunk with the right equipment... but these days even in cars that have trunk space nearing the size of the fleetwood (DTS comes to mind) the decklids seem to be shrinking to the point were you need a working knowledge of advanced geometry in order to get a golf bag inside... granted once its in there is a ton more space around it... but what good is having an enormous trunk if you cant fit enormous things in the opening for it?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, the more productionized version, with the side chrome window surround, looks better, IMO. I'm not crazy about those wheels, however, as they remind me of the Riviera concept.

I keep seeing references to different versions..is there more than one CTS coupe concept???

Except for the height of the decklid, this is so good.

I'll complain a lil.

The profile dies with the overlythickness of that C (B?) pillar. There's way too much they couldve done to make the profile stonger. I understand they were trying to emulate that low roof 'badass' look of the Benz whose name I can't remember, but this ends up looking like a low rent hatch from the side.

I do prefer this car's rear to the sedan however. they are bringing respect back to the old 'fin! How long til it's on a Toyota?

"Oh this is not a good Cadillac car. The weight is going to be 4000lb. The engine is going to be anemic. It will not be practical. It will be having 19way unicontour seats instead of having 20way multicontour seats. BMW is going to bring a twinturbo with 310.5 hp and give a 0.1% better fuel economy. The new Mercedes CLK is already going to have a DI producing 330.25hp. The Infiniti is going to increase the hp and Lexus is already being rumored to bring a coupe which is I tell you going to be better than this. Audi A5 is already loved by car magazines. Untill Cadillac meets or exceeds these and be a standard of the world I do not think it is going to be good enough."

Now my assessment ---- That thing is Orgasmic. Good job Caddy.

"Oh this is not a good Cadillac car. The weight is going to be 4000lb. The engine is going to be anemic. It will not be practical. It will be having 19way unicontour seats instead of having 20way multicontour seats. BMW is going to bring a twinturbo with 310.5 hp and give a 0.1% better fuel economy. The new Mercedes CLK is already going to have a DI producing 330.25hp. The Infiniti is going to increase the hp and Lexus is already being rumored to bring a coupe which is I tell you going to be better than this. Audi A5 is already loved by car magazines. Untill Cadillac meets or exceeds these and be a standard of the world I do not think it is going to be good enough."

Now my assessment ---- That thing is Orgasmic. Good job Caddy.

Maybe they can get the DI 3.6 to 335 hp for this... I love the design..the only thing I would change would be to use regular door handles.

Maybe they can get the DI 3.6 to 335 hp for this... I love the design..the only thing I would change would be to use regular door handles.

"Oh no it is still not a good car. BMW and MB is very well reputed. Cadillac is loosing the battle. It will not have the electronics which will make you stop the car as soon as it detects you need to pee. Jaguar has the best interior which is going to be made by Tata. Audi has already introduced a coupe which will have four doors when you stop and two doors when you are highway cruising. Cadillac is no where near them." :P

My guess on the lack of Sixty8 response:

1. He found that one pic where it looks like there's no B-pillar.

2. Jaw drops as he asks, can it be?? He looks for more info and finds the quote from Bob Lutz saying there is none.

3. Hops a flight to Detroit so he can try to become Mrs. Maximum Bob.

:P

Or maybe he is working at one of his two jobs. :rolleyes:

The car certainly benefits from the lack of a B-pillar thanks to a higher potential MSRP.

Still, the rump of this car detracts from its style, IMO.

I would expect no B pillar here as keeping the sticker price down will not be a problem on this car as it is more expensive to start vs the Camaro where it had to compete with the Mustang.

The V6 engines now are over 300 HP and we have not even see what more they can and will do to them. I know GM has a NA 3.6 at 320 HP in the wings and I am sure they are also working on Turbo's. We will have a V6 well into the 400 HP range before it is said and done.

As for the number of cylinders it is just in your mind as the power output is key not the number of cylinders.

I agree as far as output is concerned, but I am old school and nothing competes with the sound of a good sounding throaty V8.

I don't know if this was answered or not... The pic Ted used in this post is a different vehicle than the one in the NAIAS pics.

Yes, the one in the first post appears to be a rendering for a production version.

I didn't want to go and post pics from Autoblog, and that was the best GM sourced image at the time.

So does GM. The CTS is already being sold with a 2.9 litre diesel in Europe.

No it isn't . It will be but it isn't yet.

Will this new coupe have AWD and V version ?

Will it be same engine like in CTS-V or something less powerful?

And it seems even more competiro are thinking about putting V8 engines in their cars (it seems alfa will be getting one according to rumors, hyundai has tau V8) so i hope cadillac won't abandon their V8 in non V models.

I have a feeling the really big wheels and the proximity of the pictures is throwing off the size perspective for us and in real life it will look bigger than it does here. this may help the profile. of course, there's doane who said it looks hotter in person.

and a big thumbs up to Caddy for surprising us with this concept. they needed something to create buzz.

EDIT: those shots on the first page are looking fantastic. I too love the chrome element around the window, added with the no B-pillar or lack of or hidden or whatever it looks fantastic. The vent also works real well here.

one more note on where this will fit in in the market. they are going after infiniti's shape but with more aggressive styling than the current one and yet retaining more elegance thanks to Caddy's superior design theme. this is easily as elegant as anything MB, Bentley, BMW put out.

Edited by turbo200

It's perfection from the c-pillar forwards. But...it needs more of a deck; the back looks too stubby. Or lower the rear a bit so that the top of the tail lights line up with the greenhouse.

I think the proportions are just fine. Look, coupes aren't meant to be practical. If you want that, there's a nice CTS sedan with your name on it. When Infiniti introduced its G coupe, it's wasn't practical either in the rear. Neither is BMW's 6 series. Heck, the Mercedes CLK sedan isn't practical either and they sell a boat load of them.

I think we won't see the 20/21" wheels on the production car. I hope they keep the wedge bumper in the back, even if it isn't practical either. Just about everything else in this car is buildable. What's really interesting is that this car really doesn't have a true exact price/size competitor. The closest competitor for size is undoubtedly the BMW 6. Both cars are within spitting distance of each other for length, height and width, but the Ct Coupe has a longer wheelbase (should be cool for handling). Of course, the 6 series starts with a V8 and you can't get one for less than $75K. The Mercedes CLK is a smaller vehicle, starting at $47K for the CLK350. The Infiniti G37 is probably the closest real competitor but its still a shorter vehicle. Regardless, Cadillac looks like they have another winner on their hands. Now we just need a V-series...

I think the proportions are just fine. Look, coupes aren't meant to be practical. If you want that, there's a nice CTS sedan with your name on it. When Infiniti introduced its G coupe, it's wasn't practical either in the rear. Neither is BMW's 6 series. Heck, the Mercedes CLK sedan isn't practical either and they sell a boat load of them.

I think we won't see the 20/21" wheels on the production car. I hope they keep the wedge bumper in the back, even if it isn't practical either. Just about everything else in this car is buildable. What's really interesting is that this car really doesn't have a true exact price/size competitor. The closest competitor for size is undoubtedly the BMW 6. Both cars are within spitting distance of each other for length, height and width, but the Ct Coupe has a longer wheelbase (should be cool for handling). Of course, the 6 series starts with a V8 and you can't get one for less than $75K. The Mercedes CLK is a smaller vehicle, starting at $47K for the CLK350. The Infiniti G37 is probably the closest real competitor but its still a shorter vehicle. Regardless, Cadillac looks like they have another winner on their hands. Now we just need a V-series...

I wonder if they will call the production version the CTS coupe or the CTC.

Get ready to have Sixty8 come in to complain that it has B-pillars...

Well maybe someday GM will stop half-assin' it.

THIS is a high-end Cadillac, not a "affordable

Chevy muscle car"... what's your excuse for B

pillars now? Pathetic.

I wish Cadillac still made Cadillacs, not Lexus

wannabes. We finally have a world class RWD

chassis and this is the half-assed $h! they

build on it? <_<

I love this thing. Very nice competition for the CLK.

Not even CLOSE, as sexy as the roofline is it's still

a two door sedan, not a hardtop like the Merceds.

Too bad so sad.

I read all the previous posts. I like the sedan a lot better, because the coupe from the side (much like a Prius) looks like a wedge of cheese. The back is too hatchback looking for me, I don't like the yellow on the interior or brakes, but I assume the production version will ditch that for conventional colors.

About the CAFE thing, BMW and Mercedes don't have Hummers or pick-up trucks that get 14-16 mpg, and their volume comes from small to midsize cars that they can diesel power. GM's volume is in trucks, which hurts their CAFE position (although not as much as Chrysler). Plus Mercedes started selling Smart cars here this year, and BMW has Mini, those balance out the V10 and V12 cars they have. And if they don't meet CAFe standards, they will just pay the fine.

pillars now? Pathetic.

chassis and this is the half-assed &#036;h&#33; they

build on it? <_<

Too bad so sad.

Although based on the sedan, the CT Coupe shares only the instrument panel, console, headlamps, front fenders and grille with the production model. Unique elements include:

* Classic hardtop styling, with no B-pillar

* CTS production windshield laid at a faster angle to create a sleeker profile

* Chrome, split seven-spoke wheel design; 20-inch front wheels and 21-inch rear wheels

* Sculpted lower front fascia with unique brake-cooling vents

* Slim-profile outside mirrors

* XLR-type hidden door handles with proximity remote opening

* Unique front fender vents

* Diamond-cut rear fascia with mesh lower grilles and center-outlet exhaust

* Taillamps with a subtle fin profile and are highlighted with LED lighting technology with light pipes

* Rear spoiler integrated into the center high-mounted stop lamp

* Sculpted roof-mounted antenna for OnStar, XM Satellite Radio, etc.

leRn 2 reEd??

pillars now? Pathetic.

build on it? <_<

Too bad so sad.

Well, perhaps in 50 years when you actually are ready to buy models coming out now, your memory will be so bad that you forget it doesn't have a B-pillar? :P

The trunk looks too short my taste, but over all a really nice car. Would be nice if they called it the Eldorado though.

It is too short overall to be an Eldo... or an 'ESC'. Caddy should bring that back as a coupe version of the STS.

I agree with most that the deck appears too short, and it makes the car look like a hatchback.

I'd buy this, but it is too small.

A 2 door STS would be like a Monte Carlo, people don't want huge coupes.

I was wondering how long the CTC is and what the wheelbase is. I am hoping it is shorter than the 4 door version, it looks like it is. I hope the doors aren't super long like the Monte Carlo.

I like this car a lot! I would much rather have this CTC than the CTS, although the CTS is still one of my favorite 2008 GM vehicles.

I will say that as soon as I saw this picture:

0002ctscoupe.jpg

I immediately thought of this:

hw2004_003.jpg

Which of course in my book, a car sharing design cues with the Cadillac Cien isn't a bad thing!

I love everything except for the lack of a rear deck. It looks like a really big hatchback on an otherwise excellent design. Lengthen the rear and/or fix the C pillar and it will be perfect!

A short rear deck and a long hood is classic muscle car proportions. Think late '60's fastback Mustang. Heck, you could even make the argument of the '80 Seville except I think this trunk is far better executed than the bustle-back of that vehicle. Ultimately, the trunk will be smaller, but again, it's a coupe. It's not meant to be practical.

One more point in this rear deck's favor is the European market. They like hatchback cars, even expensive ones. One that looks like one but still has the noise isolation of a rear trunk might find buyers.

Edited by Sevenfeet

A 2 door STS would be like a Monte Carlo, people don't want huge coupes.

I was wondering how long the CTC is and what the wheelbase is. I am hoping it is shorter than the 4 door version, it looks like it is. I hope the doors aren't super long like the Monte Carlo.

oh thats why the purist cried foul when the 4 door chargers came out... cause they didnt really want the 2 dr coupe. they are relatively the same size. i thought the montes sold pretty good for what they were. build it and see, if a year it dont do well scrap it. theres always going to be a market for coupes, they just arent in demand like sedans.

build on it? <_<

And Lexus wished their cars look this good.

We've gone through this many times, and you still don't get it. There is NO SIXTEEN.

pillars now? Pathetic.

build on it? <_<

Too bad so sad.

You're like a f@#king broken record.

The Mercedes coupe you're talking about is $50k+.

Edited by bowtie_dude