Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

The last Monte Carlo was made today

51 posts in this topic

The Last Chevrolet Monte Carlo comes off the line Wednesday, June 20th at 11:00am
Car Plant Auto News
Posted Image

There are special plans for the last two Monte Carlo models. The last model will be placed in the General Motors Heritage Centre, a contemporary meeting facility filled with 100 years of automotive history, located in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

The second to last Monte Carlo production unit will be sent to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to appear at the Brickyard 400 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race on July 29. All Chevrolet race drivers will sign the car and it will be sent to Charlotte, North Carolina for auction.

---------------

Monte Carlo - A Photo History
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
1st row (l-r): 1970 Monte Carlo | 1972 Monte Carlo | 1974 Monte Carlo | 1976 Monte Carlo | 1979 Monte Carlo
2nd row (l-r): 1983 Monte Carlo SS | 1987 Monte Carlo Aeroback | 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 | 2000 Monte Carlo lineup | 2006 Monte Carlo SS

Squandered potential, IMO. GM could have done so much more with this car than they actually did. I really hate to see it go, even the wrong-wheel drive versions.

The Last Chevrolet Lumnia LTZ Coupe comes off the line Wednesday, June 20th at 11:00am

Car Plant Auto News

Posted Image

There are special plans for the last two Lumnia LTZ Coupe models. The last model will be placed in the General Motors Heritage Centre, a contemporary meeting facility filled with 100 years of automotive history, located in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

The second to last Lumnia LTZ Coupe production unit will be sent to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to appear at the Brickyard 400 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race on July 29. All Chevrolet race drivers will sign the car and it will be sent to Charlotte, North Carolina for auction.

Fixed....

I'm channeling Knightfan here....

I see no point in putting it in the Heritage Museum; what makes it so special? There are many better cars, who cares if it's the last one.

Lumnia, eh? Typos aside, it would be more of an Impala coupe for this generation.

As the last of the original personal luxury coupes, its end marks the passing of an era when coupes didn't have to be sporty, expensive, or be convertibles to sell.

That's exactly the problem with the Monte Carlo. It looks like all the boring sedans currently on the road, except with two doors. There's nothing visually appealing about it, and the lack of two extra doors hampers its utility. What assets remain, then?

It is the last 2 door car to compete in NASCAR. That says something....

The Last Chevrolet Monte Carlo comes off the line

*raises eyebrow*

So ... this one was RWD? Interesting.

If not ... and it was indeed FWD like the Luminas (2 and 4 door) have been from 1990 to today ... then this news is over 20 years old....

According to the book _Chevrolet: The Complete History_ [copyright 1996 by Publications International LTD], on page 348: "With the new Lumina coupe and sedan effectively replacing their Celebrity counterparts...." And, on page 359: "Taking the place of the aging Celebrity sedan was the Lumina sedan ... a coupe version followed in the fall."

Also, the Lumina shared types (Eurosport), dashboards (flat/horizontal), tail lights (3 square on each side, across the back panel, more or less) and FWD with the Celebrity.....

The Lumina coupe was redubbed "monte carlo" in 1995 ... with the Lumina sedan getting the "impala" monicker, starting in 2000.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Who do you think you’re talkin’ to?" ... Lee Roy Parnell ... 'What Kind Of Fool Do You Think I Am?'

Sad to see it go. I actually liked the last 2000-on Monte Carlos (i was apparently in the minority, but whatever.)

The Saab 9-7X won't be missed, in fact, I hadn't even realized it was still made. The Monte Carlo, as far as I'm concerned, will be.

And the world gives a big, solid, 'Meh' .

It's just an Impala, minus two-doors. The last Monte was built on December 12, 1987.

I agree with Mustang84.

Good riddance! A horrible looking car that carried the nascar image with it wherever it went. GM finally wised up and realized they need to do much much better with designs and pr.

It's died before. the Accord has a two door variant and so will the next gen. The new Altima that just came out also has a coupe. The market remains. I think this will just be another break in the line until maybe an Epsilon II (oh, I mean Global Midsized Vehicle Architecture) Monte.

I've never understood the whole "Monte Carlos can only be rear wheel drive" thing. A hundred other marques switched driving wheels in the 80's/90's, what makes the Monte switch so sacreligeous? The Riviera made the switch in 79 and it'd been around just as long as the Monte was in 86. Is our current Impala not an Impala either?

Goodbye to one of the only Chevy's I would buy.

Disgusting! GM has squandered another good old nameplate and let it wither and die needlessly. If they kept this car up to date and didn't cheapen the hell out of it I think it would have done much better. I know plenty of people that would buy a 2 door coupe if it was a modern interpretation with quality features and interior.

The title should read: Another good mid size car and name are being taken away from us again as GM scrambles to try and figure out what they are doing!

Disgusting! GM has squandered another good old nameplate and let it wither and die needlessly. If they kept this car up to date and didn't cheapen the hell out of it I think it would have done much better. I know plenty of people that would buy a 2 door coupe if it was a modern interpretation with quality features and interior.

The title should read: Another good mid size car and name are being taken away from us again as GM scrambles to try and figure out what they are doing!

Ahh, don't worry maybe Chevrolet will start using the Pontiac naming convention, but instead of using G5, G6, G8, etc, they can use C for Chevrolet. Coming to a Chevy showroom near you, the 2009 Chevrolet model lineup the all new, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6! These are high quality names with lots of heritage behind them. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Is the Malibu not a Malibu?

Is the Grand Prix not a Grand Prix?

Driving wheels don't define a vehicle except in certain cases like the Toronado or the Cord 810.

About friggin time!

The end of the Ws can't come quickly enough!

Bring on the Zetas! :pbjtime:

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like Big Coupes. Now what is a 28 year old grown man supposed to drive. And hell no, I don't want that girlish small Accord coupe. The Monte wasn't the best performing, but it had so much potential. It should have been rwd and had a V8 small block in it. It should have been (from an engineered and good ol balls and brute force of GM rwd fun' stand point)what the 94-96 Impala SS was during its small stretch, but in coupe form.( The last generation with the new front was a looker in my opinion, but that means nothing if it doesn't perform. I own a Buick Riviera and since this is the end of the personal luxury coupe in America - I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

What a shame.

The 80's were the most fun. I also own an 1987 Monte Carlo as my weekend holiday toy and "damn" that thing is so much fun to drive! That's another reason I'm sore over this cancellation

I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

I have 3 little letters for you:

CTC

It's coming...

i thought they looked good... eh. so how much production does this take out of Oshawa? ~40k a year? i bet the lacrosse super will take some of that production back.... but only a little. i do think that this is the first step, and the next ones to zeta need to happen faster

As much as I like the Monte.....it's about damn time! :rolleyes:

It has reeked like the Cavalier for at least a few years now (Left to rot on vine-last real update?)

Deep discounts can't move these things off the lot.

Heck, some dealerships still have 2005s on the new car lots..... <_<

I wouldn't be surprised if MC's rebates almost make it Cavalier cheap (11-13 grand)

Sadly, like the Cavalier-I don't think this name is coming back...it just got too badly beaten up this time around.....

I will still miss the MCs though. :thumbsup:

I will miss this car and have seen many 2006-2007 models in my area pop up recently. Lots of them red, black or white SS's. They were actually a pretty good car, I know a little past the experation date, but they looked good and I love the small block V8 for the last two years. Someday they will become a collectors dream. I wish they would have done a white/orange special edition SS model at the end. Maybe they figured it was better to let it die softly. I also loved the rear end on them. Someday I might own an LS4 SS. Sad to see them go!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room