Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

8th gen civic

toyoguy

Is the screen standard even if you don't get NAV? It's going to have a lot of blank space if it's not. The other pic of the interior I saw was tan, black, silver, and dark gray, which looked really bad. It also had a horrible two-spoke steering wheel which was far worse than the one pictured (which is pretty fugly).

I agree, the two-spoke wheel was pretty nasty. It looks to me like a warped '06 Accord, which could be good to some...not so good to me. The coupe looks like it's trying way too hard to be an RSX/IS clone, with more than a bit of Ion in the front and an awkward interior layout. Edited by El Scorcho

The other pic of the interior I saw was tan, black, silver, and dark gray, which looked really bad. It also had a horrible two-spoke steering wheel which was far worse than the one pictured (which is pretty fugly).

[post="295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hybrid most likely

I think it looks like a saturn in the front on a couple of pics, but not too bad. Nav is a nice touch

[post="324"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

manual trans, speed is likely on the above display

This new Civic should set the standard yet again for small cars. The interior looks great! Made of high quality materials and adventorous in design. I really like the above steering wheel, but the other two-spoke one, well I hope that's just for the hybrid, cause it's pretty wierd. I still don't like the design, but it's gotten a lot better, and the two door is very sweet. Cobalt will be, sadly, left behind. It will have to sell on value, yet again a case of GM being too short-sighted to really engineer and design the hell out of a vehicle. This interior looks very well made and fits in perfectly with the market it is appealing to. This will be the best car in the class easily. And rear seat space should improve on the old Civic (which is better than the Cobalt already) since it's gonna get bigger.

I certainly see nothing ground breaking here. The civic lost quite a bit of it's enthusiast rep in recent years and sales have been on the decline overall IIRC. The koreans are eating heavily into this segment and the civic needs to be top-shelf & get back to it's roots to try and rebuild that; I don't see the funky bloated details on this one getting the job done.

Futuristic is a good word for it. I'm not so sure thats what Civic drivers really want. The interior certainly is not better than anything in its class...exterior styling is an improvement (which isn't saying much) but it may be too "out there" for the average import buyer. Of course what do I know...they do buy elements and Scions.

What is it with the Audi knockoffs for tailights on the sedan? First Audi, then Saab and now Honda Civic. It makes you wonder if the same designer got hired at all three. And this cab forward thing is dated looking. Look at the base of the windshield how far over the front wheels it goes...yikes.

doesnt matter what it looks like, it will sell.  its a honda civic, there is an AUTOMATIC market for it. unfortunately there are few GM cars this can be said for.

[post="422"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the Impala's market is automatic. And if there was a Camaro, folks would get right on it...

As far as that Civic, if they brought the hatchback here also, then we'd know Honda was serious.

It looks huge, and Honda once said "no big cars".

[post="786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Honda has all these mandates against what they would do with the H badge. No big cars, no V-8s, no turbos....whatever...

The North American version of the Civic is definately fugly. The Euro version really isn't too bad though. The interior is unique, but the quality of material looks pretty poor, especially that darker area of dash covering the speedo and NAV. The steering wheel seems fairly plush though. I know seeing and feeling are two different things, but in the photo below there seems to be a lot of shine on that dash giving it a plastiky look.

Posted Image

After browsing around various forums, I have found that not many people like this new Civic. The Civic used to be pretty nimble...now it's just a bloated combination of various design elements. Will Honda win back praise in the compact car segment, or will sales continue to slide? Only time will tell.

There's the pic I saw before (the one mustang84 posted). I count six different colors right in front of the driver, and the steering wheel looks like it came from the Cavalier. The gearshift if fugly too, and I still don't understand why the only traditional guage is the RPM... it would make more sense to put that in the readout or whatever above the guage cluster and make the speedo the lone traditional guage.

One major problem I see with the Civic is the MPV-like angled windshield. It forces Honda to have a window in front of the mirrors and makes the front end look stubby with the short hood. Edited by CSpec

This new Civic should set the standard yet again for small cars. The interior looks great! Made of high quality materials and adventorous in design. I really like the above steering wheel, but the other two-spoke one, well I hope that's just for the hybrid, cause it's pretty wierd. I still don't like the design, but it's gotten a lot better, and the two door is very sweet. Cobalt will be, sadly, left behind. It will have to sell on value, yet again a case of GM being too short-sighted to really engineer and design the hell out of a vehicle. This interior looks very well made and fits in perfectly with the market it is appealing to. This will be the best car in the class easily. And rear seat space should improve on the old Civic (which is better than the Cobalt already) since it's gonna get bigger.

[post="453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you being serious?

It's unfortunate, but we all know Honda will be given all kinds of kudos and props for being "forward" and "futuristic" and "taking a chance"....because you know you're gonna see this thing on the street heavily, goofy areas be damned.....it will push all the other compacts to do some of the same things, because it's considered one of the benchmarks to compete with in the U.S. The Cobalt's perfectly cool with me, especially the SS coupe, but we all saw this coming....

I think the cobalt will benefit from the radical nature of this new styling. the jetta went and left for the high ground and the civic has gone for the wierd ground. Corolla and Cobalt will benefit. Focus is old, Mazda 3 is more expensive than a Mazda6. Edited by regfootball

The car looks pregnant. The interior in these pictures is too weird. Did anyone buy the Prius because they thought it was good looking? I don't think so. They bought them because they fell for the inflated fuel economy numbers. Why would Honda think they could go all Jetsons with this thing? Long lost Honda slogan: "We Keep It Simple." And how will this dash go over with the ricer crowd? No more custom instrument clusters and no more aftermarket stereos, Honda has seen to that. This car further distances Honda from the grass roots tuners that made them big in the 90's. Cobalt is highly customizable, which should play in its favor. Edited by ocnblu

The car looks pregnant.  The interior in these pictures is too weird.  Did anyone buy the Prius because they thought it was good looking?  I don't think so.  They bought them because they fell for the inflated fuel economy numbers.  Why would Honda think they could go all Jetsons with this thing?  Long lost Honda slogan:  "We Keep It Simple."

[post="1685"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You have a point there... and I know two people with 2004 Priuseseses that have another excuse they bring up when I notice their fuel economy reads 43.8mpg:

"Oh, well, we really bought it for the PZEV."

Uh huh.

Sorry, not my cup of tea. I don't want to drive UFOs. The front looks like a Ion coupe with Bug Bunny's tooth bolted on. That two spoke steering wheel actually showed up like 10+ years ago in another Honda concept. I can't remember what the name is, but I'm 100% sure it's a Honda concept. The three-spoke isn't that better, either. Aren't those taillights on the current Civic coupe already? Edited by ToniCipriani

I thought the current sedan was decent-looking, although I tend to like cars with conservative styling (*ahem, Buick, *cough*). Although the outside isn't so revolutionary, the inside is way behind something I'd want to look at. That giant tachometer behind the steering wheel, followed by a digital speedometer? Gimme one type or the other.

You have a point there... and I know two people with 2004 Priuseseses that have another excuse they bring up when I notice their fuel economy reads 43.8mpg:

"Oh, well, we really bought it for the PZEV."

Uh huh.

[post="1688"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

43.8mpg is still roughly 10 - 13 more MPG than my car gets. Hybrids aren't all just about improved gas mileage or more power without a larger engine. They emit way less emissions, too.

Well, they are finally designing cars that look like the 21st century. The shape is like those cars we were promised in Back To The Future II. I give Honda an A for effort in trying risky designs like this. Eventually all the other Japanese manufacturers will follow in these 21st century designs. LoL, knowing GM they will stillbe having "revolutionary" designs that look like theyre from 1998.